How to clear a "squib"?

PDA

jimherb
December 5, 2012, 02:34 PM
While shooting my SW 642 yesterday, instead of a "bang", I heard a "pfffft."
Sure enough, there is a Speer Gold Dot bullet sticking about half-way out the bbl. What is the best way to dislodge this sucker without damaging my Smith? (Mea Culpa, it has been a long time since I fired this revolver and the round has been in there for a long time--not a knock on Speer.):confused:

If you enjoyed reading about "How to clear a "squib"?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
rcmodel
December 5, 2012, 02:37 PM
Get yourself a 5/16" brass rod at the hardware store and drive it back out through the cylinder window.

Put a few drops of oil or bore cleaner solvent in the bore behind it first and it won't take much driving.

rc

M-Cameron
December 5, 2012, 02:43 PM
Get yourself a 5/16" brass rod at the hardware store and drive it back out through the cylinder window.

Put a few drops of oil or bore cleaner solvent in the bore behind it first and it won't take much driving.

this.

it is essential you use either Brass or Aluminum rods.......do not use steel or wood, as steel will mar the barrel and wood will splinter and jam things up even more.

if it is being stubborn, try soaking it in penetrating oil overnight.

highorder
December 5, 2012, 03:05 PM
Funny, I just tapped out a squib this morning. .22lr Colbri about an inch from the muzzle of my old Springfield model 15.

I keep a brass rod next to the rifle.

I've made a few brass range rods along the way too. People that own a revolvers are more likely to reload it seems. Powderpuff loads are fun to experiment with.

351 WINCHESTER
December 5, 2012, 05:40 PM
Same thing happened to me while hunting. It was a .38 wadcutter. Squib. I broke off a branch of hardwood of suitable diameter, striped it and pushed the bullet back into the case. Sometimes you have to use what you have on hand.

DeadFlies
December 5, 2012, 07:33 PM
I had a cast lead round get stuck in the barrel of my M94. I put it in the freezer for about an hour and then knocked it out with a wooden dowel and a hammer. YMMV.

Dr_B
December 5, 2012, 07:46 PM
I keep a piece of 1/4 inch thick wooden dowel rod in my range bag. Used it a couple of times. Works great, lasts a long time.

If you enjoyed reading about "How to clear a "squib"?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!