The High Road's Search function stinks!

PDA

theCZ
March 3, 2004, 01:21 PM
I know that there is a wealth of knowledge available on Thehighroad.org, but I am feeling like I can only find a tiny portion of it! Why? Because I can't search for words with less than 3 characters. For example, I can't search for CZ, or 22, such as CZ 75, unless I put in a dash between them. Same goes for if I search for 22 Hornet. Are there any tricks so I can search for my favorite 2 character acronyms, words, numbers, etc?

:cuss:

If you enjoyed reading about "The High Road's Search function stinks!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
J Jones
March 3, 2004, 01:35 PM
Using the * often helps substitute for missing letters on vBulletin, but I think I agree that there are enough numerical combinations and acronyms to make some changes worthwhile.

Rocket Man
March 3, 2004, 01:36 PM
You can put a * in front of your search, such as *22.
That should take care of it.

another48hrs
March 3, 2004, 01:47 PM
I think you need to think outside of the box. Don't search directly if the word is only two letters long. For example instead of looking for "22" search for "22lr". When looking for things "CZ" I just try and think of the exact item I'm looking for, maybe I want to see threads about the "PCR" or "527", most companies have names for products which have more than two characters, but if you find a problem where they only have two characters like a Smith and Wesson revolvers I just add an "m" infront of the number. Seriously though with the 22 Hornet I would just search for "Hornet". Its one of those words that is not used that often, sure you may get stuff about people having to fight off hornets with an AR15, but you'll defenintely get everything about the 22 Hornet round.

I think the * is great, but I wouldn't use it on the 22 maybe on the cz, because it searches for all words that contain those two characters. With 22 you get stuff like 22lr, 223, 223wsm, $220, etc... But not many words have the characters cz.

JohnBT
March 3, 2004, 01:55 PM
It always irritates me when I search for something, get no results and then have to wait for the 30-second time limit to expire before I can search again.

For instance, I just searched for Momba Sling and got no results in 0.026993 seconds. Rounding it off, that left me with 30 seconds to come over here and whine.

I won the Momba Sling in the Cavalry Arms raffle and don't have a gun to put it on. :) It was second prize...first was a rifle. :( So close.

John

Mal H
March 3, 2004, 02:08 PM
JohnBT - you might try the correct name, "mamba" sling instead. ;) You won't get many hits here, but there is some info elsewhere on the 'net.

sm
March 3, 2004, 02:17 PM
I cheat :p

I use the *
I search under a specific forum
I search under a particular username.

For instance if I need /want a quote I've seen I search under the username "pax". If I'm really good [ read my memory is working] and I recall it was in reference to a L&P thread - I go to L&P and search for "pax".

Tech stuff - I search under Mal. I usually get the same reply " go away kid, here is a quarter , go play in the street". :D

Mal H - I'm kidding of course...gotta go I have some quarters to roll & traffic to dodge...:)

Smoke
March 3, 2004, 02:34 PM
I am such a techically (not tactically) weak individual. I didn't even know there was a 30 second search rule.

But I rarely search for things that I don't get some kind of return.

I only search under the username: Dave McCracken, I wouls never do a search on the username: sm.

:neener:

Smoke

sm
March 3, 2004, 02:55 PM
I only search under the username: Dave McCracken, I wouls never do a search on the username: sm.
Yep - once again I see Smoke and I are in 110% agreement...:p

[see there may be a reason why I only two letters...why would anyone want to search for anything I have posted anyway...there is too much good info posted by other folks...I may be dumb, but I ain't stupid ]:)

tyme
March 3, 2004, 04:00 PM
vbulletin's search function in general is less than outstanding. A quick review of mysql4's built-in search mechanism months ago suggested it would not be a viable replacement. I don't know what other options there are. I don't really want to research and implement a new search function.

I think I might be able to provide search.php and the post/thread/user table layout without violating the vB license if anyone's desperate enough to implement a speedy search mechanism on their own. Somehow I doubt it.

JohnBT
March 4, 2004, 08:33 AM
Momba, Mamba, that's what happens when I try to think while I'm still drinking up my coffee quota.

Still, there's that 30-second time out if you make a mistake and try to correct it immediately.

John...everything I spell is approximate

If you enjoyed reading about "The High Road's Search function stinks!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!