CCW and a motorcycle

PDA

xwingband
December 6, 2012, 09:59 PM
I'm still very new to carrying and have read some threads I could find. So I've just started trying to carry while using my motorcycle to get to my destination. I'm looking for some advice on how to do it and remain concealed.

I ride a Ducati Monster (and carry a HK P7)... so I'm not hunched forward as much as a full on sport bike, but I'm more forward than a cruiser. Carrying in front of my hip leads to the gun being pushed up into my body uncomfortably. Carrying behind the hip is not concealed... even not on the motorcycle I find behind the hip not a good option at all for my body. The butt of the gun kicks right out and is super noticeable on the bike. I ride with all my gear, but even so it's usually a t-shirt under and it prints like nothing else with just a t-shirt.

I'm beginning to think stowing it in something or a gun small enough for a neck holster is about it... I don't have any storage on my bike. I could get a tank or tail bag well enough but saddle bags aren't really being made for my exact model anymore (I'm also somewhat picky... I have a nice italian bike it seem such a shame to put generic nylon type bags on it). I rarely need to store anything, just getting to my destination, so storage has never been aesthetically pleasing or seemed a good use of my money.

What say you all?

If you enjoyed reading about "CCW and a motorcycle" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
guyfromohio
December 6, 2012, 10:06 PM
Ohio has open carry, so I generally carry IWB at about the kidney.....don't really care if someone sees it. However, you ride with gear so get a clip on IWB and stick the holster and gun in your zipped jacket pocket. When you get to your destination, hit the bathroom and put it in your waistband.

smalls
December 6, 2012, 10:06 PM
Shoulder rig.

Grmlin
December 6, 2012, 10:13 PM
+1 on the shoulder rig. Depending what I carry when riding it is either in a shoulder holster or pocket holster in the jacket.

Apachedriver
December 6, 2012, 10:13 PM
I usually wear an IWB holster when on either of my bikes as well as a Joe Rocket mesh jacket with a T-shirt underneath. I haven't had any issues yet with printing while wearing the jacket. Also being in TX it obviously gets way hot in the summer but the jacket doesn't bother.

A buddy of mine wears cowboy boots when we ride and he always has at least 2 pistols on him, one of which he likes to tuck in his boot.

Another buddy wears a no jacket but a shoulder holster under his buttoned shirt in the summer. I don't find that comfortable but he does.

xwingband
December 6, 2012, 10:16 PM
I should state I'm in Florida so no open carry. It'd be funny in the pocket but hey that seems like it might work! I already have a single clip holser.

Shoulder rig... if I kept my jacket on all the time that would be okay, but do they even make ones intended to not be over a shirt??? It can be hot as all get out during the summer and I'll ride with one of those wicking athletic shirts just to not be soaked at my destination.

M-Cameron
December 6, 2012, 10:20 PM
have you thought about a belly band?

i suppose you could also use your regular conceal carry holster, and when you ride your bike simply store it in a backpack, and then reholster it when you get to your destination....

Chicken-Farmer
December 6, 2012, 10:26 PM
I live in Alabama, hot hot hot,and during the summer months i carry using a 5.11 holster shirt. The shirt material is very similar to under armour with holster pouches sewn into the armpits. With a light weight cover garment its perfect for me. Not a quick draw system, but the best i've found for me while riding my bike. I hate holsters on my hip, the gun tends to dig into my ribs. The shirts aren't cheap, but i have had 3 of them for the past couple of years without a problem.

raze
December 6, 2012, 10:37 PM
What are you using for a holster? It could be the holster you are using i had the same issue with an uncle mikes on my bike (buell firebolt same riding position) i switched over to a comp-tac minotaur and it took care of that. YMMV

thefish
December 6, 2012, 11:04 PM
Backpack or fanny pack?

Mountainsmith makes some pretty useful fannypacks. Wouldnt keep your gun as easy access as you may like but may be an option.

http://www.mountainsmith.com/products.asp?productId=317&categoryId=49&subCategoryId=0&subCategory2Id=0

stanmo
December 6, 2012, 11:09 PM
I carry my 442 in my lapel pocket. It's not likely I would land on it in the event of a crash. Anywhere on the belt area would cause a big ouchie.

Skribs
December 6, 2012, 11:24 PM
Considering in the OP he mentions that his t-shirt doesn't conceal well, I'm thinking that when he takes off his jacket, the shoulder rig is a bad idea.

OP, how well would an ankle rig work for you? I'm not much of a biker, but that seems like an option.

Other than that, maybe reconsider what you wear. Go +1 on shirt size and you can conceal a lot, +2 and you can conceal pretty much anything.

You don't have your location listed, but if OC is legal for you then you might just want to consider that.

Apachedriver
December 7, 2012, 12:41 AM
+1 on the larger size shirts.

I used to hate wearing ill-fitting oversized shirts. Now, I'll buy anywhere from Walmart to Woolrich. An upsize in various brands will wear differently according to the cut. So shop around. Larger may not always be necessary and it doesn't mean sloppy looking either.

xwingband
December 7, 2012, 12:55 AM
What are you using for a holster?

I either use a Comp-Tac Minotaur also or an single clip IWB (Pro model from HBE Specialty Leatherworks). The HK P7 I'm carrying is a very high riding pistol and the combo of I have a large torso and short legs makes it difficult. It makes my waist line lower and the Comp-tac gets pushed up when I'm on the bike. It's not as bad when I'm normally sitting, but exacerbated by the slightly crouched position.

OP, how well would an ankle rig work for you? I'm not much of a biker, but that seems like an option.

I wear full length boots when I ride. I had an accident on the bike that has permanently messed my ankle up and I was riding with normal shoes. I won't ride without full boots now so I don't think an ankle rig is an option.

Backpack or fanny pack?

I sometimes ride with a backpack... It could just get real awkward having to reholster. :) Go to someone's place and ask to use their bathroom and bringing the backpack along... :scrutiny:

That would probably be preferable to anything I'd have to put on the bike solely at this point to put the gun in.

You don't have your location listed, but if OC is legal for you then you might just want to consider that.

I stated Florida before. So no OC.

To all, thanks for the suggestions. I'm going to continue mulling over this.

smalls
December 7, 2012, 01:34 AM

Your pants ride up a bit while you're riding a sports bike, and unless you're wearing pants that are super long, it'll show.

Lucky Derby
December 7, 2012, 07:28 AM
I have found that a shoulder rig works best on the bike.
IWB also works well at about 4 o'clock.
Honestly carrying requires compromise. You may need to adjust the mode of dress. Yes I understand that to properly protect you in an accident, M/C gear needs to fit a certain way, so that may be more limiting.

bikerdoc
December 7, 2012, 09:43 AM
Wow, no open carry, hot weather, Ducati.

My 45 years or riding is no help to you.

Good luck finding a solution that works for you.

beatledog7
December 7, 2012, 09:58 AM
Tank bag.

forindooruseonly
December 7, 2012, 10:09 AM
I ride a sport bike and always wear full leathers, and because of the cut of the gear there isn't a good concealment option. I typically use a tank bag or backpack. Not ideal by any means, but I've found a shoulder holster doesn't work for my style of riding. It gets in the way when cornering, its hot here in the summer so I take my jacket off when we stop, and it doesn't fit the sport cut of the leathers. Having the gun in a bag means you really need to pay attention to it, but it's a compromise.

I'm also wary of carrying on my body and taking a spill. I've had an acetabular fracture from landing hard on one side, I'm thankful my gun wasn't on that hip or it would have been much much worse.

Certaindeaf
December 7, 2012, 10:13 AM
I sometimes throw a messenger bag over my shoulder. Don't carry in it though. Something like a Maxpedition bag I think is kinda like a messenger bag.

cauldron
December 7, 2012, 10:14 AM
I wouldn't carry a handgun on my person while riding. Well... not anywhere I would not want to fall on it. Anywhere on the spine is bad, and a shoulder holster might be the safest spot, and it's likely to crack ribs. The HURT report never covered this!:rolleyes:

I also cannot see needing to draw the gun while riding, but...

A tank bag would be good for safely transporting, and there are several bags that have straps, (as the magnetic bags won't work on your bike)

The biggest problem at this point is actually wearing the pistol at your destination. It would have to be a very smooth transition from bag to holster to stay concealed.

xwingband
December 7, 2012, 12:36 PM
I'm also wary of carrying on my body and taking a spill.

I am too, but obviously not having to transition from a bag to on me again would simplify matters. Taking a spill is a going to hurt no matter what so the fact that I wear gear is already far above the game of the average rider. I have two sets of just about everything depending on what kind of weather and length of ride. I have one perforated leather jacket... I haven't tried to carry with it but I have serious doubts I could even get on the bike with it and the gun behind my hip.

I think so far the 5.11 holster shirt seems to be the most viable option for a holstered way. I'll try riding with it in the jacket pocket and an IWB ready. I suspect that'll be fine with my leather jacket, but my mesh jacket it'll probably obvious there's something heavy in the pocket.

Skribs
December 7, 2012, 12:47 PM
Obvious there's something heavy...which could be a wallet, cell phone, pocket protector, or one of many other things that you might want. Trust me, unless someone knows the shirt is designed to carry guns, they aren't going to even notice, and most that know won't care.

Rexster
December 7, 2012, 01:41 PM
I settled on a J-frame snubby in a jacket pocket, and if using a tank bag, stashed another in a belt pouch holster/camera pouch inside the tank bag. This was while riding a BMW R100R, which was a "standard" bike, neither cruiser nor sport bike.

I know I owned a shoulder rig at that time, but that has been almost twenty ago ago, so cannot recall if I tried it, or how well it worked on the bike. If I start riding again, and have been feeling the urge, lately, I will try my excellent Andrews Monarch while doing so.

2wheels
December 7, 2012, 02:34 PM
I ride a Ninja, found out I didn't like IWB or OWB carry while riding. So I settled on carrying a pocket pistol (either my Sig P238 or my S&W 442) in my jacket pocket.

I wear a jacket year round, got a mesh one for the summers, so I can always carry.

mdauben
December 7, 2012, 02:43 PM
Lots of safety concious riders recomend against carrying hard objects on your person, in case of an accident. Hitting the pavement at 50 MPH right on your carry gun could just add to any injuries you sustain.

That said, I carry a pocket gun in a biker's vest pocker. Some of them are actually available with sewn-in holsters for full size guns. I'm a cruiser rider, however, so that might not work for you.

BTNut
December 7, 2012, 03:26 PM
I ride a V-rod, so not nearly the same riding position, but I just stick to my normal IWB holsters at 3:30 -4:00 whether riding or not. And I ALWAYS wear a jacket, either leather or textile, and mesh if it's really hot. I went to Sturgis for the first time this year, and of the 6 guys I was riding with, only my brother knew I was carrying all week (and that's just because he knows I always carry).

I'm not really worried about how the gun could make my injuries worse if I got in an accident. If I ever get that hung up on crashing and the possible injuries, I'll probably just quit riding at that point.

I think if IWB didn't work for me, then I'd pocket carry my .380 in my front pants pocket. I don't like the idea of having to transfer it to/from a bag or other location every time I get to where I'm going and then again when I leave. But good luck whatever you decide, and ride safe!

Rezin
December 7, 2012, 04:11 PM
I recently crashed my motorcycle after an incident involving a deer. I hit the road at 50mph or so. The area where my ccw would have been suffered some road rash... Glad I wasnt carrying that day.

pureadrenaline
December 7, 2012, 05:00 PM
You can get tactical shirts that look like they button up, but actually use a hidden zipper. I am set up for a dark t-shirt and a shoulder holster over that and the dark tactical shirt over everything. The dark color t-shirt reduces the chance of seeing a dark holster against my skin through material and it also adds comfort.

By the way, an AK underfolder will fit into the top luggage of a Gold Wing.

gp911
December 7, 2012, 05:44 PM
For those stating if OC is legal you're good to go, you might want to double-check your state laws regarding carrying in/on a vehicle. There can be issues regarding transporting a loaded firearm on one's person or within reach while in a vehicle, and sometimes they count motorcycles in the same way. Definitely make sure.

Skribs
December 7, 2012, 06:02 PM
For those stating if OC is legal you're good to go, you might want to double-check your state laws regarding carrying in/on a vehicle. There can be issues regarding transporting a loaded firearm on one's person or within reach while in a vehicle, and sometimes they count motorcycles in the same way. Definitely make sure.

Good call, although if CC is legal on the bike, and OC is legal, I'd assume OC is legal on the bike. That said, one nice perk of having a CCW permit in WA State is that you don't have to worry about most of the transportation clauses, so even if you OC here it's of benefit (IMO) to have a CCW permit.

OP, sorry, I thought I remembered you saying where you were from, but looked in the OP instead of your replies.

guyfromohio
December 7, 2012, 07:14 PM
You cannot carry on a bike in Ohio unless you have a CHL....OC or not. However, if you have a CHL, you're fine ....in Ohio

MCgunner
December 7, 2012, 07:59 PM
I carry everywhere, on or off the bike, in a pocket. I carry a Kel Tec P11 with +P 115 JHPs. If I'm accosted on the road, I will use my throttle (SV650S) or evasive maneuvers if on the KLR as it don't have much throttle, but is quite off road capable. If I get cornered somewhere, i can use the weapon. If I stop, I'll stop somewhere with lots of witnesses.

I was chased and narrowly missed getting hit when I was a kid on a 125 by two drunks who apparently identified with the rednecks in "Easy Rider". It's one of the reasons I've carried most of my life, legal or not. I'm legal now days and my choices in pocket guns are greatly expanded from the days of the .25ACP. Hell, the new Springfield XDS is a pocket sized .45ACP no bigger than my Kel Tec, but I kinda prefer 11 rounds vs 5 or 6 or whatever it is and don't feel the 9mm is lacking at 410 ft lbs.

The ONLY other way I've found that works, this for bigger framed guns, is a fanny pack. It's not very macho, all important for the posers, but it works for me. :D I've carried my .357 magnum this way. Yeah, might be a problem in a crash, though, but beats SOB!

justice06rr
December 7, 2012, 10:11 PM
I rode a sportbike and usually carried in 2 ways. Either IWB at 3:30 position covered by your riding jacket, or in a removable tankbank (with straps if you have a plastic gas tank).

The key for IWB is to wear a riding jacket that is longer on the waist, and also have your shirt untucked. This should cover your CCW enough; it does for me even on a sportbike's aggressive riding position.

The other option of a tankbag works pretty well, but you would have to carry the tankbag with you when you park the bike. Not a big deal really esp if you have a small tankbag that holds other things (I keep a water bottle, swiss knife, flashlight, etc in there). The tankbag I use has the quick disconnect buckles and a carrying handle so it makes it easy to put it on and off the bike. The tankbag is probably one of your best options if you decide not to wear a riding jacket --in hot weather or just personal choice.

rswartsell
December 7, 2012, 11:14 PM
I wear a shoulder rig while riding, I wear a leather jacket and all is cool. This allows me to choose a Kimber Custom II Target. I have had to transition and getting a shoulder rig off isn't exactly discreet. But, if the jacket is coming off -out of sight I changed to a Colt Detective Special (only had to do this once and it puckered my ass) in an IWB retrieved from a saddle bag on the bike and the shoulder rig and Kimber went there so locking is at a premium. This sure ain't optimum and I will admit here it's a problem I haven't solved either. I am also hoping to learn more here.

PBR Streetgang
December 8, 2012, 09:39 PM
I have a preference to tanker holsters like the military used to issue under a jacket,but in hot weather I carry a Kel-tec .380 in my right front pocket clipped as you would a pocket knife.....I also have the luxury of a sidecar,just never know what ya might find in there!!!!!!

76shuvlinoff
December 8, 2012, 10:55 PM
Old Harley here, sitting fairly upright, especially with the apes.

I carry my 1911 in crossdraw or in an old shoulder rig. XD40SC strong side jacket pocket. LCP in windshield bag or jacket pocket.

For me strong side is left side. Fortunately for me I would not have to release the throttle to draw.... but realistically, if a gunfight broke out while I was riding I think my hands would be occupied braking, clutching, and twisting the wick to get the hell anywhere else.

1911 guy
December 9, 2012, 02:52 AM
I bought another bike last year, after not having one for a long time. Got an old XS650 for nostalgia. And cheap price tag. Last summer made me think hard about getting a shoulder holster. I can keep mine concealed pretty well OWB, but I also know that falling down on a 1911 will hurt more than just falling down. I learned that in a bowling alley, of all places.

CB900F
December 9, 2012, 02:06 PM
Xwing;

Lotta similarities between us, and some substantial differences also. I've been carrying on a motorcycle for decades.

However, though you didn't state what your dominant eye is I'm left/left, and that's a big advantage. I use a tank bag in most cases. If you choose carefully, it's usually pretty easy to either adapt a holster to fit the bag, or sew a homemade one in. Just make sure it's an easily detached bag & carry it with you off the bike. It keeps the gun off your body in the case of putting it flat side down, and that's a serious consideration to me.

I carry an H&K USPc & currently ride an 848EVO. But I haven't found a good bag for it yet. OTOH, I'm in Montana & can easily see that the clothing considerations are markedly different. Which means that so far I've been able to conceal with my normal IWB for short trips. Therefore, I haven't been exactly hotly pursuing all the bag options out there.

If I were your, and normally shooting from the right hand, I'd start putting in a lot of practice with weak hand drills. Remember, all you really want to do is get away from the situation using the acceleration of the bike. Pinpoint accuracy is a dream, and accuracy of any sort is only a lesser dream. You need the right hand for the throttle, just keep the B/G's rattled & leave. Easy to stow the gun back in a bag & use both hands to depart, rapidly.

I don't know of a single range that allows you to practice while riding. And you sure aren't going to develop the skill set to reliably hit while moving through wishin' & hopin'.

900F

MCgunner
December 9, 2012, 08:22 PM
Shoulder holsters and jackets SUCK in hot weather. Even a summer mesh has to come off at gas stops and, for me, around towns, I don't wear a jacket. Good on the highway, though, keeps the sun off the arms.

I don't do anything, but pocket carry. It's the only way for me.

I don't even bother trying to shoot lefty for the motorcycle. Last thing i wanna do is shoot from the back of a motorcycle. I'll outrun the guy, easy enough on a decent bike, even my KLR which is a turd. It'll go off road REAL well, though compared to a car, and I have the skills having raced flat track and road racing most of my life on an amateur expert/pro novice level. I trust my MC riding skills to get me out of a jam. I ain't stickin' around to fire a shot. My advice, go to a track day now and then, work on your riding skills, not marksmanship from the back of a motorcycle.

MaterDei
December 9, 2012, 10:22 PM
I don't think the OP has any intention of shooting from his bike, MCgunner. He's just looking for carry options.

I ride a V Star 1300, cruiser, so perhaps riding position is sufficiently different to matter. For me a tuckable IWB holster works fine. Also, I always wear a jacket for protection so printing or wind untucking my shirt aren't a problem. This is a carry option, not a good option if I were to need to draw while riding. I need my right hand to ride and also can't imagine drawing with my riding gloves on. :)

kym
December 9, 2012, 10:28 PM
Most of my jackets have inside pockets in them. Most of the time I carry a LCR.

tarosean
December 10, 2012, 12:28 AM
I ride a Sport bike and carry a M&P45c in the inside front pocket of my Tourmaster jacket.

The M
December 10, 2012, 01:49 AM
I ride a Suzuki M109R which has drag bars so my riding position is a little bit forward and arms down a bit, which is a little more upright than the Ducati Monster. My 1911 compact works fine at 3:30 position. I'm not a fan of moving guns around, in and out of holsters unless I'm at home in a more relaxed environment.

otasan56
December 10, 2012, 01:49 PM
My vote goes to the shoulder holster.

BP Hunter
December 10, 2012, 02:35 PM
xwingband,

Hello from a fellow Ducati Monster 696 rider. When I ride my Ducati, it's usually for a fun ride or whenI have to run an errand. I carry my LCP and nothing larger in an IWB holster 3 o'clock. I have to admit, the gun as small as it is, puts quite a lot of pressure on my hip bone after a while.

PS. My wife wanted me to upgrade to the Ducati 848, But I kindly turned it down. I luv my Monster!

CB900F
December 10, 2012, 03:26 PM
BPHunter;

I'm gonna try to swing a test ride on the 848 streetfighter soon as I can. I'd urge you to do so also. The danger being that you might leave the 696 at the dealership you understand.

And fella's, understand that I'm not advocating shooting off the bike either. Much better to run than fire. But, it's not impossible to envision a circumstance where that might, and I repeat might, be the best course of action, then run.

900F

ku4hx
December 10, 2012, 06:35 PM
BHP or a G23 in a holster in a tank bag.

MCgunner
December 10, 2012, 09:14 PM
I ride a V Star 1300, cruiser, so perhaps riding position is sufficiently different to matter. For me a tuckable IWB holster works fine.

There was a pic of a guy on Beltway 8 in Houston on a aport bike, his mesh jacket riding up over his SA handgun at 4 o'clock posted on the two wheeled Texans board some time back. I shoulda saved that one. :D

One problem I have with the fanny pack on my SV650S is it bangs into the tank. I have Honda Hawk bars on it, about 1" rise and 2" pull back from stock, but still lean a bit on the highway. I carry it about 11 o'clock, but have to pull it over closer to 10 o'clock to keep it away from the tank. Don't have that problem on the KLR which is a sit up dual sport.

xwingband
December 10, 2012, 09:15 PM
BP_Hunter,

I have a Monster 695! I like the looks of the older ones slightly better than the newer ones, plus it was cheaper. I'd definitely consider the 848 (streetfighter or superbike) if I wanted a crazier bike, but the Monster is more than enough fun for me!

I'm not going to shoot from my bike. If it gets that bad... I'm "getting out of Dodge" as fast as possible. The only scenario I could think of would be someone trying to tackle me while at a stop. I remember my grandmother telling me my father was decked on a bicycle once because he was on the wrong side of town. Even then, tackling a person with an armored jacket, helmet, steel knuckle gloves and steel slider boots seems pretty foolish.

I was mostly looking for advice to conceal better or carry methods I hadn't thought of. I'd love to not have to carry off body as it avoids lots of opportunity for someone to make me in the switch to on body, plus an investment in bike storage I don't really need.

I bought the 5.11 holster shirt to try. I'll also try in my front pocket, but I'll have to be careful there.

MCgunner
December 10, 2012, 09:24 PM
I don't think I'd like to carry in one of those carry shirts if I crashed. Now, mind you, I've crashed a lot more than your average street rider. I used to crash a couple races a year back in the day when I was learning. Just part of finding out how to slide, throttle control, where the limits of the tires are, that sort of thing. Then I got competitive and started crashing pushing 110 percent trying to win races. I always fell on my front or my back, but I would not want a hard object next to my ribs in a fall. Down in my pocket riding against the flesh of my leg, I might get a bruise, will heal just like road rash always does. But, cracked bones take longer, trust me on this.

xwingband
December 10, 2012, 11:05 PM
Not to be a jerk... but that's not the point of this thread. In a crash the phone in my pocket will do just as much damage. It's a large polycarbonate slab... and your house keys? Hit the wrong way on the street and they'll probably stab you!

All that considered, I ride with gear and anyone who doesn't darn well knows the risks. I had a crash very early on and it has messed my ankle up for life, and I'm still very young.

In the end I still would like to carry because it's going to hurt no matter where it is on my body with a crash and I like to take care of my safety off the bike just as much. I also would like to avoid having some ninny calling the cops on me because I couldn't keep my gun concealed! I live very close to a college and the last thing I need is getting the police called on me at my place because a sorority girl sees me transferring my gun from a tank bag to a holster.

Teachu2
December 11, 2012, 12:23 AM
Your choice in motorcycles limits your options. You wear gear, so incorporate your CCW into your gear. If you wear the same gear year-round, it's simply a matter of upsizing enough to build in a holster. If you change gear with the seasons, you either have to have multiple items with holsters, or one that works with all your gear - either a holster undershirt like the 5.11 or a jean jacket that goes over your other gear (probably not the look you are after, huh?).

I ride and carry, but on a Harley bagger. My preferred setup is a Glock 30 in a shoulder holster, but when it's hot I may carry a pocket pistol or put one in the trunk. If I can ride, the gun isn't out. If I'm forced to stop and defend myself or my wife, it's close by.

There is no perfect answer if you are CCW'ing. Doing so on a bike compromises your options, and your bike even more than most. Best of luck with your quest.

farm23
December 11, 2012, 10:37 AM
I don't ride any more so this may not be of any help. When I am on the tractor or driving the truck I carry in a cross draw holster. I am not sure what is available for you weapon but maybe there is something that will work. The cross draw for me puts the weapon at a position for easy access. I expect access will only be needed when stopped, I know when I rode it would have been very difficult for me to have used a weapon while riding.

forindooruseonly
December 11, 2012, 11:25 AM
deleted

TonyDedo
December 11, 2012, 03:37 PM
I bought a shoulder rig thinking it would be the solution, but I found it's a pain in the ass to transition back and forth from a shoulder rig to an IWB every time I get off the bike and take my jacket off. Eventually I just starting stashing my CCW in a tank bag while I ride, putting it back in the IWB holster as soon as I dismount. Much simpler, and actually easier to access than a shoulder rig.

Keeping it simple.

rondog
December 11, 2012, 05:10 PM
Reproduction of the USGI M3 shoulder holster, or an M7 if you need an extra strap. Can be worn on the side under the armpit or in front, on the chest.

M3

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b150/rinselman/guns/holsters%20and%20grips/sweetheartgrips.jpg

M7 - I have one of these I'd sell cheap if you're interested. Brand new, never used.

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b150/rinselman/guns/holsters%20and%20grips/AMU1080.jpg

rhinoh
December 12, 2012, 06:19 AM
I don't want anything in my pockets while riding. Years ago I crashed on a dirt bike with a 2m ham walkie talkie on my hip- that hurt and left a nice big rectangular bruise.
I second the mention of keys not being in your pocket either- don't need your house key stabbing your femoral artery in a crash.
I put everything in a tank bag on my Vstrom. Spare keys, wallet, phone and Kahr CM9 with spare mag. If dismounting and leaving the bike the CM9 in a pocket holster gets dropped into a pocket on me somewhere. Fortunately my CWP is valid in the 2 states I ride in.

xwingband
December 12, 2012, 08:16 PM
I second the mention of keys not being in your pocket either- don't need your house key stabbing your femoral artery in a crash.

That was me... also the OP. I was "speaking in jest". Of course it's possible, but at least to me the remote possibility of crashing and landing the right way to do that isn't worth it to go to the work to take everything out of my pockets. Also honestly doing all that would suck the fun out of riding having to not only gear up but unload and load my pockets everytime I get on and off the bike.

JXB
December 12, 2012, 10:46 PM
I have a Buell XB12 with similar riding position. I also wear gear year round and have struggled with best way to carry. I most often prefer to carry something small like a LCP or PM9 in the inside jacket pocket. I ccw for the same reason, which is when i am not on the bike. I've also have used a tank bag on occation and then transferred it to my jacket at destination. If it is in a pocket holster I doubt anyone would even notice what you're putting in your pocket unless they are really watching you closely. Oh yeah, you ride a Ducati, people will be watching you (or your bike) :) +1 for small cal in jacket pocket.

CookeMonster
December 12, 2012, 11:26 PM
I highly advise carrying away from your hips or spine. Broken ribs are uncomfortable, but you're still functional. Hips and spine... not so much. I carried in a shoulder rig and transferred to IWB in the bathroom at destination if I had to shed the mesh jacket which was light enough to wear for a little while even at a dry 110* (feels like 95 down in FL).

xwingband
December 13, 2012, 12:46 PM
I just got the 5.11 shirt in the mail...

Oh man, it's hilariously obvious you have something under your shirt. Like... "It's not a tuumah" deal. I'll add a picture later. I put it on and just threw the t-shirt I was wearing over it.

I wouldn't call it a bust. I'm definitely keeping it in instances probably where I'm formally dresses and undoing a button might be less fumble work compared to a tucked holster.

Chicken-Farmer
December 13, 2012, 08:16 PM
Xwingband,

The 5.11 shirts should be pretty form fitting, like skin tight form fitting. I carry my G26 inside of a nemesis pocket holster on the left side and a spare G17 magazine inside a nemesis magagine holder on the right side. I'm a fairly average built guy 6'2" 200 lbs. and i usually just wear a button up short sleeve shirt as a cover arment. No bulging at all and i often times forget that i'm carrying.

rhinoh
December 13, 2012, 08:34 PM
That was me... also the OP. I was "speaking in jest". Of course it's possible, but at least to me the remote possibility of crashing and landing the right way to do that isn't worth it to go to the work to take everything out of my pockets. Also honestly doing all that would suck the fun out of riding having to not only gear up but unload and load my pockets everytime I get on and off the bike.
Don't know what all you carry in your pockets...I figure I can take my cellphone/keys/wallet/gun out of my pockets in 5 seconds and return them in maybe 7.
You decide for yourself of course but I'll ride without all that junk in my pockets, but then I follow ATGATT also;)

xwingband
December 13, 2012, 10:24 PM
The 5.11 shirts should be pretty form fitting, like skin tight form fitting.

It is just like any compression shirt and form fitting... but you play spot the gun. I think it's pretty easy! :what:

I guess my body type really sucks for this! I put the shirt on, threw my P7 in the pocket and the t-shirt I had just been wearing on over that. I even tried my XDs which I'm not accustomed to enough to carry yet, and hardly a difference.

I'm not a small guy by any means, but Im not a michelin man either!

Armybrat
December 13, 2012, 10:32 PM
Here's an original WWII issued shoulder holster - my brother owns it along with the 1911:

http://i522.photobucket.com/albums/w349/ScoPro/Pauls1911-4.jpg

http://i522.photobucket.com/albums/w349/ScoPro/Pauls1911.jpg

The rig was carried by this gentleman when he flew C-54s over the "Hump" in WWII:

http://i522.photobucket.com/albums/w349/ScoPro/P9070212.jpg

mmetz2152
April 22, 2013, 10:35 PM
2 terrific options:
Gunslinger vest is very comfortable:
http://www.bikersden.com/p-142-mens-legendary-gunslinger-black-leather-motorcycle-vest-with-gun-pockets.aspx?gclid=CKSxi9qh2LYCFQFx4AodgRcAnw

Here’s another comfortable alternative I found I can wear while running and with about any attire
pistolwear.com

76shuvlinoff
April 22, 2013, 10:55 PM
Shovel with mini apes here so I'm sitting upright, crossdraw or shoulder rig but I'm left handed making those options easier on the bike.

I have also had an LCP in my windshield bag when I choose to ride with the shield. The tank bag is a good option too.

dpote
April 22, 2013, 11:21 PM
Could the Smartcarry or Thunder Wear products meet your needs?

Dave

CB900F
April 22, 2013, 11:39 PM
It's back from the dead! OMG, it's ZOMBIE thread!!

900F

I couldn't help it.

Dlowe167
April 23, 2013, 12:15 AM
I open carry while i ride. Us Ohioians dont OC enough. But i do CCW,when i do. Its a Highnoon Under Armor shoulder rig or/& i bought a Concealed Carry biker vest from Iron Pony. Ride & Bare Arms freedoms makes this country the best in the world!!!!

jogar80
April 23, 2013, 04:18 PM
. Have you tried an IWB in the crossdraw position? Stick the gun in your waistband on your offside, at about the 10 o'clock position, angled with grip forward, muzzle back, and just sit on your bike. See if it feels like it might work before you go buy anything.

rskent
April 23, 2013, 06:28 PM
A super tuck at 3 o’clock works for me. It probably sticks out a bit but who can see it at 70 mph anyway.

BillBloggins
April 23, 2013, 09:27 PM
Another vote for Pistol Wear's belly band- these are muy comfortable.

MICHAEL T
April 23, 2013, 10:46 PM
My 380 KelTec or my Colt Mustang in pocket Works on my Ninja or my Raider .

grimjaw
April 24, 2013, 09:09 AM
I know this is an old thread, but I had a similar problem when carrying on a motorcycle. When I had all my protective gear on, it was hard to reach the gun. When I wasn't ATGATT the gun would print or poke into my side. I didn't buy this pouch with the idea of putting a gun in it, but it did work really well when I tried it.

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=174376&d=1352339166

It's anchored on the strap so it doesn't slide at all. Not as quick as some options but also doesn't scream "GUN!"

xwingband
April 24, 2013, 12:24 PM
Hah, yeah this thread was up from the ashes...

That pouch is a nice idea for a backpack situation. I have a 5.11 backpack that has a concealment pouch, but being in the back means I can't reach it. It's not ideal as it's still not quite on my person, but I guess it's better than unarmed.

I'm still trying to figure out carrying a decent size gun. So far the stop gap I've come up with has been a NAA Pug. I got the Pug for when I'm wearing athletic shorts and can't have a traditional holster. For the motorcycle I can throw it in a pocket. My main jacket is mesh so I have to be careful transferring it as looking closely you can see the metal through the material.

I've never done crossdraw. Still have to try a belly band type. I may see if I can get a holster with a much deeper ride.

otasan56
April 25, 2013, 10:25 AM
I love my G17. I keep it in a Bianchi 4/4L hip holster loaded with Winchester 9mm 115gr JHP +p+ rounds (chronographed at 1400 FPS)

If you enjoyed reading about "CCW and a motorcycle" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!