One gun...

PDA

es71
December 6, 2012, 09:43 PM
New to the forum (been lurking for a bit), was wondering if you you had only one gun, what would it be?

I am re-newed to shooting (took a 20 year break). Have a number of handguns, but just picked up a mini14 which I am having a blast. What is your favorite? Realistically I know there is no one size fits all, just curious.

If you enjoyed reading about "One gun..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
BSA1
December 6, 2012, 09:50 PM
I would own the one gun the government allows to me legally possess.

Onmilo
December 6, 2012, 09:50 PM
Can't go wrong with a .22 rifle.

Warp
December 6, 2012, 09:54 PM
Here is an 8 page thread, with poll, asking which "one gun" a person would choose.

And it's no more than a week or so old.

Have fun. :)

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=685454

es71
December 6, 2012, 10:00 PM
Much appreciated on the thread. Interesting read.

Isaac-1
December 7, 2012, 01:04 AM
It would probably be a Remington 870 pump shotgun, wide range of rounds available from bird shot up to deer slugs. Works on everything from snakes to home intruders.

Inebriated
December 7, 2012, 01:32 AM
Glock 29, as mentioned in the thread Warp linked.

smalls
December 7, 2012, 01:35 AM
Jennings j-22. You know, for bears.

Dr_B
December 7, 2012, 01:55 AM
I will never own just one gun just because the government says that's all I can have. However, if I had only enough money to buy one gun it would be a 6-shot 4-inch barreled revolver.

Sav .250
December 7, 2012, 10:04 AM
To many variables for me. There is no one gun fits all........... Of course you can,"make do."

Old judge creek
December 7, 2012, 10:34 AM
I'd choose a 2 rifle... probably a Marlin 1897 (same action as the M39).

Sheepdog1968
December 7, 2012, 02:26 PM
The vast majority of them are more than fine for me. The three that really seem to fit my hand best are the Sig 220, Sig 226, and Beretta 92FS.

itchy1
December 7, 2012, 04:57 PM
"It would probably be a Remington 870 pump shotgun, wide range of rounds available from bird shot up to deer slugs. Works on everything from snakes to home intruders."

Ditto. If funds or other circumstances only allowed for a single firearm, the versatility of a pump shotgun is tough to beat. An 870 is the definition of reliability.

wheelgun6T9
December 7, 2012, 07:49 PM
Maybe a bolt action 22 rifle. I like my Marlin Model 81.

Velocitors out of a rifle length barrel are underrated in my opinion. Plus you can shoot S, L, or LR so there are lots of options.

22-rimfire
December 7, 2012, 08:03 PM
One gun is where I started when I was 12 years old... a 22 rifle.

Warp
December 7, 2012, 08:07 PM
Glock 26

Trueno
December 7, 2012, 08:27 PM
CZ-82

t

ridgerunner1965
December 7, 2012, 08:37 PM
i would choose a 223 bolt gun.i would cast bullets for it for lighter loads and use jacketed for heavier hunting loads. if that didnt work out i would prob go with a 45 colt rifle. with cast and bit of shotgun powder i can shoot 100yrds or close up with eqaul accuracy.and shoot for pennies a round.

musicman10_1
December 7, 2012, 08:44 PM
I've posted it before, but if I could possess only one of my guns it would be:

Ruger GP100 4" Stainless .357 Magnum

ridgerunner1965
December 7, 2012, 08:54 PM
one gun?after re reading sum posts i realize it may be for defense and hunting.here where im at its about hunting, why i posted above as i did.for both i guess it would be a pump or over under shotgun.12 ga.16 wud be good also.my dad killed everything he needed with a old win 97 pump 16 ga.

beatledog7
December 7, 2012, 10:42 PM
Lots of good arguments on that other thread (I'm behind on reading it), and as tempted as I am to say I'd cling to a 12ga or a 22LR bolt gun, as of this writing it's my Gen4 Glock 22 (.40S&W).

It shoots a pretty much do it all (don't start, guys) pistol cartridge, I shoot it very well (15 rounds into 2" at 10yrds or 8" at 30yrds on a good day), it can take up to a 22-round mag, it's dead reliable with a variety of ammo types, I have a lot of ammo and can make a lot more, I can carry it concealed if I have to, it can take a drop in 9mm conversion barrel and mags without further modification (though I've read the extractor can be an issue), and I can practice with it at four different ranges without making a long drive. I realize the .40 is not considered a hunting round but I'm quite sure I could make back-yard-range head shots on a few of my 30 kajillion squirrels (until they figure out why their buddies aren't returning from nut gathering runs) if the law were a long way off and I was truly hungry.

If they come to take away every gun from all of us save one, that's the one I'm keeping. If I could keep just two, I'd add the .22rifle. Three, a 12ga pump. But they're not coming for our guns, so I'm keeping the rest as well.

panhead58ak
December 8, 2012, 08:14 PM
I will never have just one gun!! for the rest of my life period

Ignition Override
December 9, 2012, 02:56 AM
If there could be a lifetime supply of ammo at .20/round or less, the M-1 Garand.

With present ammo costs, my SKS with the Tech Sight.

3twelves
December 9, 2012, 02:56 PM
AR10 or M1A, the platform with a ill. 1-6x scope and .308 is the do it all caliber 0 to 800 yards no problem.

huntsman
December 9, 2012, 04:39 PM
My one gun would be a Blackhawk convertible in .45acp/.45C

a .22lr would be too boring
a rifle could be fun but I couldn't hunt deer with it.
a shotgun would be my choice for HD and hunting if I could still bird hunt

My choice would provide me with a deer hunting plinking SD gun and that's all I need now.

coloradokevin
December 9, 2012, 05:47 PM
I haven't had one gun since I was ten years old. If I could only choose one it would be a tough choice. It would probably be one of the following:

1) A pistol is great for CCW, home defense, etc. Not so great for hunting or target work.

2) A shotgun is excellent for hunting, home defense, and shooting clays. Not a target or long range gun, nor is it suitable for CCW.

3) A .22lr rifle is a good target gun, great for small game hunting, and cheap to feed. Not so great for defensive work, not practical for CCW work.

wanderinwalker
December 9, 2012, 08:54 PM
I like me a Gustav:

Planning a trip to Paris huh? :p

Anyway, my "one gun" is probably a 4" .357 revolver. Big enough to take game, small enough to be with me regularly (if I really feel the need to drag a short gun with me I can probably find a way) with lots of ammo choices and availability. The fact that with practice it's fully 100-yard capable is icing on the cake.

(Oddly my go-to "woods" gun is a Glock 26 9mm. Why? Because I frequently hike with an internal frame backpack and wearing a pistol on my waist is a big NO with the hip belt. But the 26 just barely fits in a pants pocket in a Desantis Nemesis holster.)

mcdonl
December 10, 2012, 08:37 AM
What are the circumastances?

If all things were as they are today I would have to consider what I use a gun for...

#1 way I use my guns - Fun!! (1000's of rounds)

#2 use is for a trapping dispatch gun. I use my trapping gun every day from 10/15 - 1/1 and it is for dispatching catches. I use a .22LR for that. (depends on the season)

#3 Deer Hunting (1 if I am luck - I shoot my deer guns on a regular basis at the range so I included them in the fun category)

#4 Home Defense - Never used it in this capacity, and hope I never will (Again all practice I lump under "fun")

#5 Self Defense - Never used it in this capacity, and hope I never will (Again all practice I lump under "fun")

So... I use my guns for those 5 reasons. The range of balistics needs go from dropping a Moose at 150-200 yards down to dispatching a coyote at near point blank range.

All of that said, I would have to go keep my AR-15 because I can load a round light enough and shoot well enough headshots on my fur would be easy. Home Defense, no problem in my living situation, deer no problem although I would have to give up on moose, and long range or large deer.

Fun... can't get much more fun. I can do CQC drills or 200 yard target with a .223

I guess Self Defense would be where I lose, but assuming that the conditions I live in did not change other than needing to get rid of a lot of guns... I would survive with my AR in .223

Kahr33556
December 10, 2012, 08:43 AM
hate to say it but a 22 because I have lots of ammo and its cheap to shoot.If needed good for hunting small game to survive.

mcdonl
December 10, 2012, 08:50 AM
hate to say it but a 22 because I have lots of ammo and its cheap to shoot.If needed good for hunting small game to survive.

That would be my choice too Karh IF there were other social/economic concerns as well.

brnmw
December 10, 2012, 09:07 AM
.12 Ga. Shotgun.

If you enjoyed reading about "One gun..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!