Don't be so quick to castigate Senator Trotter (O'Hare Airport .25 auto)

PDA

Templar223
December 7, 2012, 09:28 AM
Introduction by John Boch

(Guns Save Life (http://www.gunssavelife.com/?p=3844)) - Senator Trotter made a mistake forgetting about a gun in his carry-on. Yeah, he gamed the system a little bit. The gun in his carry-on was an oversight that frankly, could happen to any of us.

But Anita Alvarez let him sit in the can for 30-hours after his arrest.

You think that’s gonna engender a lot of love for Anita’s legislative efforts on guns, now that he’s tasted what the average Joe sometimes gets to endure?

Sure, he’s been anti-gun in the past.

Today, in his new district, he’s “moderated” his position – in part because his district is a good deal more conservative that it used to be AND because of grassroots pro-gun activists like those of us at Guns Save Life holding his feet to the fire.

If voters holding his feet to the fire gets us another pro-right-to-carry vote (and a vote to over-ride Quinn’s amendatory veto to ban America’s favorite rifle), then by golly, chill out folks. That’s a win.

Let’s not cannibalize an ally here.

Todd Vandermyde writes a very interesting piece. You don’t have to agree with him, but you would be wise to respect his analysis.

Read the NRA's guy in IL, Todd Vandermyde's take (http://www.gunssavelife.com/?p=3844)

http://www.gunssavelife.com/?p=3844

If someone wants to reprint the whole thing here, consider this permission to reprint.

John

If you enjoyed reading about "Don't be so quick to castigate Senator Trotter (O'Hare Airport .25 auto)" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
C0untZer0
December 7, 2012, 09:39 AM
I read Todd's article, and Trotter's problem is going to be the media - not a few thousand angry forum members who post on Illinoiscarry.com, her and elsewhere.

And as much as Alverez may have alienated him by letting him sit overnight in jail - she could also procure a dependable anti-gun vote for all future gun bills for Madigan and Cullerton by making Trotter's case go away.

ApacheCoTodd
December 7, 2012, 10:13 AM
Ally? Not quite yet. May come around beyond his current seat saving concessions in the future, but ally?

M-Cameron
December 7, 2012, 10:19 AM
i honestly dont care that hes pro/anti gun......

to me its about the fact that politicians are legally treated the same as every other citizen.

I dont care if its Ron Paul or Hillary Clinton.....if you break the law, you go to jail, and then you get to go to court like the rest of us.

472x1A/B
December 7, 2012, 10:47 AM
Folks I don't post much here ok? But come on John, do you really think that holding this clowns feet to the 'fire' is going to make things right/happen here in Illinois? Sorry, but I think you're dreaming the FORWARD dream. Nothing will come of this and he will probably just get 6 months probation, them move FORWARD. And we will hear nothing more ever.

homatok
December 7, 2012, 02:28 PM
Obviously, being from Canada, I do not have a dog in this fight---BUT---at best this guy is a hippocryte! Not someone I would want representing me if he were in my area.

rodinal220
December 7, 2012, 02:29 PM
Lets see if he gets off because he is connected to the machine and the flight attendant gets the short end of the stick.

fanchisimo
December 7, 2012, 03:06 PM
I think this is a case of where "live by the sword, die by the sword" comes to mind. If Senator Trotter has been lenient on people in the past that have made mistakes, gun or otherwise, then I think he deserves leniency. If however, he has crucified people for political/personal reasons that have made a mistake, then he should be given the same treatment. I hope that, either way, in the future he will display humility as he has been there himself. Then again, I believe that politicians more often then not will forgo what's right to walk along their party lines.

Trent
December 7, 2012, 04:23 PM
The dude has been anti-gun since the 80's, co-sponsored every piece of legislature that's ever had to do with restricting firearms rights.

Let him sit in prison a couple of years.

Trueno
December 8, 2012, 07:50 AM
Obviously, being from Canada, I do not have a dog in this fight---BUT---at best this guy is a hippocryte! Not someone I would want representing me if he were in my area.

"Hypocrite" is putting it mildly, same thing as Diane Feinstein of California having a permit unattainable by lesser animals.

To the OP - the ink on Trotters' release papers isn't even dry yet...before you put Trotter on a pedestal, let's hear what he has to say.

As a matter of fact, what HAS he had to say?

t

Onmilo
December 8, 2012, 07:56 AM
Funny how peoples positions "Moderate" when they get caught up violating ridiculous laws!
"Whaddaya mean it's a FELONY! I only had a couple grams of weed on me!!!"

FROGO207
December 8, 2012, 08:39 AM
They should add a charge or two for carrying anything smaller than 9MM at the least IMHO.:what::D

Seriously lets see what HE says about it. I am in the camp that this will disappear with little or no fanfare.:mad:

scaatylobo
December 8, 2012, 11:14 AM
Ted Kennedy [ yea HIM ] was in Washington DC [ THE anti-gun capital of the free world ] and his 'bodyguard' was found to be in possession of handguns,full auto weapons and ammo = and he was NOT allowed these anymore than a citizen was.

bet you know how that turned out.

There have been too many cases of the liberals and democrats that profess anti-gun rhetoric ,found to possess guns and yes even handguns.

The difference is to them,its do as I say and not as I do.

JohnBT
December 8, 2012, 10:11 PM
I recall that, it was funny. He tried to check an Uzi and a Beretta at the Capitol. "Hi, would you hold my machine pistols." John

January 15, 1986|By United Press International

WASHINGTON — Sen. Edward Kennedy's private bodyguard, hired for a trip to South America, was arrested last week when he arrived at the Capitol with two submachine guns and ammunition, officials said Tuesday.

The bodyguard was identified as Charles Stein, 47, a former police officer in San Fernando, Calif., who has worked for the Massachusetts Democrat in the past, providing security on overseas trips. He was released on his own recognizance after appearing in court.

Texan Scott
December 8, 2012, 10:58 PM
They're gonna castigate him? I knew chicagoland gun law was strict, but I didn't know it was a neutering offense!

Kidding... actually, I'm told a castigus was a Roman cat 'o nine tails with shards of bone or metal woven in. Still seems a bit harsh.

I'm a Texan, so my vote carries no weight, but a politician who breaks the laws he endorses for the common man because he apparently feels himself above both the law and the people sounds like precisely the kind of arrogant hypocrite that ought to replace ... n/m.

stickhauler
December 9, 2012, 05:47 AM
I might even buy into the argument to cut the guy some slack, if not for the lame excuse his lawyer offered. It's claimed he had just got off work at his "other" job as a security guard.

Now, I'll admit, I've seen a variety of firearms used by private security company guards. But a .25ACP? Come on! What, couldn't he find his sharp stick to carry when he went on duty?

I'm in Chicago on a somewhat regular basis, and deal with security guards who are simply guarding a plant entrance, and they're packing a minimum of a 9 mm. And that's their FULL TIME job, they ain't drawing a senator's salary in addition to their pay.

I have to go through security on a regular basis where they key onto making sure you're not armed. I go into Canada on a weekly basis, and they're real strict about anyone carrying even a tactical sized knife. Yet somehow I've been able to remember to not have prohibited weapons in my possession all these years.

He deserves to take the fall for his actions, yet I'm pretty sure he'll get squat in punishment. And reaffirm the beliefs of the citizens who see that those who have power don't have to follow the rules us mere mortals do.

Double Naught Spy
December 9, 2012, 07:04 AM
Senator Trotter made a mistake forgetting about a gun in his carry-on. Yeah, he gamed the system a little bit. The gun in his carry-on was an oversight that frankly, could happen to any of us.

No, it could not happen to any of us.

This excuse always reminds me of Steve Martin's skit about "You can be a millionare...and never pay taxes!" http://snltranscripts.jt.org/77/77imono.phtml

Two simple words. Two simple words in the English language: "I forgot!" How many times do we let ourselves get into terrible situations because we don't say "I forgot"? Let's say you're on trial for armed robbery. You say to the judge, "I forgot armed robbery was illegal."

It is a lame excuse in Martin's 1978 skit and it is a lame one now.

So we should not be so quick to castigate Trotter because he is a moderate? Fair enough. However, I thought he should be castigated for being an idiot. When fellow gun owners are not responsible enough to handle their guns properly, then maybe some felony conviction intervention will help make them more responsible and safer.

If he is a moderate, maybe somebody can remind me on when he has voted for guns and in support of gun issues. I was looking up his voting record and I don't seem to be able to find anything of the sort.

Todd Vandermyde's comments are just an NRA cop-out. From the OP's link http://www.gunssavelife.com/?p=3844

Donnie Trotter is a friend. But I know that but for the grace of God, in my haste on a trip someday, I could be sitting where he is today. And I would want the same opportunity not to have my life ruined because I made a mistake.

Sorry Tood, but the "I forgot" and "I made a mistake when I committed this felony" are not valid legal excuses. Such "mistakes" of responsibility have consequences and that is why it is so important to be aware of what you are doing. Being a gun owner isn't a free pass for breaking the law.

EddieNFL
December 9, 2012, 09:21 AM
Today, in his new district, he’s “moderated” his position – in part because his district is a good deal more conservative that it used to be AND because of grassroots pro-gun activists like those of us at Guns Save Life holding his feet to the fire.

SYNOPSIS: He will take whatever path leads to re-election, so trust him.

breakingcontact
December 9, 2012, 09:43 AM
The laws aren't for the economic or political elite.

vito
December 9, 2012, 10:36 AM
He only got into trouble because he was in a federally regulated area, the airport. Despite the reality that Illinois has no concealed carry law, it is common knowledge that city council members in Chicago are permitted to carry a concealed handgun. The fact that it is as illegal for a council member as it is for the rest of us does not change anything. In addition to finding it hard to believe that he really worked as a security guard the night before (a security guard who carries a tiny 25acp?), I find it hard to beleive he "forgot" it was with him. I think he just forgot that being an Illinois elected official wouldn't make him immune to the rules of the TSA; he likely assumed he would get a pass on this as he would with local police officials. Maybe if he actually gets jail time it will help bring some sanity to the concealed carry situation here in this dysfunctional and corrupt state.

Alnamvet68
December 9, 2012, 10:54 AM
While I do not wish to see the "good" senator pilloried, my only wish is that he receive the exact fair and balanced "justice" that I or anyone else will most assuredly receive if it was I or anyone else who committed the exact same infraction; no more and no less.;)

comus3
December 9, 2012, 12:23 PM
Ted Kennedy had a Capitol Police security detail.

mac66
December 9, 2012, 12:40 PM
There needs to be a sense of karma about this. If the gods were just, this guy would be convicted of a felony, lose his rights to own guns, lose his job and not be able to run for public office anymore.

barnbwt
December 9, 2012, 01:08 PM
In addition to finding it hard to believe that he really worked as a security guard the night before (a security guard who carries a tiny 25acp?)

Rather interesting links in a cursory Google search on this guy's "security job"... (http://www.google.com/#hl=en&tbo=d&output=search&sclient=psy-ab&q=Is+senator+Trotter+really+a+security+guard%3F&oq=Is+senator+Trotter+really+a+security+guard%3F&gs_l=hp.3...1600.10192.0.10582.44.41.0.3.3.0.157.3234.36j5.41.0.les%3B..0.0...1c.1.SxXF2VwmICc&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.&fp=76f70bb515aa5578&bpcl=39650382&biw=1013&bih=512)namely how much he's being paid, and said firm's political connections :scrutiny:

This Sun article has a good summary:
Arrest raises questions on Trotter’s job at security firm with city deal (http://www.suntimes.com/news/metro/16849836-418/state-sen-trotters-bond-set-at-25000.html)

I must say, Chicago's leadership is doing a heck of job landing itself in jail, these days! :D

TCB

Double Naught Spy
December 9, 2012, 01:31 PM
Wow, $350K working as a consultant for a security firm where about which he does not report the income on state documents and folks don't seem to know he works for the firm? Interesting, or rather, curiouser and curiouser.

Trent
December 9, 2012, 01:48 PM
Just more corruption.

This guy has consistently voted ANTI-GUN since he first got in office.

He's consistently co-sponsored every piece of anti-gun legislation in records as far back as 1989 (even pioneered the waiting period junk, and other anti-gun legislation in Illinois).

He joins a private security firm with ties to other corrupt politicians in Chicago, gets a massive annual payout (from WHO exactly?), for doing what? All so he can carry a firearm wherever he damn well pleases, because if he ever gets caught he can say "oh I'm a consultant for such-and-such".

No, this guy is NOT a damn moderate, he's never BEEN a moderate.

Let me make this clear - it is absolutely DISGUSTING me that Todd Vandermyde and the NRA are calling for people to "take it easy" on our dear anti-gun senator.

If this is the new NRA stance in Illinois, I'm going to rip up my life membership card and mail it back to the folks at the NRA in protest.

YOU DO NOT MAKE DEALS WITH THE PEOPLE TRYING TO STRIP YOUR CONSTITUTIONAL RIGHTS AWAY.

THIS IS EXACTLY *HOW* WE GOT IN TO THE MESS WE ARE IN ALREADY (NFA, CG'68, FOPA, etc, etc.)

Un-freaking-believable.

EddieNFL
December 9, 2012, 02:35 PM

I think he meant this:

http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/1986-01-15/news/0190180113_1_submachine-guns-bodyguard-uzi

Kennedy Bodyguard Arrested For Possessing Machine Guns
WASHINGTON — Sen. Edward Kennedy's private bodyguard, hired for a trip to South America, was arrested last week when he arrived at the Capitol with two submachine guns and ammunition, officials said Tuesday.

The bodyguard was identified as Charles Stein, 47, a former police officer in San Fernando, Calif., who has worked for the Massachusetts Democrat in the past, providing security on overseas trips. He was released on his own recognizance after appearing in court.

I read elsewhere Kennedy was "incensed."

hso
December 9, 2012, 03:37 PM
Unregistered handgun in Chicago.
Handgun in carry-on.

One might be "I forgot", but the other isn't.

Warp
December 9, 2012, 04:40 PM
Unregistered handgun in Chicago.
Handgun in carry-on.

One might be "I forgot", but the other isn't.

Does Trotter live in Chicago?

gym
December 9, 2012, 05:02 PM
My dear friend and very well connected lifetime Marine, had a similar problem with his wife, "who I also know", she was flying out of NY when a loaded 357 was found in her purse.
This of course caused bells and whistles to go off, and she called my friend, who put in a call to a buddy from Homeland, within 15 minutes she was released from custody. They kept the gun. It's all a bunch of malarcy, it's going to happen frome time to time.Normal people forget that they are carrying after years of doing so, why even bother pemalizing a person for an obvious oversight.

Warp
December 9, 2012, 05:04 PM
My dear friend and very well connected lifetime Marine, had a similar problem with his wife, "who I also know", she was flying out of NY when a loaded 357 was found in her purse.
This of course caused bells and whistles to go off, and she called my friend, who put in a call to a buddy from Homeland, within 15 minutes she was released from custody. They kept the gun. It's all a bunch of malarcy, it's going to happen frome time to time.Normal people forget that they are carrying after years of doing so, why even bother pemalizing a person for an obvious oversight.

She should be serving ~18 months in prison.

Laws not being applied consistently is despicable.

gym
December 9, 2012, 06:46 PM
I would normally agree with you, But this man is a real life hero, He served 3 tours and has every medal they can bestow on a marine. He went on to teach sniping to other branches and special units, and I don't think that he is one who asks for favors lightlly. He called someone who called someone and the result was that she was released.
I could see if it was done with malice intended, but she is just a nice older woman, who dosen't deserve to be thrown in the system for being forgetfull. Fact is she doen't like carrying guns but does so at his insistance. He knows what's out there, so it wasn't something she normally thinks about. If anyone deserved a break it's someone like her.
People catch breaks everyday for a lot worse than this, including senators sons and daughters who get driven home when pulled over drunk, and police captains kids and wifes. It is always going to be that way. It's an unwritten code.
Show me a cop who reports a fellow pfficers family member for a DWI, and I will show you a rainbow.
I know of one who drove through a fence "wooden" in Old Westberry, LI,NY, and got driven home while another officer drove his car home and smoothed things over with the people who owned the house.
It's always who you know. Unless your a politician and get nailed by the opposing party of the media. but vets and LEO"s have been protecting each other from day 1, and will continue to do so, with speeding tickets fines and any thing that a regular person would get nailed for.
Pilots have been flying drunk for decades until the tragedy in 9/11. my uncle who passed away was operations manager for Eastern Airlines, you would be suprised how many times they couldn't wake up the pilots and co pilot because they had fallen asleep flying a transatlantic flight, with no flight attendants, it was just an empty plane One time they went so far passed the mainland they almost ran out of fuel before responding.No one was ever punished because the airline doesn't want that kind of press. You can bet they paid one way or the other. How about mechanics being sucked into jet engines, that never made the news, even though it wasn't uncommon.It's part of life.
I don't think anyone should go to jail for forgetting they left a pistol in their coat or handbag. It happens everyday.
Jail is for people who intentionally commit a hanus act. Not an innocent mistake that hurt no one.

Warp
December 9, 2012, 06:57 PM
I would normally agree with you,

Laws that are not applied consistently are despicable.

We do not need more of this "the unwashed masses follow THIS set of restrictions, while the important people follow THAT set of restrictions"

The more people there are who get special consideration, the harder it is to get rid of the asinine laws, and the more people there will be who get screwed over by ridiculous laws.

Accepting inequality is not the answer.

k_dawg
December 9, 2012, 07:17 PM
One who works to deny basic human rights to other citizens; engages in one of the most repugnant acts possible.

Sorry, but this guy deserves hard time.

Trent
December 9, 2012, 07:38 PM
Illinois is chock-full of examples of "first class citizenry."

One of the most blatant is allowing police officers to carry loaded, concealed firearms off-duty, while denying ordinary civilians any possibility of the right to do so (regardless of training, etc.)

I understand when an officer is on duty they need to be able to defend themselves - they're often put in to situations which could turn violent. But OFF duty they should be required to keep and transport their weapons in the same state ordinary civilians must keep them in. Unloaded, and in a case.

EddieNFL
December 9, 2012, 07:54 PM
I would normally agree with you, But this man is a real life hero, He served 3 tours and has every medal they can bestow on a marine. He went on to teach sniping to other branches and special units, and I don't think that he is one who asks for favors lightlly.

How does that transfer to his wife?

Warp
December 9, 2012, 07:55 PM
How does that transfer to his wife?

This is the United States. It isn't about what the law is. It isn't about whether or not what you did was legal or illegal. It is about who you are and who you know. Sometimes it is about what race you are, and what race the other person is. Your actual actions...second fiddle.

gym
December 9, 2012, 09:06 PM
Eddie, it's called a favor. You can do or not do a favor for someone who asked it of you. It doesn't have to be for you, it might be for your son, "like put in a good word for him" or your father, or anyone, favors aren't limited to ones self.
Has no one ever asked nor you ever asked someone for a favor for another person. If not then I find that hard to believe. Getting in the teamsters, or the TA, or any good job that requires you make a call, is a favor.
My step son got on the LIRR, because a Police Leutenent called in a favor.
If you don't know anyone that can call in a favor if need its a very lonelly world in certain areas of the country.
You can't even get an interview these days unless someone knows someone and calls in a favor to even get you in the door. That's the way big cities work, you want to get a starting salary of $75,000 per year, in NY sanitation, you need someone to call in a favor or you will die of old age before you get called, same with most any city or Govt job, when I took the Police test 100 years ago, they were not hiring, you had to know someone of wait 3 years for the magic listto open again. they even freeze dissability for people who are missing limbs, "sorry we aren't giving dissabillity for 2 years, you are on the list. So you can go starve and live on air until they unfreeze the list. Unless you can call someone.It's the way of the world, no one said it was right, only that it is what it is.
Until the day comes when everyone is equal, favors are just part of life, like it or not. Teachears make 30 grand a year, and garbage truck drivers start at 100,000 in private sanitation, for 6 hrs a day. Seniority gets weekends off.

JERRY
December 9, 2012, 09:16 PM
i say he should fall victim to the same laws he voted for.

barnbwt
December 9, 2012, 09:43 PM
...it's called a favor.

It's called corruption. "Putting in a good word" is perfectly fine; it's mere testimony. However, it is frequently a euphemism for "bend the rules" in all too many cases. Entire nations have been ruined by "acceptable" corruption and graft--it's how $1,000,000,000 vaporizes before it can do any good in Afghanistan. It's how a Party official in China got away with killing a pedestrian in a DUI. Our nation only prospered the way it has because we historically had a low enough level of corruption that our labor was not squandered on "favors".

All men are treated equal under the law in this country. Founding principle. Anything to the contrary is an erosion of this nation's ascendance above anarchy.

It's the way of the world, no one said it was right, only that it is what it is.
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."
--Edmund Burke

I know of one who drove through a fence "wooden" in Old Westberry, LI,NY, and got driven home while another officer drove his car home and smoothed things over with the people who owned the house.

I'm sure the homeowners were elated the incident was smoothed over so. I'm sure a bribe or threat wasn't made or implied to the homeowner. See the bit above about the DUI fatality coverup in China and explain why one is acceptable but not the other.

TCB

gym
December 9, 2012, 10:18 PM
Neither is acceptable, I just pointed out the fact that they will always exhist. As long as one group can take care of it's own it usually will, as long as they can keep it quiet, once it gets out, they will deny they had anything to do with it.
But doing physical harm is a step above doing property damage. Is it acceptable , no, will it continue, yes. Until all men are held accountable by the same laws and there is no wiggle room, people will try to get away with whatever they can, it's always been that way and likelly always wiill. you get penalized for being a law abiding person.

Neo-Luddite
December 9, 2012, 11:08 PM
Trotter should be able to plea to a misdameanor that won't destroy him over a victimless and errant/un-intended offense. I don't care for the man and hgis politics, but that is well apart from the point.

Warp
December 9, 2012, 11:09 PM
Trotter should be able to plea to a misdameanor that won't destroy him over a victimless and errant/un-intended offense. I don't care for the man and hgis politics, but that is well apart from the point.

Plenty of people serve years in prison for victim-less crimes.

Lex Luthier
December 9, 2012, 11:12 PM
So ultimately the only thing that matters is if you know somebody who can do you favors?

We all have "connections", whether it is the butcher who allows a little extra value on a brisket, the dude at the hardware store who lets us walk out with a handful of free nails, or a dude at Homeland Security who averts a felony. Some folks make a career of working their way into convenient relationships at organizations that might be helpful someday.

Not surprised anybody gets away with anything anymore. Regular folks who play honestly in the sandbox will always have a harder time in life if they expect special treatment. Staying below the radar is the order of the day.

EddieNFL
December 9, 2012, 11:39 PM
Eddie, it's called a favor. You can do or not do a favor for someone who asked it of you. It doesn't have to be for you, it might be for your son, "like put in a good word for him" or your father, or anyone, favors aren't limited to ones self.
Has no one ever asked nor you ever asked someone for a favor for another person. If not then I find that hard to believe. Getting in the teamsters, or the TA, or any good job that requires you make a call, is a favor.
My step son got on the LIRR, because a Police Leutenent called in a favor.
If you don't know anyone that can call in a favor if need its a very lonelly world in certain areas of the country.
You can't even get an interview these days unless someone knows someone and calls in a favor to even get you in the door. That's the way big cities work, you want to get a starting salary of $75,000 per year, in NY sanitation, you need someone to call in a favor or you will die of old age before you get called, same with most any city or Govt job, when I took the Police test 100 years ago, they were not hiring, you had to know someone of wait 3 years for the magic listto open again. they even freeze dissability for people who are missing limbs, "sorry we aren't giving dissabillity for 2 years, you are on the list. So you can go starve and live on air until they unfreeze the list. Unless you can call someone.It's the way of the world, no one said it was right, only that it is what it is.
Until the day comes when everyone is equal, favors are just part of life, like it or not. Teachears make 30 grand a year, and garbage truck drivers start at 100,000 in private sanitation, for 6 hrs a day. Seniority gets weekends off.
My question was rhetorical, but thanks for the condesending reply.

gym
December 10, 2012, 12:33 AM
I didn't mean to be condesening, it was just the way you asked how it applied to his wife, which should be self explanitory, it's his wife. One dosen't necessarilly have to ask for a favor for themselves, if not a wife then who?
That's the only reason for my response, if your wife has a problem are you going to ignore it and leave her in a room at the airport, or call for help?
Personally I choose the latter, you call whoever can be of the greatest assisitance when a loved one is in trouble.
Perhaps I over explained it but perhaps you under rated the explanation thus the misunderstanding.
Anyone who sleeps in the same house is part of my family and myself, thus no explanation should have been necessary. i am sorry you took it that way and meant no disrespect.

Double Naught Spy
December 10, 2012, 01:48 AM
But this man is a real life hero,...

A hero who voted against 2A rights. Being a "hero" doesn't mean being above the law. Jails aren't just for people who committed hanus acts. They are for people who broke the law.

fanchisimo
December 10, 2012, 01:56 AM
Double Naught, I think the "real life hero" was referring to his marine friend.

1911 guy
December 10, 2012, 09:02 AM
I say we throw him under the bus and then check how well the transmission shifts from first to reverse. Several times.

"Guns for me, none for you" seems to be his stand and voting record. Then he "forgets" a pistol at an airport checkpoint. I can feel sympathy for someone who forgets to check for a few loose rounds in a bag they wind up travelling with. But a pistol? Sorry. John Q. Public would be crucified by the TSA for this. For this guy, I'll bring the nails.

gym
December 10, 2012, 12:47 PM
Thanks fan, I didn't think I had to re write that part also. The problem with posts that go on for days is that very few people read the entire post, and take things said, completely out of context. If you start reading one of the thought provoking posts we have here, please try to stay on top of where the conversation has gone.
I have been guilty of it myself, but we should try to read the entire thing so that if someone makes a comment, we know what it was directed to.
Obviouslly this just proves that politicians, or at least some if not all, are hypocriytical, which shouldn't be news at this point. they are like stockbrokers, what they say, and what they say they meant, "when cornered" are usually 2 different things." If this and that happen then I meant what you said, otherwise I agree with you" , is usually what they try to convey. Their sole agenda is to get elected, and will usually do anything to accomplish that goal, Remember the Swift boats" from Kerry.
My fear is that we have a presidential cabinet that are all like this now, and the Potus can elect judjes who he already has interviewed through other people, and knows that they will back his agenda. Once that hapens it will take a decade to restore our rights.

EddieNFL
December 10, 2012, 11:18 PM
I didn't mean to be condesening, it was just the way you asked how it applied to his wife, which should be self explanitory, it's his wife. One dosen't necessarilly have to ask for a favor for themselves, if not a wife then who?
That's the only reason for my response, if your wife has a problem are you going to ignore it and leave her in a room at the airport, or call for help?
Personally I choose the latter, you call whoever can be of the greatest assisitance when a loved one is in trouble.
Perhaps I over explained it but perhaps you under rated the explanation thus the misunderstanding.
Anyone who sleeps in the same house is part of my family and myself, thus no explanation should have been necessary. i am sorry you took it that way and meant no disrespect.

I'm fairly thick skinned.

I would absolutely make a call for a family member. Anyone here would so I guess we all have something in common with Mr. Trotter. I think your downfall was attempting to justify it because your friend is a hero/marine/good guy.

Texan Scott
December 11, 2012, 12:38 AM
I believe in equality under the law and uniformity in its application. I also readily admit that I would solicit favors, offer bribes, misrepresent facts, and generally perjure or forswear myself to protect my wife or kids. I suspect many men more righteous than myself would.

I also see a big difference between a man who served his country pleading leniency for someone else, and a man who has acted as if the country serves him pleading leniency for himself.

I don't defend this - I do not condone it - I only admit that I would sacrifice whatever measure of my personal honor for my family's safety.

All that aside, if I bend the rules to save my family, I will know what sort of man I am- good, bad, and human- and I will live with that. It is still behavior unbefitting a holder of public office, and continuing to hold one would be inappropriate.

Mr Trotter needs to have the decency to resign and settle his legal affairs on his own time and his own dime.

comus3
December 12, 2012, 04:28 PM
I think he meant this:

http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/1986-01-15/news/0190180113_1_submachine-guns-bodyguard-uzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by comus3 View Post
I think he meant this:

http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/...-bodyguard-uzi

Quote:
Kennedy Bodyguard Arrested For Possessing Machine Guns

I guess times were different back then. thanks

Jeff White
December 12, 2012, 05:17 PM
So Trotter is friendly to Todd Vandermyde when he calls on him in his capitol office and because of that we are supposed to overlook the fact that he violated the law?

You can't expect me to believe that Trotter actually walked a post as a security guard. He took the job so that he could walk a thin line between legal and illegal while carrying a gun. As an armed security officer he basically could carry a gun on the job and while in transit between his home and work. So, get stopped by the police and found carrying a loaded gun and he says "I'm legal, I just left work." They call his employer who conveniently verifies the story and Trotter walks.

So the NRA rep thinks we should not only forgive him for making "a mistake that anyone of us could have made" but overlook the fact he was obviously gaming the system to get around Illinois ban on CCW?

I don't think so. Does Vandermyde believe any other Illinois citizen could get sponsored by a licensed security company, take the 40 hour training and have a deal set up so that he was conveniently on his way to or from work no matter what time of day he got caught with gun?

Sorry Todd, it doesn't wash. I demand that our legislators live up to the letter of the law just like the rest of us do. In fact I demand that they follow it closer then I do after all they were involved with writing it.

I don't care how much his views have changed. He needs to be prosecuted to full extent of the law and receive the same sentence that anyone else would.

I am sick and tired of members of the political class acting like they are better in the eyes of the law then the private citizens they work for.

barnbwt
December 12, 2012, 08:11 PM
He took the job so that he could walk a thin line between legal and illegal while carrying a gun.

In this case, the $350K "salary" as a "security consultant" may have been the primary motivation for "employment," and the CCW a side-benefit ;). I've not seen near enough attention paid to this angle of the story; just the irony (actually hypocracy) of an IL state official being caught with an illegal gun. All the more reason to not prop this scumbag up as an average-joe, upstanding citizen fighting for gun-rights :rolleyes:. Vandermyde must've owed him a favor or two is my guess *shakes head*

TCB

Trent
December 12, 2012, 10:06 PM
Sorry Todd, it doesn't wash. I demand that our legislators live up to the letter of the law just like the rest of us do. In fact I demand that they follow it closer then I do after all they were involved with writing it.

I don't care how much his views have changed. He needs to be prosecuted to full extent of the law and receive the same sentence that anyone else would.

I am sick and tired of members of the political class acting like they are better in the eyes of the law then the private citizens they work for.

Wow, I'm with Jeff on this one. We haven't always seen eye to eye, me and Jeff ;), but on this issue, yup. Absolutely, what he said.

Public representatives should be held to a HIGHER standard than citizens. Just as law enforcement officers, due to their training and power, should be held to a higher standard of morality. (Sorry Jeff, couldn't resist a little poke there!)

If I act one certain way my entire professional career, then all the sudden in my time of need attempt to convince someone that I am different than I've acted all of those years, and I succeed in doing so, well, that only proves one thing. That proves I'm a really good politician.

Which.. is why I'll never believe a word that comes out of the mouth of a politician; I'll only believe what I see happen under the stroke of their pen or the casting of their votes.

Trotter would have to work a LONG time as a staunch pro-gun activist before I'd even venture to consider calling him a moderate on the issue; let alone an "ally" or "friend". You can't erase 30 years of history with one phone call and an empty promise.

If you enjoyed reading about "Don't be so quick to castigate Senator Trotter (O'Hare Airport .25 auto)" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!