I need some info

PDA

longshot7.62x51
December 7, 2012, 08:44 AM
Ok im looking for a shot gun that I can use for hd and hunting. Wight is not really an issue and would like a 7 or 8 rd tube plug for hunting. I know I will never need 8 rds for hd but I would like to get into 3 gun heavy metal class so a pump would be mandatory. Will be selling an ar10 to finance this project so cost should be below 900$

If you enjoyed reading about "I need some info" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Fred Fuller
December 7, 2012, 11:22 AM
A good used 870 will run about $200. CDNN has some new 2-shot Remington magazine extensions for about $40, and a long magazine spring and follower from Wilson/Scattergun will run about $12. An 18.5" smoothbore 870 barrel with rifle sights will run about $150 from Remington, they sometimes turn up used for $50 or so less, more often the used barrels you find will be 20" rifle sight barrels though. And those will take a 3-shot extension. Just be sure and match the extra barrel you buy to the shotgun you buy, I would not buy a used Express with magazine tube dimples for this project, and any spare barrel would need to have the magazine cap detent in the barrel ring.

So we're talking about $400 more or less here, given some careful shopping, for a completely satisfactory shotgun that will fit the requirements you have described. I'm waiting for a spring and follower from Wilson/Scattergun right now, to finish an older model 870 Express project just as I have described above...

No need to sell that AR10...

longshot7.62x51
December 7, 2012, 01:46 PM
How old should I b looking what year will be al metal or am I mis informed about the express having plastic parts

Fred Fuller
December 7, 2012, 07:00 PM
There's a bushel basket full of malarkey on the web re. Express guns. The older ones, made before the shift to magazine tube dimples to retain the magazine spring and cap, are just fine. The post-dimple Expresses may have plastic trigger plates and definitely have a plastic mag spring/mag cap retainer. If you start unscrewing the magazine cap on one and hear it going 'clack clack clack' it has dimples. That's as far as I go these days.

The older ones have cast aluminum trigger plates, as they always did. Other than the magazine follower, everything else that counts is steel. Newer Expresses have polymer trigger plates. I see nothing wrong with them right now - 40 years from now it might make a difference though.

If you enjoyed reading about "I need some info" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!