Why is rcmodel not a moderator?

PDA

lykoris
December 7, 2012, 06:44 PM
He has always been a central point of reference for advice within the reloading section, has a huge post count which demonstrates activity/commitment to the site and most important of all has always been level headed within discussions in the reloading section.

I would love to see him as moderator of the reloading section.

This thread will be moved perhaps but given his participation within the reloading section I thought it was the most appropriate place to post.

Who else would like to see him as moderator?

If you enjoyed reading about "Why is rcmodel not a moderator?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
trickyasafox
December 7, 2012, 07:05 PM
I too have always enjoyed his posts- but perhaps he doesn't want to be one, or perhaps thr.org doesn't have an open slots right now? I've always found this board well moderated, they might not have any gaps.

rbernie
December 7, 2012, 07:16 PM
Moderating requires consistent time availability, and sometimes that's just hard to commit to providing.

AMHIK. :)

Coop45
December 7, 2012, 07:18 PM
Only if he's still able to post as many interesting threads as he does presently.

hentown
December 7, 2012, 07:32 PM
I'd hazard a guess that he doesn't need the grief that moderating would entail. ;)

Arp32
December 7, 2012, 07:34 PM
Only if he's still able to post as many interesting threads as he does presently.

Ditto.

twofifty
December 7, 2012, 07:53 PM
The reloading forum is one of my favourites on thr.

I find it is a thoughtful place, with many valuable contributions. I've learned a great deal here, from rcmodel as well as from many others. If rc were a moderator I'd hope that would not cut into his quality time with us.

beatledog7
December 7, 2012, 07:56 PM
I think I remember him saying once on here that he was asked and politely declined.

As a non-moderator he can chime in or not, as he sees fit. If he were a mod he'd have no choice but to put up with us and try to herd us back into line.

Certaindeaf
December 7, 2012, 08:10 PM
He's a pretty cool cat. I always enjoy reading his helpful and informative posts. got a buttload of cool knives, many of which he made.. sheaths too

blarby
December 7, 2012, 08:12 PM
Moderating requires consistent time availability, and sometimes that's just hard to commit to providing.

HAve you seen that post count ?

CharlieDeltaJuliet
December 7, 2012, 08:15 PM
He is one, I take his word for the gospel.... If nothing else, thanks for all of the help and knowledge, RC.

P.S. I agree he would be a great addition.

Bull Nutria
December 7, 2012, 08:31 PM
I think RC is incredible, he is a wealth of knowledge that is a treasure to this forum. thanks to RC for all you do. he is quite witty to boot!!

Bull

jcwit
December 7, 2012, 08:35 PM
I wish I knew what he's forgot.

Once in a while I do not quite agree but its always trival.

Reloadron
December 7, 2012, 08:45 PM
Relatively new here I enjoy his post and expertise very much. My guess would be that sometimes when we enjoy a forum it is a source of relaxation. That changes when one accepts an offer to moderate in that the forum you enjoyed and relaxed in becomes work. This being a larger forum there is plenty of moderation work involved and as mentioned time demanding.

Just My Guess
Ron

rcmodel
December 7, 2012, 08:50 PM
O.K. folks.

I know only a few of you have any knowledge of this, as I have in the past only shared it with a few other THR Mods & members.
Maybe it's time to fess up and stop hiding my personal life.

My wife of 48 years has Alzheimer's/Dementia, and that sometimes pulls me away unexpectedly, and with no forewarning.

Sometimes I get upset when dealing with it.
Sometimes I need to step away and try to get my wits about me again.
Sometimes I need to stop crying.

There are times when it would be very very difficult for me to remain a cool, calm, & collected Mod, and come up with a rational decision when I needed to come up with one quickly.

That is the reason I have so far declined an offer to be a mod.
That is also the reason my post count is so high.

I got nothing else I can do except set here and wait for the next shoe to drop without warning, as I can't leave her alone to do anything else by myself.
But enough said about that.

I truly appreciate all the kind words from you all!

rc

Sky
December 7, 2012, 09:00 PM
rcmodel that is a tough road to follow; my heart felt prayers are for you and your wife.......So sorry

rcmodel
December 7, 2012, 09:11 PM
jcwit said:
Now wait a minute!

I may not always be right.
But I was seldom if ever completely wrong!! :D

On purpose at least??? :confused:

rc

CZ57
December 7, 2012, 09:15 PM
rcmodel, I agree with the other posters even if we've disagreed on past issue's which I don't remember any. The purpose of my post is to say God bless your wife, and God bless you and may he give you the strength to carry on! ;)

DMH
December 7, 2012, 09:17 PM
RC All I can say is thank you. Thank you for your time and your expertise. Thank you for you professionalism and knowledge. I know your hands are full. With the description of your wife's condition it will put large demands on you and your patients. I will pray for you and your wife and for you to have the strength that one needs when caring for a loved one.

DMH

sleepyone
December 7, 2012, 09:20 PM
But I was seldom if ever completely wrong!!

I like that. Here is another little quip that catches people off-guard.

I once thought I was wrong...but I was mistaken.

JLDickmon
December 7, 2012, 09:23 PM
RC.. I sit here this evening drinking to the memory of my father, who passed a year ago today.

I drink to you as well.

jcwit
December 7, 2012, 09:30 PM
jcwit said:

Quote:

Now wait a minute!

But I was seldom if ever completely wrong!!

On purpose at least???

rc

Well put!

You truly are a wealth of knowledge!

jcwit

Certaindeaf
December 7, 2012, 09:34 PM
Yea, if I were closer I'd sure buy you a beer. Try to stay strong, brother.

jcwit
December 7, 2012, 09:38 PM
rc, I had no idea the struggle you and your wife are going thru. I have a very close shooting friend whose wife is suffering from the same illness. I'll keep you and your wife in my thoughts and Prayers. May God Bless you both.

jcwit

twofifty
December 7, 2012, 09:44 PM
Thank you rc.

420Stainless
December 7, 2012, 09:48 PM
Very sorry to hear of your suffering RC. I have always appreciated your advice and always look specifically for your posts while surfing THR.

Henry45
December 7, 2012, 09:50 PM
rc, thanks for sharing your wealth of knowledge with us here. We all greatly appreciate it.

bds
December 7, 2012, 09:50 PM
My wife of 48 years has Alzheimer's/Dementia, and that sometimes pulls me away unexpectedly, and with no forewarning.
My heart goes out to you and your wife as you are dealing with a difficult situation.

Certainly as your presence has benefited your wife, your presence on THR has undoubtedly benefited many reloaders and shooters (including me) along with your often uncanny and humorous twists.

My prayers are with you.

How about an "honorary" moderator status for rcmodel with no commitment requirement so he can moderate when he is able?
What say you THR staff and admins?

orionengnr
December 7, 2012, 10:20 PM
pm sent...

J_McLeod
December 7, 2012, 10:38 PM
I've also benefited from your posts, and appreciate your input here. MY thoughts and prayers are with you and your wife.

gspn
December 7, 2012, 10:53 PM
Heck...until now I assumed RC was a super-computer programmed with all knowable firearms facts and running algorithms that allowed for real-time, intelligent, "human like" correspondence...kind of like IBM's "Big Blue" was to the chess world.

I'm terribly sorry to hear about your situation RC. I've benefited from your wisdom over the years and had no idea what you and your wife have been going through. God bless you both.

DM~
December 7, 2012, 11:01 PM
RC,

I will say a prayer for both you and your wife, i know EXACTLY what it's like to take care of a "high needs" loved one!

DM

rcmodel
December 7, 2012, 11:02 PM
Heck...until now I assumed RC was a super-computer
THIS DOES NOT COMPUTE.
THIS DOES NOT COMPUTE.
THIS DOES NOT COMPUTE.
THIS DOES NOT COMPUTE.
THIS DOES NOT COMPUTE.
THIS DOES NOT COMPUTE.
THIS DOES NOT COMPUTE.
THIS DOES NOT COMPUTE.
THIS DOES NOT COMPUTE.
THIS DOES NOT COMPUTE.
THIS DOES NOT COMPUTE.
THIS DOES NOT COMPUTE.
THIS DOES NOT COMPUTE.
THIS DOES NOT COMPUTE.
THIS DOES NOT COMPUTE.

Dang nab-it gspn, now you've done went and spilled the beans. :cuss:

Mods?
Can you please reboot this thing and get it straightened out again?

rc

gspn
December 7, 2012, 11:05 PM
THIS DOES NOT COMPUTE.
THIS DOES NOT COMPUTE.
THIS DOES NOT COMPUTE.
THIS DOES NOT COMPUTE.
THIS DOES NOT COMPUTE.
THIS DOES NOT COMPUTE.
THIS DOES NOT COMPUTE.
THIS DOES NOT COMPUTE.
THIS DOES NOT COMPUTE.
THIS DOES NOT COMPUTE.
THIS DOES NOT COMPUTE.
THIS DOES NOT COMPUTE.
THIS DOES NOT COMPUTE.
THIS DOES NOT COMPUTE.
THIS DOES NOT COMPUTE.

Dang nab-it gspn, now you've done went and spilled the beans. :cuss:

Mods?
Can you please reboot this thing and get it straightened out again?

rc
No great secret lasts forever! :)

duck911
December 7, 2012, 11:08 PM
This is the best forum on THR and the first place I come to search for reloading help and advice.

RC always seems to pop up in my searches and I agree with the rest of the guys, RC you are a real asset and a true gentleman.

Having just had a major health scare with my own wife, I have a very slight (again, *slight*) understanding of the strength you undoubtedly bring to the table in your family, so I am sending prayers your way.

joneb
December 7, 2012, 11:36 PM
Thank you RC, :)
Best wishes,
John

higgite
December 8, 2012, 12:35 AM
RC, thanks for your input to the forum. Whenever I see your name in a thread, I figure I'm about to learn something, and I'm usually right. (Insert "I thought I was wrong once" joke here.) ;) God bless you and the missus.

LiENUS
December 8, 2012, 12:46 AM
RC, you've helped me even though I've barely posted here so I feel I should join in as well. Thank you for your contributions to THR and I hope you well in your journey through life. I hope you go quite far on your journey before the other shoe has to drop again.

tightgroup tiger
December 8, 2012, 06:54 AM
I've learned more from you than anyone or any teacher I have ever had about guns and reloading. I always wait for you and a few other to reply to posts so I will know the right thing to do. You don't always post what I want to hear, but you post what I need to know to do it right.

Your probably more of a father figure" to alot of us than you realize.

My father and father in law both passed from awfull extended illnesses and left me feeling alone and betrayed. Guns were our lives and no one else in the family shares my interest. Then I found this forum and the good people on it.

You've helped some of us in more ways than you can realize.

God bless you and your wife and don't hesitate to keep me going in a straight line.

thump_rrr
December 8, 2012, 07:42 AM
RC I can somewhat understand what you are going through on a certain level.
My Mother was diagnosed with Alzheimer's /Dementia 10 years ago.
I have been taking care of her for the last 4 years since my Father passed away.
There are days when you want to cry and there are days you want to scream.

I wish there were words I could say that would change things but there aren't.
God Bless you and your Wife and stay strong for her.

powell&hyde
December 8, 2012, 08:13 AM
Prayers sent your way RC, I also agree with bds on a "honorary" moderator status for RC.

lykoris
December 8, 2012, 08:29 AM
As a small recompense for all the advice you have given me either directly or indirectly over the years, (also in the spirit of Xmas) perhaps I can interest you in something from this side of the pond.

Belgian chocolates, the finest in the world (so my wife insists but being Belgian you'll appreciate my position in agreeing with her :D) They trully are divine if you have a sweet tooth and handmade chocolate truffles from a Belgian chocolatier are certainly a treat!

Or perhaps a bottle of 18 year old Scotch such as The Glenlivet.

We also have a great selection of Cuban cigars here in Luxembourg.

Needless to say they are all my weaknesses :D

Let me know what you fancy and I will FedEx it ;)

floydster
December 8, 2012, 09:03 AM
There is only ONE rcmodel--and we have him, tell me, are we lucky or what!!!
Thanks rc for all the info and knowledge you bring to us.
Prayers for you and your wife, I know what it's like, I have been there in my 76 years of life.

Smokeyloads

JShirley
December 8, 2012, 09:11 AM
...and that, folks, is why questions such as the OP should be asked privately. It is brave of RC to share this with the board, but any member should have the option of keeping their personal life private...and members should probably assume that staff has good reasons for decisions about personnel.

Peace,

John

The Bushmaster
December 8, 2012, 10:09 AM
Me?? I just like RC...He just seems like a right kinda guy.

Hang in there RC...

bikerdoc
December 8, 2012, 11:18 AM
Moderator is just a title.

Each of us has the the power to report a thread, intervene in a thread going down hill, and give good advice in our area of expertise.

RC just happens to be better at it than most of us.

Lets us all strive to imitate his values and strive to become as knowledgeable as he is.

God bless RC.

Sam1911
December 8, 2012, 11:32 AM
Moderator is just a title.Well, sort of.

If you really think about what you're asking, it's like this:

You're on a bus trip with a lot of pals. One pal is the life of the party -- telling jokes, getting party games going, breaking out his guitar, and generally putting a smile on everyone's face. After a while, the group says, "Hey pal, you're fantastic! We all got together and voted and we're proud to appoint you as the guy who has to muck out the toilet in the back row and scrape off all the bugs on the windshield. Oh, and also if there are any crying babies or any carsick puking folks you have to deal with them so we all can have a nice ride. So, thanks buddy, you're wonderful. Now here's your bucket and squeegee ... I think the kid in 27B just puked so get to work!"

:)

Walkalong
December 8, 2012, 11:33 AM
rcmodel would make a great moderator, and although right now he is unable to do so, he is a tremendous asset to THR, just the same.

Mal H
December 8, 2012, 11:35 AM
To add to what John said, I started to post last night that if so many members have noticed how helpful and knowledgeable rcmodel is, do you seriously think we on the THR staff haven't noticed? I decided not to post though, knowing his situation.

With that, there really isn't much need for further discussion on the matter so I'll close it. If rc gets any more praise, it might make his head expand, and we can't use a future moderator who can't wear the standard sized aluminum foil hats we are all required to wear. :)

But, I can't close this without bringing back a little guy that marked rcmodel's posts when he first joined. He was asked to discontinue using it since it was essentially an avatar (which are not allowed here), and he graciously agreed to stop. So without further ado:

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j219/rcmodel/KTOG/1224.gif

1911Tuner
December 9, 2012, 05:24 AM

Sometimes I get upset when dealing with it.
Sometimes I need to step away and try to get my wits about me again.
Sometimes I need to stop crying.

I had no idea, brother.

It just goes to show that many people...some close friends...are leading lives of quiet desperation, and they never reveal the details. It also shows that some people who take the vow: "For better or for worse" are serious about it.

You're a good man.

May God bless and keep you strong...and remember to take care of you, too. If you fall, she faces it alone.

Brian Williams
December 9, 2012, 09:21 AM
Thanks rc, My father is going thru this same thing with his wife of 66 years. God Blesses when you bless Him.

If you enjoyed reading about "Why is rcmodel not a moderator?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!