Frozen Meat Gun

PDA

snake_plisskin
December 7, 2012, 08:35 PM
I saw this in the news today. An employee at a supermarket found a Rock Island Armory 1911 chambered in .38 super packaged with some frozen meat. It even had a loaded magazine. Looks like I should buy more frozen meat!

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/12/07/15753406-mystery-in-the-meat-supermarket-employee-finds-handgun-in-frozen-food

If you enjoyed reading about "Frozen Meat Gun" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
ricebasher302
December 7, 2012, 08:52 PM
SEVEN ROUNDS! OH HEAVEN HELP US! Great sensationalism in the video.

That'd be a tough find to turn over to the cops. I'm trying to imagine the guy who let it slip out of his holster as he bent over the box (or however it happened). "AH, SON OF A...."

ApacheCoTodd
December 7, 2012, 09:17 PM
If it weren't from Colorado, I'd say it's the perfect plot point for a Scorcese movie.

Meat packers, handguns, mystery...

rsrocket1
December 7, 2012, 09:29 PM
"No you idiot, when I told yous to "put 'em on ice" I meant the Vinny, not your gun"

utbrowningman
December 7, 2012, 09:32 PM
Article I read said the box from the packing plant was dated June 2011. Remind me never to get meat from that store.

David White
December 7, 2012, 11:39 PM
I would have put the gun in my waistband and taken it home.

To bad, so sad. Finders keepers!

ApacheCoTodd
December 7, 2012, 11:46 PM
Yep!

Step one. Initiate subtle finders keepers dance and slink off to the car.

Step two. Hot gun search. You don't want to be a part of that don't picture.

"So Todd, tell us again how you happened to come in contact with this particular pistol?"

"Really! It was in a rump roast!"

"I guess you're gonna stick to that story then?"

smalls
December 8, 2012, 12:03 AM
Guess it didn't work so well for the cow, huh? :evil:

Certaindeaf
December 8, 2012, 12:36 AM
Maybe it was bear meat. Was the front sight filed off?

Fishbed77
December 8, 2012, 04:49 AM
So disappointed. I thought this thread was about a gun that fired frozen meat.

ku4hx
December 8, 2012, 11:11 AM
If you consider the current price per pound for the beef, that would put the cost of the gun at something on the order of $15 to $50.

Of course the ATF at your backyard BBQ may be unanticipated consequences.

scaatylobo
December 8, 2012, 11:22 AM
And here I thought the line was "take the cannoli,leave the gun".

Guess it was a rump roast after all.

ApacheCoTodd
December 8, 2012, 12:16 PM
Funny, I almost went there too but thought it was another poorly worded title that related to testing ballistics on frozen meat - like Rocky.

"take the cannoli,leave the gun". Why does that make me chuckle every time I see him say it? The casual nature, priorities?

osprey176
December 8, 2012, 05:59 PM
Heck,thats worth eleven bucks a pound.I'll throw the ribeye away.

Ankeny
December 8, 2012, 08:18 PM
One of the guys I used to work with found a Ruger Blackhawk next to the highway. Turned out to be a stolen gun that was subsequently used in a homicide. Paperwork, time spent with the DA, and a couple of days off work to go to the trial. Would have been a heck of a lot less hassle if he would have just taken it home.

SharpsDressedMan
December 9, 2012, 07:53 PM
BATF will be back tracing that one!

leadchucker
December 9, 2012, 08:23 PM

I'm reminded of a certain aircraft maker who wanted to see how well their aircraft windshields could withstand large bird strikes. They developed a cannon that would shoot packaged supermarket turkeys at the windshields under test. The cannon worked too well it seemed. Every turkey blasted right through the heaviest windshields that they could design.

One night, frustrated after being unable to figure the problem out, one of their engineers shouted, "Why are these turkeys so totally defeating every windshield design we have?" The janitor, overhearing the lament, asked, "Maybe you should thaw the turkeys first."

smalls
December 9, 2012, 10:16 PM
I'm reminded of a certain aircraft maker who wanted to see how well their aircraft windshields could withstand large bird strikes. They developed a cannon that would shoot packaged supermarket turkeys at the windshields under test. The cannon worked too well it seemed. Every turkey blasted right through the heaviest windshields that they could design.

While I was in school for aviation maintenance an instructor told me about this, and it became a dream job of mine, haha.

rondog
December 9, 2012, 11:06 PM
I read that the pistol was actually in a box, inside the box of ribs? And from what I've heard about the employee population where that meat-packing plant is, I'm not surprised that a gun was involved. Most likely that gun was supposed to be retrieved from that box of ribs by someone else, somewhere else. I'd bet it was being sent from one homie to another, and homie #2 missed the box. I'd also bet that the box of ribs was "marked" somehow to ID it.

Kiln
December 10, 2012, 02:29 AM

One night, frustrated after being unable to figure the problem out, one of their engineers shouted, "Why are these turkeys so totally defeating every windshield design we have?" The janitor, overhearing the lament, asked, "Maybe you should thaw the turkeys first."
My dad worked for Pratt and Whitney for years. Not sure if it is true but he claims that they used a frozen chicken cannon to test their engines, not the windshields.

Jaymo
December 10, 2012, 03:08 AM
I wouldn't want to be in that position. When I worked for U-Haul, back in 1990, I used to find small sacks of weed in the trucks that were turned in.
I informed the store manager and let him deal with it.
There was no way I was going to get involved in that, for $6.50/hour.

g_one
December 10, 2012, 12:02 PM
This baffles me. If I found something that looked like a family heirloom, or something engraved with someone's name on it, something sentimental, etc. I'd turn it in in a heartbeat. But a 1911? If you let that thing fall into a pack of meat you all but deserve to have it taken from you. That thing would be in my truck and being taken to the range before the meat thawed.

otasan56
December 10, 2012, 04:19 PM
What a strange find and caliber!!

cuba
December 10, 2012, 04:27 PM
I've laughed my way through this whole thread really witty comedians hear.

shoot safe, shoot straight, and have fun

rondog
December 10, 2012, 05:04 PM
This baffles me. If I found something that looked like a family heirloom, or something engraved with someone's name on it, something sentimental, etc. I'd turn it in in a heartbeat. But a 1911? If you let that thing fall into a pack of meat you all but deserve to have it taken from you. That thing would be in my truck and being taken to the range before the meat thawed.

It didn't fall in the box of meat, it was placed in there. The pistol was inside it's own box, inside a large box of frozen ribs. And the box of ribs was dated back in 2011, yet was just recently delivered! So, it's a mystery. I still say Jefe was sending the pistol to his cousin Alejandro.

Bryar83
December 10, 2012, 05:11 PM

Same here. I was all excited for a minute...

otasan56
December 10, 2012, 05:13 PM
what to expect from this thread when I opened it. :confused:

Cosmoline
December 10, 2012, 05:25 PM
Year old meat? I'm glad I've gone vegan.

19-3Ben
December 10, 2012, 05:40 PM
Also expected a thread about bullets made of frozen meat, like some old dime store novel.

That's a crazy story.

leadchucker
December 10, 2012, 06:34 PM
Also expected a thread about bullets made of frozen meat, like some old dime store novel.

Wasn't there an old Hitchcock movie where a woman murdered her husband by hitting him over the head with a frozen leg of lamb. By the time the cops came to investigate the murder, she had it cooked, and served it to them.

Robbins290
December 10, 2012, 06:49 PM
there was a csi show where someone shot somebody with a meat bullet. they couldnt finf the bullet because it blended in. but some fungus starting growing that was only found in cow meat.

bushmaster1313
December 10, 2012, 07:33 PM
I thought it would be about filling your freezer hunting with a handgun, and I do not hunt.

DanTheFarmer
December 10, 2012, 08:52 PM
Hey All,

Just think of the fun we could have debating the merits of frozen 85% lean ground beef vs. chuck roast vs. high rollers advocating filet mignon!

That would make the 115 gr vs. 124 gr vs. 147 gr 9mm discussion seem boring, hey wait, that one usually is boring!

Just trying to have a chuckle, don't roast me (o.k., o.k., I'll stop before I get thrown off this otherwise informative and courteous forum).

Good Luck All,

Dan

MachIVshooter
December 11, 2012, 02:13 AM
This is the same Swift packing plant that got raided by ICE awhile back. Guess they didn't get the message.....

As for the handgun? Yeah, unless the S/N was defaced, I'd have kept it.

If you enjoyed reading about "Frozen Meat Gun" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!