Muzzle-loader season

PDA

kbbailey
December 7, 2012, 08:26 PM
My favorite season of the year opens tomorrow. Muzzle-loader season. I'm gonna take my .54 Hawken, maybe my Rem '58, small tarp, can of soup, small coffee boiler, fire kit, and spend the day watching the river go by. Maybe a nice buck will venture past.

No cellphone.
No wristwatch.

Does anyone else try to disappear into history during m/l season??
Am I forgetting something??

If you enjoyed reading about "Muzzle-loader season" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
rodwha
December 7, 2012, 11:55 PM
I've yet to do it in this fashion, but I've been reading about those that go backpacking to get a mountain goat or elk. Wow! Now that's hunting!

It's the packing your gear and the animal out that has me wondering though. I ain't but 150 and 5'8". Maybe I'll need need to makes friends when I move to elk territory. Cause elk sure does taste good!

Jim, West PA
December 8, 2012, 12:46 AM
That sounds wonderfull to me, save the tarp, can o' soup, coffee boiler, fire kit and watchin the river go by.
I'd be stalkin my way thru the woods 'bout 10-15 yards an hour.
Iffin i made it to lunch time before a kill.I'd fix me up a holder made o' green twigs to hold the waxed paper wrapped samich i been keepin inside my shirt over a very small stick fire to kind o' toast it up.
Iffin i scored a kill early on, i'd make me a holder o' green twigs to hold the tenderloins over a bit bigger fire and cook 'em up right there bloddy handed and hungry after i finished thankin the Lord for the kill.
I'd then eat my waxed paper wrapped samich that i had stashed inside my shirt on the way home.

kbbailey
December 8, 2012, 07:59 AM
jim, we were able to hunt that way about 20 yrs ago. Now there are so many hunters that you would walk under a half dozen hunters by noon. Even at 15yds/hr lol. It's not really huntin....more like deer waitin. Well, maybe its not that bad, but almost. I guess thats another reason that I like m/l season, it has fewer hunters.

As far as draggin the critter out I have a 4x4 Honda atv with a nice dump-bed atv sized trailer, that I ride to the huntin' woods.

Waiting for the rain to ease up as I am takin my 11yo son with me today. Oh, and I will admit to having my cellphone and watch with me.

OrangePwrx9
December 8, 2012, 09:14 AM
I hunt my own land; access is restricted. During regular gun season, I hunt with a muzzleloader. Put up some blinds and tree stands before the season and still hunt between them. So, I'm either sitting and watching or moving very slowly through the terrain. But doing it primitive has no appeal here.

Normally the action dies down by 10 am and doesn't pick up again until 3:30 or so. If I'm feeling gung-ho, I'll hunt to noon and retire to the pickup for a sammich and a short nap, then back to the hunt about 1:30.

If I've come to my senses, I'll drive back to the house about 10:30 and won't reappear until about 3:00. I find the rest does me good and the deer let their guard down a little. The less I'm around the more deer I see when I am around.

When I score (as I did earlier this week), I'll walk back to the barn, get the Kubota, bring the animal out in the loader, and lift it up to the tailgate of the pickup. Farmboys typically can't see the sense of expending muscle power if there's equipment around to do the job. The fact that I'm pushing 70 probably contributes to this.

Now if you'll excuse me, the butcher called and I have to go pick up my deer meat :)

shooter_from_show-me
December 8, 2012, 09:44 AM
I will have to wait until next Saturday as Missouri M/L season doesn't start until the 15th and ends on Christmas. But good hunting for those going today!

josiewales
December 10, 2012, 06:12 PM
Here in PA I can't take my '58 hunting! :(

kbbailey
December 11, 2012, 08:28 PM
The m/l season ended quietly here. It was about 55 degrees and rainy. The deer were not moving at all. The one good thing about the gloomy weather was that most hunters stayed home. I was able to venture off our property and explore some of my old haunts like I used to before TV hunters turned all the younger generation into face painting "bone collectors" and "buckmasters" lol. It was good to travel some of those old trails while carrying my old .54 like I used to 20+ yrs ago.

I should give the younger generation a break, because my 21yr old son came in my shop today and plopped down a sack of 1500 #10 percussion caps that he had found on sale at Gndr Mtn.

....maybe there is hope.

Loyalist Dave
December 12, 2012, 08:46 AM
Where in IL are you? My family has about 600 acres south of Virden, but that's more like central IL, eh?

BP season opens here on Saturday the 15th. I got a nice deer on the 8th with my flintlock on the last day of modern gun season. We're having trouble with the deer here in MD, with the deer harvest way down. I think it simply do to the feeding patterns before the season opened, with the deer eating and going into bedding sites just before dawn, and not coming out out until about an hour before sunset. In the past three years you could expect to see deer and get a shot from dawn to about 9 a.m., and then at around noon to 2 pm, or near sunset.

LD

Crawdad1
December 12, 2012, 10:02 AM
Yep, but I do that in the summer with my ’51 Navy and a few heads of cabbage for bait I head into the woods every weekend from June through September to hunt groundhogs. No nothing except what I need to shoot them pesky vermin with my trusty revolver. Basking in the hot sun, drinkin some water. All summer long!!!

kbbailey
December 12, 2012, 10:14 AM
Virden is quite a bit north of me. I,ve been there a few times. Good farmland up there.

I have a 169" buck hanging over the mantle, (taken with my .54 Hawken),therefore I am not as bloodthirsty as I once was. I had several opportunities at younger bucks and does, but chose to let them go. My 11yo got a big doe during early youth season, and my 21yo got a nice 10pt during firearm season.

We own and operate a farm, so I am out and about all year. I just don't think we have the deer population that we had 10yrs ago.

Patocazador
December 12, 2012, 11:49 AM
If you live near Vienna, that's real pretty territory. I had an acquaintance that ran a small store in Goreville who only quail hunted. He said to come kill all those nasty deer and geese. I'm sorry I never took him up on it.

ridgerunner1965
December 12, 2012, 07:30 PM
muzzy season starts here in mo on sat the 15th.i cant wait! need more deer steak!

Loyalist Dave
December 14, 2012, 10:21 AM
Actually, this year I noticed before even the bow season opened, that the deer were eating from about 04:00 to dawn, and then not getting really active again (unless pushed by a human) until about an hour before sunset. So they are out there, but not when we normally see them in past years. In previous years they were busy from dawn on into the morning hours, then again either in the afternoon or after dark in the evening. I think it's just a cycle. I don't think this year we've had some sort of die-off. I know there are more deer here than 10 years ago...

LD

If you enjoyed reading about "Muzzle-loader season" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!