Rifle Rests for Accucracy

PDA

RiverratMike
December 8, 2012, 09:26 AM
I had a Lead Sled DFT and recently replaced it with a FCX which is the one with a joy stick device for fine tuning. I like it but trouble is that it still has what I consider flaws that can be corrected. You have to, to some degree, readjust after every shot because the rest is knocked off of the aim point with the recoil. Also both rests are awkward for a left handed (eyed) shooter to use the coarse elevation adjustment screws (without standing up). And with the FCX the shot bag is awkward to place into the tray. Also the bag seams split easily but can be fixed with Mylar tape although this is sort of tacky looking.
I have been looking at Hyskore rests with recoil dampers, especially the Dangerous Game Machine Rest. They look great but a lot of the user reviews complain about bad detail design and bad workmanship. \
Any suggestions? TIA RiverratMike

If you enjoyed reading about "Rifle Rests for Accucracy" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
helotaxi
December 10, 2012, 10:58 AM
My Fire Control (non-Lead Sled hybrid version) has been relegated to dust collection duties because of the difficulty using it left-handed and the need to readjust it after every shot. It doesn't work as well for me as a basic Rock Jr. and a Protektor rear bag or even a decent bipod and rear bag.

With a bit of shooting to get used to the rifle, I've decided that I have no use for a recoil reducing setup from the bench shooting up to .338 WinMag. I use the rest or bipod and bag for zeroing and load development and a long bipod for practice and hunting from a sitting position.

If the recoil is bothering you, placing the shot bag over your shoulder will do a lot to dampen it. Likewise a good recoil pad on the rifle helps a lot. I wasn't a big fan of shooting my 7WSM until I had around 100rnds down the tube and started focusing more on making the shot than worrying about the recoil. At this point I don't even notice it anymore.

If you enjoyed reading about "Rifle Rests for Accucracy" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!