Bullet clearance inside of mag?

PDA

Steve H
December 8, 2012, 01:45 PM
Hope this is in the correct forum, if not please move.

I have a new Springfield XDs (45) and three times in about 250 rounds fired the slide has stayed open. At first I thought this may be just a "break in" issue but last night I started thinking about cartridge OAL in relation to the inside of the mags. Went out to the shop today and started to try to figure out how much clearance there is between the tip of a round and the inside of the front of the mags. I do have any round feeler gauges so I made up a long dummy round and kept "shrinking" it until it just barley would load into the mag. What I came up with is almost .020" clearance. The ammo I was having a problem with is Federal Bulk. I measured a bunch of it this morning and it come in at mostly 1.267. The dummy round would not load unit I squeezed it down to 1.285. I guess my question is................is .017" clearance enough?

I have not had any problems with my reloads, they are 1.255" and all factory HP ammo feeds with no problems.

If you enjoyed reading about "Bullet clearance inside of mag?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
rcmodel
December 8, 2012, 02:23 PM
Mil-Spec 230 grain FMJ-RN ball ammo is loaded to 1.266" - 1.271".

SAAMI Max length for any bullet shape is 1.275".

The gun & magazine should work with ammo that length or shorter.

rc

56hawk
December 8, 2012, 02:34 PM
Not sure I follow. What do you mean by "the slide has stayed open"?

Steve H
December 8, 2012, 02:38 PM
RC, is there a spec or standard for the amount of clearance from the tip of the Mil-Spec ammo to the mag? I guess the question is, could Springfield have made the mags too short from front to rear?

Steve H
December 8, 2012, 02:39 PM
Not sure I follow. What do you mean by "the slide has stayed open"?

The slide stayed back as if the mag was empty.

56hawk
December 8, 2012, 02:43 PM
Usually that is caused by your thumb accidentally touching the slide release lever. You might want to try changing your grip and see if that helps.

rcmodel
December 8, 2012, 03:04 PM
I guess my question is................is .017" clearance enough?
Yes.

The dummy round would not load unit I squeezed it down to 1.285.Then you have .010" extra clearance over the longest allowable SAAMI max length.

That should be plenty.

rc

Steve H
December 8, 2012, 03:10 PM
RC Thanks for the info, I wish I knew just a drop of what you do.

56hawk I was just thinking the same thing or maybe.......I'd hate to say it but "limp wrist"

The gun is new with only ~250 rounds through it. I think it's going to take some range time and maybe some adjustments on my part.

bds
December 8, 2012, 03:23 PM
three times in about 250 rounds fired the slide has stayed open
Usually that is caused by your thumb accidentally touching the slide release lever. You might want to try changing your grip and see if that helps.
To check whether you are unintentionally pushing up the slide release with your right thumb, try shooting the pistol with your left hand. If you can't duplicate the slide locking back with your left hand, you are pushing up the slide release unintentionally.

If you enjoyed reading about "Bullet clearance inside of mag?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!