Kimbers got me irritated.

PDA

The-Reaver
December 8, 2012, 11:51 PM
Alright so I got a pretty sweet deal on an almost new Stainless Kimber TLE II (LG) not ganna say how much as it doesn't matter and is irrelevant.
Anywho needless to say I got it fired it. Loved it carried it loved it blah Zack blah.

So anywho. I go to clean her and for the first time in my life I was stumped ....never has any firearm had me irritated enough to look online for disassembly. Normally I just tinker till I figure it out. It being a 1911 I though I knew it. WRONG! Little did I know I needed a tiny metal hook pin thing to take it apart. Me being a big SHTFer. I was kind of upset. So now I have to carry a set of pins around just so I can disassemble properly....lame kimber....lame.

Smooth shooter though. ;-)

If you enjoyed reading about "Kimbers got me irritated." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
bushmaster1313
December 8, 2012, 11:57 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lEq-j4YmCnk

Yikes!

The-Reaver
December 9, 2012, 01:15 AM
Yeah see mines the pro tle II with the hole he was referencing. I kind of wish mine just had the standard plunger even with a lot of tension. At least I wouldn't need a whole nother tool.

MICHAEL T
December 9, 2012, 01:55 AM
Just chane over to the orginal short gud rod and plug . Really No need for that guide rod.

Texan Scott
December 9, 2012, 06:05 AM
http://m.neatorama.com/2007/01/22/all-mcgyver-ever-needs/
:neener:

Redlg155
December 9, 2012, 10:05 AM
Kimber takedown tool. Aka...Bent paperclip.

Think of it this way. To clean your weapon, you need a cleaning kit. Just throw a couple extras in the cleaning kit.

rbernie
December 9, 2012, 02:43 PM
First thing that I do with my TLE Custom's is replace the FLGR with a USGI setup. If you have a Pro, then you just have to get used to the bull barrel and captive recoil spring setup unless you're willing to spend a fair bit of time getting a 4" reverse plug setup.

Derek Zeanah
December 9, 2012, 03:03 PM
Kimber takedown tool. Aka...Bent paperclip.
That's what I do. It works, but it's not pretty.

berettaprofessor
December 9, 2012, 03:09 PM
Kimber-bashing threads seem to draw me in like a car wreck and I've never owned one. Must be jealous because I haven't thought I was able to afford paying $1K for a 1911 that might or might not work. :rolleyes:

PabloJ
December 9, 2012, 03:17 PM
Kimber-bashing threads seem to draw me in like a car wreck and I've never owned one. Must be jealous because I haven't thought I was able to afford paying $1K for a 1911 that might or might not work. :rolleyes:
I always viewed those as re-labelled S&W 1911s. Why buy one when one can get original S&W 1911. The Performance Center ones are really nice and some even have Sc parts. Sc is MEGA Kool man.

buckhorn_cortez
December 9, 2012, 03:27 PM
I have four 1911's with full length guide rods and never use a tool to take them apart. Hold the gun in your hand with your palm facing you with fingers wrapped over the top of the slide and your thumb behind beaver tail.

Push the slide back with your free hand to line up the take down notch. Hold the slide aligned with your hand wrapped over the top and your thumb behind the beaver tail. Push out the slide stop / release lever with your free hand. Slowly let the slide come forward. Now wrap your fingers under the slide to hold the mainspring / guide rod / barrel in place and remove the assembly from the frame.

Release the tension from the spring by pulling up on the guide rod way from the barrel link. Push in on the guide rod plug and rotate the barrel bushing. Remove the plug, spring, take out the barrel, etc.

To put it back together - reverse the procedure. If you have two hands and are semi-coordinated - you don't need tools.

Kruzr
December 9, 2012, 03:48 PM
There is a nice diagram of how to take down the gun in the manual. An Ultra can be taken down without a paper clip, the Pro cannot unless you change the guide rod to a std. Commander guide rod.

The-Reaver
December 9, 2012, 07:42 PM
I mean, don't get me wrong I like the pistol.

But all my firearms are based on the idea of ease of maint. access. reliability. ammo avail.
This just throws a wrench.....errr paper clip in the mix.

J2FLAN
December 9, 2012, 08:33 PM
If that take down issue is all that is bothering you, it is a cheap and easy fix. The TLE is some of KIMBERS best work. I have a great sample of one, in my fold of 1911s, 9yrs old with about 20,000 rounds with no issues to date.
I think you did good!

BYJO4
December 9, 2012, 09:40 PM
Just keep several paper clips in your cleaning kit and range bag. This is no big deal if you have a gun that shoots good.

Walkalong
December 9, 2012, 10:47 PM
Guide rod (http://www.midwayusa.com/product/215285/wilson-combat-1-piece-bullet-proof-recoil-spring-guide-rod-1911-government-stainless-steel)

Recoil Spring Plug (http://www.midwayusa.com/product/546705/ed-brown-recoil-spring-plug-1911-government-stainless-steel)

Recoil Spring (http://www.midwayusa.com/product/675413/ismi-recoil-spring-1911-government-16-lb-chrome-silicon)

Put the old parts in your extra parts box. Toss the bent paper clip.

4thHorseman
December 11, 2012, 02:01 AM
Dude, for a $1.00 you can buy a box of 500 take down clips (paper clips). All you have to do is bend them a bit. Takes all of 2 seconds. Of all the things to upset you...Geesh!!!

Skylerbone
December 11, 2012, 02:38 AM
My thumbnails were tough enough to simply treat FLGRs like any other until I had new bushings installed. Now they all require wrenches, go figure.

If you go with the Wilson GI rod I'd recommend reprofiling the flange. Otherwise 10-8 Performance sells one with free shipping this week.

holdencm9
December 11, 2012, 02:32 PM
My Kimber is full size and has more traditional take-down. My friend has a Carry Ultra and has bought this little plastic slotted thing that you can clip onto the guide rod when the slide is pulled back, and that keeps the spring under compression which makes disassembly a breeze. Anyone know what I am talking about? It looked easy to me. Kind of a ripoff, he said it cost like $15-20. But if it makes disassembly that much easier, that is nice. Not sure if that would work in this case, and it doesn't solve the issue of needing an additional tool, but if you keep your Kimber it could help out.

scaatylobo
December 11, 2012, 02:49 PM
I have 2 Kimbers

CDP II

Super Custom Carry

Both are no problem and are 5" barrels and LIGHTWEIGHT and easy to shoot.

Sorry you have a 'problem'.

But it seems that you got some good advise.

JohnBT
December 11, 2012, 03:27 PM
"I always viewed those as re-labelled S&W 1911s."

You need to recheck your history books. Kimber started making 1911 style guns in the mid-1990s. S&W didn't start until 2003 - 7 years later.

Skylerbone
December 11, 2012, 04:15 PM
Ok, ok. Barring replacement, the easiest solution - assuming the bushing is finger tight - is to remove a bit off the total length on a one piece FLGR from the muzzle end. Grind, file, sand about an 1/8" off and you'll have an easier time depressing the plug. A 14 or 15 lb. recoil spring will also help as there is less force to overcome. No paperclips needed, same disassembly as a GI.

If you're handy with soldering, you could key the plug by filling in the lower half (front side) of the plug to make depression more comfortable. Often wonder why manufacturers don't make them that way. If you're confused by the concept, EGW makes a keyed set but only for GI plugs. See pic. here: http://www.egwguns.com/bushing-monogrammed-spring-plug-sets/monogrammed-barrel-bushing-set-od-.699/. Just remember the EGW cannot be used with a FLGR as it lacks the hole.

Redlg155
December 11, 2012, 06:04 PM
What if you just spend $20 and buy flat spring kit from Wilson? Wilson boasts that you can get up to 10 times the life of a standard spring. That way you can field strip without the need for a paperclip.

Trust me..if you are worrying about a paperclip, I GURANTEE you the spring issue will drive you nuts. Do I need a flat spring? Coil Spring? Flat Spring? Coil Spring? Flat Spring? Coild Spring? Flat Spring.......

Double_J
December 11, 2012, 06:27 PM
I learned how to use the magazine base as the tool for my PT1911 bushing. I do have several bushing wrenches I bought at a beef jerky show, but I can never find them when I need one. The best thing you can do is try a few different tricks mentioned here and try a few oddball ideas.

If you enjoyed reading about "Kimbers got me irritated." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!