Tula Primers...any good?

PDA

Guillermo
December 8, 2012, 11:08 PM
$20 per 1000 makes them the cheapest on the market.

Anyone have any experience with them, positive or negative that they are willing to share?

As always...thank you.

G

If you enjoyed reading about "Tula Primers...any good?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
ColtPythonElite
December 8, 2012, 11:11 PM
I have used thousands in small and large pistol with good results.

cfullgraf
December 8, 2012, 11:13 PM
The only dud primer that I can remember having in the last 20 years or so was with a TulAmmo large pistol primer.

I bought two thousand in 2009, shot about half of them so far. I probably will not buy any more unless I have no other choice.

J_McLeod
December 8, 2012, 11:28 PM
I bought 4k about a year ago from Powder Valley. I like them. Get about a 1% failure rate or less.

Reefinmike
December 8, 2012, 11:50 PM
Ive been through 5,000 that I recently ordered from PV without any hiccups. They are a little more difficult to seat than others, especially in winchester 38 cases- I really hate those cases, they always have high riding primers that I have to reseat. with all of my weight.

esheato
December 9, 2012, 12:10 AM
My brother has gone through no less than 10k and has yet to say anything negative about them.

FROGO207
December 9, 2012, 12:35 AM
Around 10K of various sizes seated and shot with no problems in the past 6 months. They are slightly larger in diameter so they are tight in some pockets. BUT they will give at least an extra use out of brass that already have loose primer pockets because of this.:D

119er
December 9, 2012, 02:23 AM
BUT they will give at least an extra use out of brass that already have loose primer pockets because of this.

I like it. I always appreciate a fellow brass rat. Except when they're looting my(edit) claim!

I bought a couple thousand SP from PV. Have yet to try them, but read good things about them. I've only had one dud primer and it was a WSP.

traderpats
December 9, 2012, 11:27 AM
Just picked up 5k of the Tula sp after doing some research. What others have stated here is also what I found. That they're a tad larger in diameter so are a tight fit.

With that in mind it seems most of the ftf may be related to them not being seated adequately. Many posts have stated any misfires functioned the second time struck. I'm seating firmly and haven't had any issues to date. Unless something really changes the Tula are going down in my book as a good buy....

mtrmn
December 9, 2012, 12:03 PM
Never tried Tula-but my failure rate with CCI, Federal and Winchester is absolute ZERO. I can't remember a single failed primer in 31 yrs of loading. Therefore I'll stick with what I know unless there is no choice in a desperate situation.

EddieNFL
December 9, 2012, 01:46 PM
I've used about 20K Tula. Used Wolf SR for a couple seasons of HP competition. Accuracy velocity and ES as good as BR4s and 205GMs.

Th only misfire I can recall was a CCI BR2.

NWcityguy2
December 9, 2012, 03:09 PM
I've been through several thousand Tula small pistol and large pistol primers. The small are great but will misfire alot if you are running reduced power hammer springs in your gun. They are very tough primers. The large are not as tough but fit into primer pockets very tightly. They are more work to get in but as others have noted, will prolong the use of your brass as pockets loosen.

When I switched from Winchester/CCI to Wolf/Tula it was to save $10 per thousand and I'd do it again in a heart beat. When reloading for 45acp or 9mm the 8lbs jug of powder is essentially free when comparing the price to other brands of primers.

GLOOB
December 9, 2012, 03:24 PM
I was good through 3k of them. Only had maybe one dud, and wrote it off as a freak incident. Then I had about 10 duds with my last 1k batch of Tula SPP. And I've had 1 dud through 1-2k of the Wolf 223 primers. These were not seating issues. Some may have been firing pin strength issues, as many of those 10 duds happened in the same gun - a stock GP100. But at least 3 of them happened in Glocks with very clean firing pin channels.

I've used 2k of the Wolf LPP, and no problems. I will probably keep buying those.

I've read of people having the occasional bad batch of domestic primers. But until I've experienced that, I'm sticking with CCI and Winchester; cuz my failure rate with them has been zero. And that includes when I first started loading and my seating consistency was all over the place. One bad primer is a waste of not only one round/primer, but also your confidence in the rest of the batch. There's nothing worse than socking away hundreds of rounds of ammo before finding out your batch of primers is unreliable.

I realize this is completely anecdotal; lots of people swear by Tula's reliability, but I can't help it that I no longer trust them. If I'd had a bad experience with Win or CCI, and never had a misfire with Tula, I'd be buying Tula.

mgmorden
December 9, 2012, 05:12 PM
Never reloaded with Tula, but their loaded ammo I've had a 1-2% failure rate on the primers going bang. I've used Winchester, Federal, CCI, and Fiocchi primers for my reloads and not once have I ever had a dud.

With that in mind unless its all I can find I won't use Tula. The Fiocchi's I'm using now I paid $20 per 1000 for less than a year ago and they've been absolutely fine.

Walkalong
December 9, 2012, 06:42 PM
1% failure rate or less.1-2% failure rate They are a little more difficult to seat than others,The number one cause of primers failing to fire is from the primer not being seated fully. :)

GLOOB
December 9, 2012, 07:11 PM
IME, Tula SPP and Wolf SRP seat no harder than CCI. The particular lot I actually measured was actually a hair smaller in diameter than the CCI I had at that time to compare to.

The Wolf LPP have been way harder to seat than normal. (Well, I mean they take more pressure to push the primer in. Not that that makes it any harder to use them).

All the dead primers I've ever had were the Russky small primers. The LPP have been perfect.

I always examine/rechamber/refire a dud to see if it was a seating issue. At least the first few times it happens in a session (If there are more than that, I figured it's the same problem as the others, and I'll just leave 'em in the dirt). I've never seen a high primer nor have I ever had a second (or third, or fourth) strike fire a primer on one of my dud (i.e. Russian-primered) reloads.

I'd almost like to experience a dud with a domestically manufactured primer. So I can give Tulammo another try and possibly save some money. But until that happens, I'll be happy to pay a little more. You guys that are happy with the Tula primers, you're lucky. I hope I just had a bad batch, and that everyone else is continues to buy them and save a lot of money on a quality product. I wouldn't want the price of domestic primers to go up. :)

FROGO207
December 9, 2012, 10:28 PM
I load with every different brand/size of primer that I can get my hands on already so that IF something is unavailable I will know what to expect with a substitution and not have to spend lots of time working up a completely different load yet again during a shortage. If I had any problems I would also be wary of them. I also have subbed SR primers for SPP ahead of time to see what will work reliably should there be the need in my handgun rounds.

Guillermo
December 10, 2012, 01:13 AM
Enough bad reports that I decided to go CCI.

have 8000 on the way from Powder Valley along w a few pounds of powder.

THANK YOU for the input.

THR members are the best!!!

oldreloader
December 10, 2012, 01:18 AM
I've used tula SPP, LPP,SRP.and LRP. As long as they are firmly seated I've had no problems with them. The SPP have NEVER given one problem in a S&W Sigma 9VE.

bubbacrabb
December 10, 2012, 12:40 PM
For the money I can't see why not to use them. I bought 55,000 of them just incase they went into a shortage. Regardless the stuff isn't gettin any cheaper and i had money to burn. If I only needed a few thousand I may of went a different route. I shoot a lot so it was worth it to me, and I haven't had any failures.

Guillermo
December 10, 2012, 12:58 PM

WOW!!!

beex215
December 10, 2012, 04:49 PM
id buy them all day if i could. the failure rate is still very very low that it still the best bargain on primers. ill go russian primers due to cost. there good stuff.

mizer67
December 10, 2012, 08:47 PM
Tula SR primers are excellent if you're using extruded powder.

ES and SD are lower than FGMM primers, and accuracy in my .223 loads is actually better. Velocities are lower (actually a good thing in this case, less variability from the primer). You do need a touch more powder as they're very mild.

Stay away from the SR or SRM for ball. They're mild enough even the "magnums" at times will not reliably ignite H335 or equivalent.

I wouldn't wish the nickle plated SPP on my worst enemy. Hard cups, hard to seat, missing anvils, etc.

I have no experience with their LPP or LRP.

evan price
December 11, 2012, 05:58 AM
Can we just get a Stickie about Wolf/Tula primers? Seems the Search feature must be broken and this question gets asked about 50 times a year.

hentown
December 11, 2012, 08:21 AM
I use nothing but spherical powders...period. I use Tula/Wolf small rifle primers, exclusively for .223 loading for my ARs and for 9mm loading for my Glocks. My experience, having used tens of thousands of Wolf and Tula primers is that their failure rate has been 0%.

I recenlty acquired 10k Wolf .223 small rifle primers from Wideners @ $14 per thousand, plus shipping and hazmat...still way under $20 per k. I currently have about 50k Wolf and Tula primers on hand. Might order some more in the next couple of days, just to make sure I don't run out during a "run" on primers period.

orionengnr
December 11, 2012, 07:38 PM
Can we just get a Stickie about Wolf/Tula primers? Seems the Search feature must be broken and this question gets asked about 50 times a year.

Ding Ding Ding...My vote for Post of the Month.

Guillermo
December 12, 2012, 01:15 AM
I did a search for "tula" in the subject line and came up dry for primers.

(lots of info on ammo)

evan price
December 12, 2012, 04:53 AM
http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=630512&highlight=primer+tula

There's others.

Certaindeaf
December 12, 2012, 08:41 AM
There's 21 threads with "Tula" in the thread title. Do an advanced search and indicate "thread title" instead of whole threads.

http://www.thehighroad.org/search.php?searchid=10909455

Guillermo
December 12, 2012, 09:14 AM
I did a search with "tula" in the title only before I started the thread.

No, I didn't want to start a thread with no reason. Was surprised that on the first or second page there was only ammunition threads.

It is not my desire to start useless, repeating threads like "Governor vs Judge...which is better?"

Sorry guys.

Certaindeaf
December 12, 2012, 09:34 AM
It's OK, man. People that didn't respond to those threads will/would probably respond to this one with newer input. I haven't tried any Tula yet but may one day take the plunge.
It'd probably be a good idea to have a brick (5000) of that even in good times for just in case/experimentation.

EddieNFL
December 12, 2012, 12:34 PM
I did a search with "tula" in the title only before I started the thread.

No, I didn't want to start a thread with no reason. Was surprised that on the first or second page there was only ammunition threads.

It is not my desire to start useless, repeating threads like "Governor vs Judge...which is better?"

Sorry guys.
Most threads are duplicated to some degree. I have a different approach: If I have nothing to add or don't care to repeat myself, I don't post a response.

Hondo 60
December 12, 2012, 02:00 PM
Anyone have any experience with them, positive or negative that they are willing to share?

I've used well over 1o,ooo Tulammo small pistol primers.
I ran into 3 - 100 packs that had a failure rate of about 1%

but the other 9,ooo+ worked perfectly.

They're a tad bit larger than CCI, so you have to give 'em some oomph to seat 'em.
But that's GREAT for older brass where the primer pocket is getting too big.

I usually place an order with Powder Valley once a year.
For 2011 & 2012 I ordered about 20,000 Lrg, Sm, Sm mag & Lrg mag & all were Tulammo.

I'd love to use CCI, but the price difference was just too much.

PS... I haven't noticed any accuracy or pressure issues.
So order up & bang away my friends! :neener:

HJ857
December 12, 2012, 04:07 PM
I use Wolf and Tula SR and SP primers. No problems with either. I find the Tula SP primers seat with a bit less needed force than the Wolf brand.

I have similar results to another earlier post in that Wolf SR primers gives me better SD and ES results, but just compared to Winchester primers.

fields
December 12, 2012, 05:37 PM
Are the new tula primers nickle or brass?
richard

ColtPythonElite
December 12, 2012, 05:45 PM
Brass

bds
December 12, 2012, 07:18 PM
How about SP primers?

evan price
December 13, 2012, 06:24 AM
Can you reload nickle brass with brass primers? What if nickle primers are in brass cases? What if they have been stored near steel cases? Can you buy nickel primers with nickels? If someone steals my nickels should I get a Wolf for security or am I Tulate?
Let's not even consider woodchucks.:D

hentown
December 13, 2012, 08:10 AM
[QUOTE][Can you reload nickle brass with brass primers? What if nickle primers are in brass cases? What if they have been stored near steel cases? Can you buy nickel primers with nickels? If someone steals my nickels should I get a Wolf for security or am I Tulate?
Let's not even consider woodchucks./QUOTE]

Just remember what diesel said to gasoline: "What kind of fuel do you think I am?" ;)

bds
December 13, 2012, 09:10 AM
I was asking whether new Tula SP primers had nickel/silver or brass/bronze colored cups.

Anyone?

Thanks.

HJ857
December 13, 2012, 10:22 AM
They're nickel color

floydster
December 13, 2012, 10:40 AM
Wow!! 41 posts on this subject again--but are Tula/Wolf primers really any good:)

Smokeyloads

Guillermo
December 13, 2012, 05:05 PM
43 posts

GLOOB
December 14, 2012, 12:57 AM
I've used well over 1o,ooo Tulammo small pistol primers.
I ran into 3 - 100 packs that had a failure rate of about 1%

but the other 9,ooo+ worked perfectly.
The problem is you don't know if the other 9,000+ are going to work perfectly until you pull the trigger. When you find those dud primers, ALL the ammo you have on hand that was primed from the same lot number are now suspect. All the ammo you're going to continue to make from that same lot is going to be suspect.

I spent several months purging and replacing my stash of Tula SPP primed ammo after running into some duds. I didn't come across any more, but that didn't make me feel any better until they were all tested (fired). A lot of those were jacketed HP's with matching headstamp and stored in MTM boxes.... something I'll not be taking the time to do with Tula SPP anytime in the near future. The cost of those HP's and the time spent sorting those headstamps greatly outweighed the 6 dollars per 1k that I saved on the primers. If I coulda paid a genie 50 bucks per 1k to magically replace those primers with Winchester, I would have. I may buy some more, someday. But you can bet they'll be loaded with cast bullets, mixed brass, and stored loose in a bag/bin for short term, only, before being used for plinking. Sure, that describes 99% of my reloading needs. But I do accumulate and keep some amount of ammo reserves. And I don't wanna second guess my ammo because I ran across a dud primer.

If you've had 0.03% failure rate with other brands, then that would be fine. I have personally had about a 0.3% failure rate with Tula SPP, a 0.08% failure rate with Wolf .223 primers, and a 0.000000% failure rate with CCI and Winchester. I've shot a bit more of the Win than anything else.

USSR
December 14, 2012, 09:40 AM
I have used the Russian primers for nearly 10 years now. Originally, they were imported into this country by a guy in Phoenix, Arizona. David Tubb thought so highly of the KVB-7 primers, that he bought 700,000 of them! I bought 5,000 of them and perhaps have 2,000 left. They produce very low ES and SD numbers and all have gone bang for me. The Russian factory then signed a contract with PMC, and for awhile PMC primers were Russian produced. After their contract expired, the Russian primers came under the Wolf brand, and these primers can still be occasionally found, although I don't know if the contract with Wolf has expired and they are just old stock. The Russian primers are more commonly found under the Tula brand. I must admit, I have never used the SPP's that seem to be problematic for some, but I suspect that the problem may be a combination of the primers not being fully seated (they are slightly larger and seat a little harder), and a somewhat weak primer strike by striker-fired pistols as opposed to revolvers. In any case, I have had no problems with them. Hope that helps.

Don

jmorris
December 14, 2012, 09:49 AM
Used many thousands SPP but most all of that ammo was used in SMG's, so certainly no light primer strikes.

Quoheleth
December 14, 2012, 10:14 AM
About 4 or 5 years ago, there was supposedly a bad batch that hit our shores. Lots of people complained to the company and got replacements. I suspect a lot of people lied, too, to get freebies. The net result was that the company stopped sending replacements.

Which is too bad...I apparently got one of those bad batches of Tula SPP. In a variety of guns, including CZ85, Smith 15, Smith 10, Ruger GP100, Ruger SR9c, and Kahr CW9, I have had anywhere from zero failures per 100 (rare) to 8 or 9 per 100. It happens in all of the guns - it's not a spring issue. Second-strikes sometimes fire; usually they don't. I don't have a bullet puller, but I do have a small coffee can about half-full of dud rounds that need pulling. Its frustrating to shoot them, knowing I will (not "might") have to deal with duds. The one and only positive is that you quickly see any flinch you might have.

I got them for a song - a full case plus another half-case of Wolf for something like $50. For the frustration it has caused me, I wish I had not heard of either brand.

Unless it truly is crisis situation and no other primers are available, I will not buy again.

Q

rebjak23
December 14, 2012, 10:29 AM
I tried them (LPP) last night in my Hornady LNL and they were very difficult to feed. I could not get more than 5 in a row without them hanging up and not feeding. I have used a thousands of Winchester with no problems ever. I am regretting the purchase of 5,000 i ordered. Its going to take a long time to load them.

GLOOB
December 14, 2012, 12:58 PM
but I suspect that the problem may be a combination of the primers not being fully seated (they are slightly larger and seat a little harder), and a somewhat weak primer strike by striker-fired pistols as opposed to revolver
This is fine and all, except it's not true. I believe Quoheleth is correct. I believe there were, indeed, a heck a lot of bad SPP imported a few years back. FTR, I had duds in Glocks, a hammer fired pistol, and a GP100. I actually had the most duds in the GP100. I always try rechambering and firing a dud, again, and none of the Tula/Wolf duds went off after multiple strikes. And this was AFTER having no issues thru my first several thousand Tula primers which I seated the same way and fired thru the same guns. And after having duds, I was very meticulous with my primer seating with the rest of that box, thinking maybe it was my fault. Nope. The rest of the box just got worse. Those primers were plain bad. One of the members of the forum had several dud Tula SPPs, and Tula .223 primers fired just fine in the same handguns for him.* Firing pin strength was not the problem!

I also heard of a big wave of bad Wolf primers coming in way back. Maybe over ten years ago.

And I wouldn't care if they replaced inconsistent lots with new primers at a 2:1 ratio, even. Cuz 1. I may have already loaded a lot of rounds with the bad primers - and primers are NOT the most expensive component in anything I load. And 2. If they can't keep bad primers from going to market, what are the replacement primers they are sending out worth?

I hope they've sorted out their QC issues for good. They could regain my trust in another 10-20 years. Those duds were a huge aggravation.

*That's another beef. WTH up with 223 primers firing in a Glock? They're supposed to be harder so they don't slam fire in an AR. The WOLF 223 primers I tried in Glocks and an FNP did NOT fire reliably... only 1 in 3 lit off. So to hear that Tula 223 work 100% in a Glock, I wonder what the heck they're doing over there. Do they make a bunch of primers then try to figure out what to label them as, afterward?

If you enjoyed reading about "Tula Primers...any good?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!