Need help identifying age of .45 slide

PDA

BlackJackJoe
December 9, 2012, 12:27 AM
I've purchased a .45 slide and I can't figure out the age of it. I'm thinking it might be pre-WWII but could be wrong. I'm attaching pictures of both sides of the slide and hope someone can help. It's blued and it says "Calibre" instead of "Caliber" which made me think it was made outside the USA but the other side says it was in the USA. Thanks for your help solving this!

If you enjoyed reading about "Need help identifying age of .45 slide" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
9mmepiphany
December 9, 2012, 01:40 AM
I can't help much on the age, but I'll point out that calibre is the correct spelling of the word as it isn't English in origin, but rather French or Arabic.

I've owned several American pistols marked as such

Old Fuff
December 9, 2012, 11:44 AM
Drop the firing pin stop/plate and see if you find a number on the slide in the recess. That would be the serial number of the pistol it was fitted to. Also the style of the rear sight may give a clue.

rcmodel
December 9, 2012, 01:09 PM
Your photos are too small for me to read.

You might go here and be able to I.D. it from the photos of various Colt commercial guns.

http://www.coltautos.com/1911gmci.htm

rc

BlackJackJoe
December 9, 2012, 03:15 PM
Sorry, I'm new to posting photos. But your link helped! Thanks
My slide looks like a ca. 1927 commercial issue: http://www.coltautos.com/1911a1gm_C151801.htm
Someone replaced the original front blade with a partridge-type, but at least it was nicely done. Now I just need a decent frame and about 40 other parts. 8-)
Thanks everyone!

BlackJackJoe
December 9, 2012, 03:17 PM
Yes, there is a number under the firing pin plate, but the rear sight was removed by someone.

If you enjoyed reading about "Need help identifying age of .45 slide" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!