VEPR sites on barrel or frame - which is better?

PDA

leadcounsel
December 9, 2012, 04:00 AM
So, the VEPRs have the option of sites on the barrel or the frame. What are your thoughts of the advantages or disadvantages of either.

Longer site radius comes to mind, but that's it...

Anything else?

If you enjoyed reading about "VEPR sites on barrel or frame - which is better?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
gazpacho
December 9, 2012, 04:10 AM
If the rifle is going to have optics most of the time, then the compact iron sights are just fine. If you will be shooting with irons, then the barrel mounted sight is mandatory. Outside of that it is just cosmetics.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Girodin
December 9, 2012, 04:34 AM
There is actually more going on there than mere cosmetics.

An advantage of having the type II style sights, the integrated sights in the gas block, is that the weight is moved back/reduced. A lot of people pay a fair amount of money to add something like a bolt on gas block. It is a relatively small amount of weight, but it is also right at the end of the muzzle.

For me the one thing that would really make me hesitate on the type II sights is that those guns have a different rear sight block and use a different gas tube. This makes me worry that I couldn't use an ulitmak gas tube or possibly other handguards I might want to use (like say the MI w/ optic specific upper).

If you enjoyed reading about "VEPR sites on barrel or frame - which is better?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!