Can You All school me!

PDA

Trung Si
December 9, 2012, 08:48 PM
I bought a Model 1860 at Cabelas Today, It came with a Starter Kit, I know absolutely NOTHING about Black Powder shooting,:o can you all tell me what the Best Powder is to use and how much, also tell me what the Items are in the Kit pictured Below?
Thanks in advance!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v464/firingline/Trung%20Si/PICT0002-31.jpg

If you enjoyed reading about "Can You All school me!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
72coupe
December 9, 2012, 08:58 PM
Looks like you need some caps of the correct size and some propellant of some variety. Either 3F blackpowder or Pyrodex P or 777 in 3F granulation.

Also you will need some sort of volumetric meter to measure your powder charges with.

4v50 Gary
December 9, 2012, 09:01 PM
The long brass thing is a capper. You put percussion caps on it and use it to place percussion on the gun's nipples (irrelevant if you have a flintlock).

The large dark object is a powder flask. You use that to carry your blackpowder. It is used to fill the powder measure.

The powder measure is that cylindrical object. You fill it partially with powder and use it to pour the powder down the barrel (if rifle or single shot pistol) or into the cylinder of a revolver.

The "T" shaped object is a nipple wrench. You use it to remove the nipple from the gun or to install a nipple.

Those felt pads are wads. You place that over the powder and before you put in the lead balls.

Go to the sticky thread, Black Powder Essentials. It will have threads that will teach you how to use your gun.

Pancho
December 10, 2012, 02:14 AM
4v50 has gotten you started now go Youtube and search for clips done by Duelist1954 he has a lot to show you, also open the sticky at the top of the forum there is a wealth of information there too.
Welcome to the wonderful world of muzzleloading.

arcticap
December 10, 2012, 11:15 AM
Here's one of Duelist1954's videos that shows how to load the Pietta 1860 Army.

Pietta 1860 Army Revolver.mov

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=trPQSvYwjjs

Here's another video that shows how to load it:

How to load a 1860 colt black powder revolver Pietta

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1c1DwPzorX0

There's a lot more Youtube videos, some that show how to take them apart etc...
Just search for Pietta 1860, or any of the other Colt black powder .44 revolver models like the Colt 1851, Dragoon or Walker.

Rom828
December 10, 2012, 12:02 PM
Before you shoot it, have a good plan to clean it when you're done. Take out the wedge and get all the assembly goo off of the gun. I'd pick up a tube of non-petroleum "bore butter" and use it like you would gun oil on a regular firearm. When you're done shooting use hot water to clean up the barrel and cylinder. I like to dry the parts in the kitchen stove at about 180 degrees for about 15 minutes. When the parts are clean and still hot, the bore butter melts nicely into the steel of the gun. Someday have a plan to completely take apart and clean the trigger/hammer/springs inside the gun, this doesn't need to be done every time you shoot it on the Colt type guns. Take care of it and it will last a long time. These things are for people who like to tinker. Have fun!

robhof
December 10, 2012, 11:42 PM
If you don't already have it; get a set of good hollow ground screw drivers, or a gunsmith set. You will be taking apart your b/p pistol more often to clean than modern pistols and a bad fitting driver will ruin screw heads. Be warned that B/p is addictive and very few of us have just one gun for very long!!:evil:

If you enjoyed reading about "Can You All school me!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!