Glasses for a CZ 550 6.5x55

PDA

ExAgoradzo
December 10, 2012, 01:03 PM
I finally am able to get it! A CZ 550 in 6.5x55: been scheming for this gun for quite a time now.

What glasses should I put on top? I was just looking at the
Leupold VX-2 3-9x50mm Rifle Scope for $379. That's about as high as I am going to be able to go: even that will get my wife looking at me crosswise.

I can't use this to hunt until I get some copper bullets loaded for it, and frankly this is a 'I just squeaked by' with the money so it certainly won't be this year. So I'd like to get some ammo I can take to the range north of here and see how far it will reach out.

Man I'm so excited: I just hope I don't run out of money before I run out of fun.

Any advice on this subject will be more than appreciated!!!

Greg

If you enjoyed reading about "Glasses for a CZ 550 6.5x55" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
viking499
December 10, 2012, 01:10 PM
Mine wears a Nikon Buckmaster 6-18x40.

Gtscotty
December 10, 2012, 01:18 PM
I know alot of folks think pretty highly of the Zeiss Conquest for the price. I don't have one, but it's next on my list.

http://swfa.com/Zeiss-3-9x40-Conquest-Rifle-Scope-P608.aspx

RPRNY
December 10, 2012, 01:33 PM
CONGRATULATIONS! Awesome rifle.

Digression: The 550 has a 1:9 twist so keep in mind that with copper bullets you will likely need to go lower weight to get them stabilized. With the Barnes TSX for example, I think you will max out at 120grs.

CraigC
December 10, 2012, 01:33 PM
I would forget about a 50mm objective. They are too difficult to mount low enough for proper cheek weld and you are usually better off spending money on a better 40mm objective than size alone. Personally, I'd rather have a VX3 1.5-5x, 1.75-6x or a 2.5-8x at most.

stan rose
December 10, 2012, 01:35 PM
If money is a concern you can't go wrong with the American produced Redfields. My friend and I all have at least one each and they are extremely good not just for the price. There are much higher quality scopes out there with cutting edge technology, but these scopes are great for typical hunters and shooters. Then you could put the saved money towards reloading components.

Ky Larry
December 10, 2012, 05:48 PM
Like viking499, mine wears a 6-18X40 Nikon BuckMaster. Plenty of scope for this rifle/round.

stubbicatt
December 10, 2012, 05:48 PM
Hm. I would have said to replace the wife, but we all know that will cost more than a scope. ;)

I have been well pleased with Nikon. 4.5 -14x I think it is. Great clear lenses, the rest of the scope is "OK."

Personally I would sell some other stuff to get an IOR, which is my favorite optic manufacturer/importer these days.

ExAgoradzo
December 10, 2012, 05:50 PM
CraigC Thanks for the tip on the 50mm.
StanRose, thanks the tip on the Redfields. I had heard recently that Leupold is making them.

RPRNY Thanks also on the tip the copper bullets. I'm going to research this, because when I do finally get my reloading equip I am going to want to do some development that will get me out there. I plan on this being a 20-25 year deal where I keep getting better at putting them down range a long way. Anyway: I'll research what's what.

I am so excited: now I've got to wait what will seem like a month before I get it because of CA laws!

Greg

ExAgoradzo
December 10, 2012, 05:51 PM
I'll check out the Nikons...
I'll also look up IOR...
Keeping the wife ;)...
Greg

If you enjoyed reading about "Glasses for a CZ 550 6.5x55" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!