Convert Savage 7 mag to 25-06 or 270

PDA

razorback2003
December 10, 2012, 01:30 PM
How hard is it to convert a mid 90's pre accutrigger plain wood Savage 110 7 mag to a 25-06 or 270 with hopefully a factory 24 inch barrel? The gun now has a 24 inch barrel and I think that is the best length especially for a 25-06. Does this just involve swapping the barrel and the bolt head? The gun has a blind magazine. Would I also have to switch the internal magazine out to fit 30-06 based cartridges or will the 7 mag/300 win mag internal mag work?

I'm just trying to figure out how expensive this process is and if it is worth it for a basic 110 Savage.

If you enjoyed reading about "Convert Savage 7 mag to 25-06 or 270" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
rcmodel
December 10, 2012, 01:51 PM
Yes to all of the above.

Bolt head, barrel, magazine box, and follower & spring.

There are three magazine box lengths

Short action, Standard, and Magnum.

Bolt head is about $30, box about $9, follower & spring about $8, and barrel whatever you want to pay for one depending on quality.

rc

hardluk1
December 10, 2012, 05:21 PM
Cheaper to sell your and buy another or reberrel 7mm rm and learn to handload if softer shooting loads are wanted. Even a loads with a 120gr nbt are easy shooters and heck on deer at long range.

RPRNY
December 10, 2012, 05:29 PM
It's a bit like our old broom. Handed down from my great grandfather. Only changed the handle once and the head twice...

or:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=319184958

razorback2003
December 10, 2012, 06:46 PM
Hardluk,

Are you having pretty good like with the Barnes 120 grain loads? I have a press, just don't have 7 mag dies. I have shot the managed recoil 7 mag loads from Remington and they are pretty pleasant to shoot on a bench.

I would like to put a Basix or Timney trigger on this rifle, a good Deccelerator or Limbsaver recoil pad, and a good Nikon scope. It has a Bushnell Scopechief that is not that great of a scope. The stock is plain wood but it is ok for hunting.

This is one accurate rifle. Even with the heavy factory trigger and the cheap Bushnell scope, it will shoot 3 shots within an inch at 100 yds with 150 grain Remington core lokt ammo.

adelbridge
December 10, 2012, 10:22 PM
I have a muzzle brake on my 7mag and it shoots like a .308 with no added noise (to me). Shouldnt be more than a couple hundred bucks but probably less to get one threaded on.

lefteyedom
December 10, 2012, 10:45 PM
I have swapped four barrels on to my 110J over the years, currently it is 7-08. My 116 is a two barrel swap rifle 300 and 338 win mags. The Model 10 is going to get a 1/9 barrel to go along with the 1/12 223 barrel it now has.

Savage bolts are very easy to convert. It is not like having to open up a Mauser or a Remington. I have converted them both ways, though picking up a second bolt is not a bad ideal if you want to swap between Magnum or standard cartridge regularly.

It is a ten minute job if you have quick release scope rings, a Savage nut wrench, barrel vise, and the go, no-go gauges,

If you enjoyed reading about "Convert Savage 7 mag to 25-06 or 270" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!