Rem 700 VTR

PDA

haywoodhunter
December 10, 2012, 01:52 PM
My friend tells me that the Remington VTR comes with an accuracy guarantee. However, I have searched online and can't find any mention of one. I am just wondering if they actually do have one or not, and if so what is it?

If you enjoyed reading about "Rem 700 VTR" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
ricebasher302
December 10, 2012, 09:12 PM
I doubt it. I had one in .223. It was a real lemon. 6-inch groups with any ammo I could throw at it. Floated the barrel, same thing. Loosened, tightened the stock screws, nothing. Changed scopes, nothing. Put a pillar bedded stock on it, instant success! Rifle shot well after that, but I was mad by then and sold it. Remington's cheap plastic stocks are so hit and miss that I can't imagine they could offer a guarantee.

haywoodhunter
December 10, 2012, 09:51 PM
Yeah, like i said i can't find anything about it online, but i figured that somebody here might.

barnbwt
December 10, 2012, 09:58 PM
If the VTR is the triangular profile barrel that I'm thinking of, I remember looking into them when I was looking for my first rifle (landed on a SPS). On some site a guy did an FEM analysis and the conclusion was that there should be no strength/rigidity difference over a sporter profile barrel (makes sense, Remington does employ engineers to run numbers.)

The main question unsettled was whether the barrel would heat up and drift the same as a round-profile. I never heard a definitive answer one way or the other as to whether or not the VTR barrel was inferior (which means it isn't), but the SPS was much cheaper so the question was moot.

I wouldn't make a bench-gun for a medallist out of one, but that's mainly because it's a light profile barrel, not because of the shape. I personally think they look cool, go for it!:D

A Google search found this (which jogs with my vague memories of the SPS warranty):
What the Remington advertising claim is saying is:
1) "Remington Performance Right out of the Box" or
2) "Ready to Hunt" Right out of the Box
3) Accuracy Right out of the box.
They don't really offer a quantitative number to measure.

Which means the VTR is no more guaranteed than their fancy Sendero long-barrel that costs twice as much :D. R700's (of all stripes, I believe) are known to be at least 1MOA unless something's wrong with them (or much more likely, the stock, as mentioned). FWIW, my SPS shoots just under 1MOA, but I'm afraid to breath on that stock wrong for fear it will flex into the barrel. My first task when I bought the gun (2 years ago:rolleyes:) was to make a replacement stock (almost there, now :D).

TCB

ricebasher302
December 12, 2012, 10:15 PM
FWIW, my SPS shoots just under 1MOA, but I'm afraid to breath on that stock wrong for fear it will flex into the barrel

My buddy's SPS in .22-250 shot like crazy. Then he took the stock off. Big mistake. Was never the same. You're on the right track with a stock replacement.

To the OP: Another item worth mentioning is the slotted muzzle. As you may have heard, VTRs are loud. It's no lie. If you've never shot a rifle with a muzzle brake, you'll need to understand the noise the VTR will create.

If you enjoyed reading about "Rem 700 VTR" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!