new dillon 550 /silly question

PDA

remmag
December 10, 2012, 06:54 PM
hey guys
i just got my new dillon 550 set up and have ran some rounds through it, it is a great press ;)

one thing i cant figure out

when done , is there any easy way to empty the powder measure

thanks

If you enjoyed reading about "new dillon 550 /silly question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Kevin Rohrer
December 10, 2012, 07:18 PM
You must either remove it to empty the reservoir (removing the 2-hex bolts and the safety rod), or purchase an after-market thingie that allows it to be emptied in-place. I 'think' UniqueTek sells the thingie.

Sam1911
December 10, 2012, 07:21 PM
As Kevin said, you have to loosen the two allen-head bolts and dump the whole powder hopper, then I usually run the charging bar back and forth a couple of times to make sure there's no powder left in there. That's if I want to switch powders.

If I'm not switching powders, it just stays full most of the time.

2bfree
December 10, 2012, 08:07 PM
Just remove the 2 pins holding the tool head on, the safety bar, remove it and dump the powder then put it back on to run a few times to empty the bar.

Bud0505
December 10, 2012, 08:25 PM
Just remove the 2 pins holding the tool head on, the safety bar, remove it and dump the powder then put it back on to run a few times to empty the bar.
+1 to what 2bfree said.

remmag
December 10, 2012, 08:47 PM
thanks alot for the responses

mtrmn
December 11, 2012, 01:53 PM

THIS^^^^^
No need to remove screws. After I dump it back into my powder container I do it again. My measure has a built in baffle that catches some powder when you turn it upside down. Then I hold it over my container and operate the bar by hand a couple times to make sure it's all gone.
I do know if you leave TAC in the measure for about a week it will stain the tube as well.

wv109323
December 11, 2012, 04:03 PM
Make sure the powder measure is completely empty after each use. Dump and work the slide several times. On another forum a guy blew up his rifle. The cause was he never completely emptied his powder measure and his first rifle load contained several grains of a quicker pistol that he had left in the powder measure from a previous session. Make sure all the powder is emptied for safety reasons.

Otto
December 11, 2012, 05:37 PM
I use a match.

mtrmn
December 11, 2012, 06:58 PM
Otto: "I use a match."
:eek::evil:

Magnum Shooter
December 12, 2012, 10:48 AM
I use a match.
lol. :what:
I bet that is the quickest way to empty any powder measure.

Ditchtiger
December 12, 2012, 11:23 AM
Duh, I wasn't thinking.
Used a Square Deal B for years and had to loosen the screw to empty powder.
When I got a 550 I did it the same way out of habit and not thinking.

2bfree, thanks for the update.

Hondo 60
December 12, 2012, 02:51 PM
Yes, you can remove the 2 pins, but then the PM is still attached to that toolhead.
I only have 1 PM so I remove the screws.
That way I can also put the power funnel back in it's proper place too.

2bfree
December 12, 2012, 05:34 PM
Now don't ask an easy way to change the primer size when you still have the pimer tube filled with the primer size you will no longer be needing. Have not figured that out yet. :(

remmag
December 12, 2012, 08:11 PM
thanks for all the tips

i tell you guys, i love this press

If you enjoyed reading about "new dillon 550 /silly question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!