SMK HP for varmint hunting

PDA

glockky
December 10, 2012, 09:00 PM
I have read that SMK HP work good for coyote and bobcat hunting. They expand enough to kill but dont make the big pelt ruining holes. Anyone used them for this purpose?

If you enjoyed reading about "SMK HP for varmint hunting" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
longdayjake
December 10, 2012, 09:14 PM
They will work fine. My philosophy is if you hit where you are supposed to, the bullet design isn't as important. SMK helps you hit where you are supposed to.

glockky
December 11, 2012, 09:01 AM
I will be shooting these out of a 223.

MtnCreek
December 11, 2012, 09:06 AM
They're thin skinned and exit hole will vary greatly depending on (something...) what it hits or how it hits or velocity...

glockky
December 12, 2012, 12:16 AM
I just want to make sure they will still make a quick kill. I dont want to be chasing them a long ways after a hit.

thump_rrr
December 12, 2012, 01:53 AM
Sierra doesn't recommend Matchkings for hunting or varminting.
Whatever you do please ensure that the animal doesn't suffer needlessly.
From what I have seen game kings or A-Max work better.

NeuseRvrRat
December 12, 2012, 08:09 AM
they may not recommend it, but i know a matchking will put a hurtin' on a groundhog

glockky
December 12, 2012, 08:37 PM
See thats what I have heard. I was thinking i read an article years ago about a guy who said they worked great for killing coyotes without destroying pelts. But I cant find the article so I cant confirm that. I was hoping someone else used them.

cfullgraf
December 13, 2012, 07:54 AM
The Mk262 round developed for the Squad Designated Rifleman uses a .224 caliber 77 grain open tip match bullet.

Since military rounds are not meant to have expanding projectiles per convention, at least our military and their legal counsel feel the OTM bullets meet the requirements of the convention.

The lighter 52/53 grain match bullets driven at higher velocities may expand but they are not specially designed to do so. Of course, a non-expanding bullet may be what the hunter wants. The match bullets are more accurate than open base FMJs.

If you enjoyed reading about "SMK HP for varmint hunting" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!