Did Ruger quit making the Red Label?

PDA

MCgunner
December 10, 2012, 09:32 PM
Can't find shotguns link on their site.

If you enjoyed reading about "Did Ruger quit making the Red Label?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
DaleCooper51
December 10, 2012, 10:13 PM
I believe it was last year when they quit making them.

From what I remember, sales had fallen off and they had considerable QC issues with them.

MCgunner
December 10, 2012, 10:20 PM
Hmm, oh, well, guess I won't be lookin' at Red Labels, then. :D Probably hard to compete with all the fureners in the market in that price range. I really like the Franchi Instinct, but will have to save some money. :D That gun fit me WELL, though, and I liked the balance, the light weight (was in 20 gauge), and feel of it. Cool little shotgun. But, I'm still looking around at other O/Us at this time.

oneounceload
December 11, 2012, 08:07 AM
It was hard to compete with anyone when the guns consistently had quality issues, the same reason their Gold Label SxS stopped as well.

For the price of a RL, you can find Browning, Beretta and SKB- ALL of which, quality-wise, are heads and tails above Ruger

single stack
December 11, 2012, 08:12 AM
Unfortunately the Ruger Red Labels had a poor reputation.

I had a 12ga. and it was good until the forearm latch
let go and the gun disassembled on me at station 5.
Ruger fixed it for free.

Most RRL's are serviceable hunters, just not up to target gun use.

After I got my first target gun and was pleased with the lower recoil,
I sold the RRL.

I friend of mine has a RRL 28ga., it is a model I'd like to have.

I love my Ruger rifle and pistol.

PJR
December 11, 2012, 09:36 AM
The Red Label earned its poor reputation. Frequent parts breakage, lousy triggers and poor handling were just some of the sins. Its delisting is no loss. Like many Ruger products it was an interesting concept that was poorly executed.

Major American gun makers have never seemed able to domestically produce a successful o/u shotgun.

Axel Larson
December 11, 2012, 10:00 AM
There is one used at a local gun shop near me and the thing feels like a 2x4 compared to a used citori. which is in the same price range.

BigJimP
December 11, 2012, 11:33 AM
Last I knew, I believe Ruger was making the Red Labels in Turkey anyway...

but like others said - they were poorly made....lots of issues / but I wouldn't put the Franchi that high up on the quality list either. Its fair to say that Franchi has mixed reviews as well.

In my opinion, Browning and Beretta continue to give you the most gun for the money ....save your money until you can get into that arena at some level - and you won't be dissapointed. I have Browning Citori's ( XS Skeet models with well over 500,000 shells thru them with no issues over the last 15 yrs or so - and not a single issue on any of my primary guns ). Look for a good used Citori XS Skeet model, with the adjustable comb - but new or used they are one of the better guns on the market for the money (they list new for around $3600 now - but a buddy just bought one new in my area for about $3,150 )....its a good all around gun for Skeet, Sporting clays or for upland birds. I like it with 30" barrels. / its not much of a serious Trap gun ....I turn to the Browning XT Trap with 32" barrels for Trap ....but you could shoot Trap casually with the XS Skeet model as well with no issues.

oneounceload
December 11, 2012, 12:50 PM
Major American gun makers have never seemed able to domestically produce a successful o/u shotgun

Remington did - the K-32 eventually became the Kreighoff K-80

Kolar makes an exceptional O/U, as does CSMC - but you won't get one for Mossberg prices. Kolars start about $12K, and some of the CSMC guns start about $8 and go over $100K

PJR
December 11, 2012, 04:13 PM
Remington did - the K-32 eventually became the Kreighoff K-80

Kolar makes an exceptional O/U, as does CSMC - but you won't get one for Mossberg prices. Kolars start about $12K, and some of the CSMC guns start about $8 and go over $100K
With only 5-6 thousand Model 32s made Remington didn't give the gun a chance to be their success. Krieghoff picked up the rights to the gun after Remington decided to discontinue it and its success came under German manufacture.

CSMC and Kolar and make good guns but they are small boutique gunmakers with low production numbers, no real distribution system, no international presence and a very limited market unlike Beretta, Browning, Perazzi and Krieghoff.

oneounceload
December 11, 2012, 04:49 PM
Actually, Hal DuPont picked up the rights and licensed or sold them to Kreighoff

Sniper66
December 11, 2012, 05:20 PM
Had Red Label 12 ga and had to send it in to Ruger. They repaired it and returned what looked like a new gun which worked great until I sold it. I notice the Red Label 20s at guns shows, but rarely see the 12. So, if you are really attracted to the 20s you might try gun shows.

oneounceload
December 11, 2012, 08:26 PM
I had the 28 gauge - was going to be my go-to chukar and quail gun. Went back to Ruger three times, everything internal was replaced, problems still persisted - gun went bye-bye; never again - you couldn't GIVE me one

bikemutt
December 11, 2012, 09:06 PM
I really like the Franchi Instinct

I bought a Franchi 48AL, worst, overpriced piece of junk shotgun I ever owned. I wouldn't even consider a Franchi now at any price. I know of at least two dealers who won't carry the line any longer, too many unhappy customers.

MCgunner
December 11, 2012, 09:34 PM
Interesting.

benatilstate
December 11, 2012, 09:45 PM
I have a 20ga RRL. No problems to date, but Im no hardcore target shooter. Its probably seen ~5000 rounds at targets and less than a box at birds.

musicman10_1
December 11, 2012, 10:45 PM
This thread is disappointing for me to read. I have been planning to get a Ruger Red Label 12 gauge in the near future. i see a lot of them listed locally and have seen several in local shops (a few are new old stock even but have a high price). I generally like all things Ruger and just thought that this would be a nice addition to my safe.

I do very little hunting but have recently started shooting sporting clays for something different than my normal rifle / pistol routine. I hate to read opinions that the RRL is not likely to hold up to much target use. I also wonder how many parts Ruger has on hand to keep these guns running. Since production stopped I would guess that repairs are available only insofar as parts are available to make the fix.

Bummer.

bikemutt
December 11, 2012, 11:05 PM
One of my bird hunting buddies hunts with 12 ga RRL. He and I traded guns once for fun. He thought my Citori was terrible, I felt the same about his RRL.

The Ruger Red Label felt like a hammer in a drawer full of forks; it's heavy, clunky and chunky.

But, in the end, he out shoots me two to one, in the field and at trap. So there you go, to each his own.

RUT
December 12, 2012, 09:14 AM
>>Most RRL's are serviceable hunters, just not up to target gun use.<<

Exactly! They just never made it in the clay shooting arena.

rbernie
December 12, 2012, 09:21 AM
I bought a Franchi 48AL, worst, overpriced piece of junk shotgun I ever owned. I wouldn't even consider a Franchi now at any price. I know of at least two dealers who won't carry the line any longer, too many unhappy customers.Not to high jack a thread, but this comment seems atypical - I've got a handful of 48ALs that I shoot heavily and often with no issue or complaint. Most are not new production, mind you, but they have served me well and are my go-to field/sporting shotgun.

oneounceload
December 12, 2012, 02:57 PM
I do very little hunting but have recently started shooting sporting clays for something different than my normal rifle

Then you will appreciate the weight and durability of a Browning - IF it fits. If not, look at the Beretta and SKB and get the one that fits you the best. Target versions cost more than field versions, generally because they are heavier, have longer barrels and a different stock more conducive to target shooting (although not always)

Sniper66
December 12, 2012, 04:46 PM
Actually, once my RRL was returned from Ruger, it was terrific. It would have held up to clay target shooting, but not sure I would...it is way too heavy. If you want to shoot an O/U at clay targets, there are lots of lighter alternatives. If you want to try a semi-auto at clays like I do, my Benelli 12 and 20 are terrific. Have shot both for years without a single problem and they both look great too after a few thousand rounds. They are as close to flawless as a shotgun can get. I have Browning Superposed that is near perfect too. Alas, the RRL is not.

Supertac45
December 12, 2012, 05:54 PM
My RRL in 20 Gauge with 26 inch tubes, English stocked is fantastic. I can have pretty much any gun I want, but I'm happy with this.

BigJimP
December 12, 2012, 06:38 PM
Weight and length for an all around gun is very subjective ...for each shooter....

Personally - for Skeet, Sporting Clays and upland Birds....I like an O/U with
30" barrels and at a weight of around 8.5 lbs...( but I'm a little bigger than the average small Buffalo -at 6'5" and 290 lbs ) ....and one of my buddies favors a shorter O/U with 26" or 28" barrels and around 7.5 lbs...

but there are a couple of factors here...

a. for every pound in weight you add to a gun ...for any given shell..it reduces the recoil about 20% ...and that's a lot...
b. but you have to offset the weight / with having to carry it all day....

I will sometimes opt for a lighter gun / if I know we'll be walking in difficult terrain all day ...vs more open, over good dogs...so I may go to a gun like a Benelli Super Sport ...in a 12ga, with a 30" barrel and only 7.2 lbs...so its easier to carry ..and with the 30" barrel on a semi-auto the overall length of the gun, is about 2" longer than my O/U's in 30" barrels...so the longer barrel and longer overall length in the light semi-auto ...helps me keep my swing smooth on follow thru...

If I shoot a lighter gun ....I tend to "slap" at targets vs make a nice smooth swing...and a heavier gun helps with that....( and that's why for Trap ...I go to an even longer and heavier gun ...Browning Citori XT Trap, 32" barrels and a weight of about 10 lbs....because there is less left to right barrel movement on Trap ...than on Skeet or Sporting Clays )...and I'd sure never drag that 32" 10 lb gun out to the field for live birds...it'd be like dragging a big old anchor around all day ....:D

But the point is...what is right for me...may not be right for you .....

My all around O/U ....is a Brownig Citori XS Skeet model, 30" barrels..with the adj comb - right out of the box its about 8.5 lbs ...nice parallel comb ...so I have the same point of impact whether I shoot in a heavy coat or in a T shirt. I have that model in a 12ga - and a 20ga, a 28ga and a .410 ....but the 28ga and .410 are built on the 20ga receiver ...and its lighter, at about 7.5 lbs out of the box...so I add 8 oz of lead tape inside the forend ..and 8oz inside the stock ( the hole for the stock bolt )...and making sure I keep the balance the same, I weigh down all 4 of my guns to the 8.5 lbs that I like ....

but I shoot all 4 guns ...for Skeet, Sporting and for live birds...I especially like the 28ga ...(and I reload so its cheap to shoot ).

oneounceload
December 12, 2012, 07:03 PM
Sniper, you have it all backwards
When shooting a lot of targets you WANT that heavy gun for recoil absorption. That is why trap guns and similar run 8-10 pounds

Tom Held
December 12, 2012, 10:26 PM
I must be the only one on this thread that has never had a problem with Ruger Red Label shotguns. A few years ago I bought a 20 and 28 gauge, both with English stocks and 30" barrels. They have been to Argentina 4 times shooting thousands of dove in Cordoba, as many as 1,000 in a day. The 28 gauge is a great handling gun and it came with a set of full length 410 briley tubes.

Guess I've just been lucky. I've had no experience with the 12 gauge.

Hamish
December 12, 2012, 11:53 PM
I have a RRL 12 gauge shotgun with 30" barrels, and I've never had a problem with it. I've only put a thousand rounds or so through it (it's barely broken in according to some) but I find it to be a reliable and accurate shotgun that I enjoy shooting.

I use it primarily for skeet, and shoot some trap with it as well. It is a fun gun, the weight and recoil are very manageable, and I intend to keep on shooting it. No complaints!

DM~
December 13, 2012, 09:28 AM
I've had 3 of them, never could get use to them handleing like a club, i just hated the bbl selector too! SO, they never were around long enough, to test their durability.

Sure a LOT of folks that had problems with them though, i would not buy another, unless i bought it cheap to trade off!

Folks buy Rugers just because they say "Ruger" on the side, but ruger has build some junk, and many of their products just aren't all that great UNTIL you throw some money at them!

DM

oneounceload
December 13, 2012, 09:55 AM
and many of their products just aren't all that great UNTIL you throw some money at them!

The 10/22 comes to mind there, and I still own one

Darter
December 13, 2012, 10:13 AM
The Red Lable is a good gun. Like any new production gun it had teething problems. Sad that they were not given more of a chance. If you look close at it it is designed similar to a Perazzi though not as robust. It has barrel trunions and locking lugs at midframe. It's profile is low to aid with recoil. It was given decent wood from the start. The barrels could have been lighter aiding in ballance issues. With just a few design tweaks it could have given Baretta and Perazzi the blues. It will now be a holy grail to those that own them.

The Remington 32 handeled better than the Kreghoff 32. The Kreghoff was made as a target gun and like the Perazzi it is heavier than a hunting profile gun to handle heavy use. It is a prime example of what can be accomplished when a good company gets hold of a good design and does right by it. Remington tried to revive the M32 with the M3200. It was somewhat of a flop. It had a shorter frame and was heavy. It was a decent target gun though.

The Browning is a decent design although it is a bad one in my opinion. Yes I have owned more than a few. It has a high frame and the barrels are hinged low. The breech gapes somewhat upon firing. It is carefully made and it overcomes it's faults well. Millions are in use.

In the end you pretty much get what you pay for. The Ruger started out as a decent field gun for the price of $550. Kreghoff's and Perazzi's have never been that cheap and never will. A K80 will set you back more than a hole covey of Rugers.

For what it's worth I have owned all of the above mentioned guns. My son now owns the Ruger Red Lable 20ga. It has a set of Purbaugh skeet tubes and the trigger was tuned by the late Cecil Weems. It is a good gun. I have and like a Browning Citori superlight 20 ga.with 28"barrels and choke tubes. The Kreghoff was a good skeet gun as was the Baretta 680 and the Rem.3200 but for me the Perazzi is better.

If an enterprising person like Hal Dupont ends up with the rights to produce the Ruger you will see a fine specimen but you will pay dearly for it.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

drsfmd
December 13, 2012, 02:26 PM
Last I knew, I believe Ruger was making the Red Labels in Turkey anyway...

Whatever source you "knew" that from was incorrect. Made in the Ruger factory, just like all their other guns.

BigJimP
December 13, 2012, 02:40 PM
Ok, sorry ....:D

MCgunner
December 13, 2012, 10:16 PM
I love my Rugers, just never had a Red Label to have any experience with it.

Current Rugers...

10/22
SR22 Pistol
Mark 2 Pistol
KP90DC
P85
4 5/8" .45 Colt stainless Blackhawk
6.5" blued .357 Blackhawk
Ruger Old Army

I have owned in the past, no longer have....

Security Six 4" stainless
2.25" stainless SP101 in .357
p95

It's a shame if the shotguns weren't that good. Ruger generally builds a first rate firearm. Folks dis the little 10/22 and it's not my most accurate .22 rifle, but it's flawless in function, accurate enough, and danged fun.

kscharlie
December 13, 2012, 11:12 PM
I bought my 12 ga. Red Label new in 1988. It came with a full set of choke tubes, including two skeet tubes. Over the years, I have shot several thousand targets with this gun on the skeet field and at sporting clays. This gun has also been used to take a pretty good number of quail, pheasants and prairie chickens. I have never had one single problem with this shotgun, and I have no regrets buying it. Not that it matters, but I seldom shoot a round of skeet with a score lower than 24/25, and my sporting clays scores are normally above 80%.

drsfmd
December 14, 2012, 10:05 AM
The Red Lable is a good gun. Like any new production gun it had teething problems. Sad that they were not given more of a chance.

It was in production for nearly 35 years. How much longer do they need to work out the bugs? :what::what:

4v50 Gary
December 14, 2012, 10:32 AM
Ruger Red Labels were made in New Hampshire. I saw the caged in assembly area.

VAPOPO
December 15, 2012, 01:59 AM
I have owned O/U's from Browning, SKB, Beretta and Winchester. I swapped my Beretta 686 Onyx spporting with a friend that owned a Ruger Red Label for a round of trap. After the round I had a blood blister on my left hand from the barrels flopping open and pinching my forfinger in the action a bruise on my cheek from the comb and a score of 13, my average was 24. He reluctantly handed back the Beretta after running his first 25 straight ever with the gun. Every Red label I have ever handled had this barrel flop issue on opening a sign of poor craftsmanship as bad as the Russian Bakials that you have to break open over your knee. Currently I have a Winchester Supreme that I have been shooting for the last 10 years it is without a doubt the finest fitting shotgun I have ever owned and even though I gave up registered trap a decade ago I still put well over 1000 rounds a year through it and it is still much tighter than that Ruger was brand new.

Red Label
December 15, 2012, 06:18 PM
Had mine for 10 years now. Still love it. Still fits me and I still hit more targets with it than any other gun I own. One ounce and I have had words before but I still stick to my gun! My Red Label rocks and I still shoot sporting clays with it. It went back to the factory once for ejector trouble but hasn't caused me grief since. I think its a shame they are gone:confused:

kudu
December 16, 2012, 03:02 PM
When I started skeet shooting in competition, I had bought a Red Label. It was one of the first with choke tubes, about 1989-90, had a set of economy Kolar tubes installed for all gauges and went about registered skeet. At about 15,000 targets, started having malfunctions, this was into my second year of shooting. Sent it to Ruger, they fixed it for free and I had it back in about 2 weeks. Add about another 10,000 targets and started malfunctioning again, but of a different nature. Sent to Ruger, they fixed it again. Was out about 3 weeks. I had to borrow guns on both occasions. I was able to sell the gun to another person who just shot casual and he was fine with it.

I bought a Beretta 682 Supersport with all the goodies, Kolar AAA's and carrier barrel. My Beretta has at least 50,000 rounds through it without a single problem, still tight in the hinges. I did like my Ruger, but not for heavy target shooting, I still have a nice Red Label 28 gauge for occasional targets and hunting. I am lucky to shoot 1000 birds a year anymore, but I doubt I will ever sell the Beretta.

oneounceload
December 16, 2012, 03:17 PM
Hey, Red Label,
if your gun works great for you, that is awesome. I never said ALL of them sucked, but they did have a large number with issues,and mine, a lovely 28, was one of them.
With the quality of Browning, Beretta and SKB, why takes chance on whether or not you might get a good one?

If you enjoyed reading about "Did Ruger quit making the Red Label?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!