Black Specs in FOV

PDA

.Scarecrow.
December 10, 2012, 11:57 PM
The Vortex PST 1-4x24 on my AR has a few little black specs here and there in the FOV. They're not on the outside, I cleaned the lenses very well and they are crisp. Any ideas? I'm probably going to call Vortex tomorrow about it.

If you enjoyed reading about "Black Specs in FOV" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
helotaxi
December 11, 2012, 05:47 PM
Dirt inside the optic. I had a fleck of dirt in my Razor spotting scope and sent it to them. They cleaned it, checked all the seals, repurged the body and had it back on its way to me in a day.

rcmodel
December 11, 2012, 05:55 PM
Could also be the flat black anti-reflection coating flaking off inside the scope body too.

Regardless, a trip back to the mother-ship is in order.

rc

.Scarecrow.
December 11, 2012, 08:30 PM
Called Vortex today, they'll fix it and ship it no charge to me at all. And if they can't then they'll send me a new one. I'll just let them know I want them to make sure it doesn't happen again.

.Scarecrow.
December 11, 2012, 08:35 PM
On a similar note, They are sending me a FedEx label. I don't have the components to package this properly, I have the original box, but what would all say I should do. I've never done this.

helotaxi
December 11, 2012, 09:41 PM
I shipped my spotting scope in the original box, packed into a larger overpack box and filled with peanuts.

rcmodel
December 11, 2012, 09:45 PM
Take the shipping label and the scope in the box to one of the UPS Pack & Ship stores and they will do it right for you. (for a small fee).

http://www.theupsstore.com/products-services/packaging-shipping/Pages/guarantee.aspx

rc

.Scarecrow.
December 13, 2012, 02:02 AM
Can that be done at UPS with a FedEx label?

helotaxi
December 13, 2012, 10:01 AM
Buy a box a bit bigger than the scope box. Get some bubble wrap. Wrap the scope box such that it will not move around in the larger box. Tape it shut. Apply the FedEx label and call FedEx. They will come to you if you have a label from a business account in my experience.

If you enjoyed reading about "Black Specs in FOV" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!