Need help


December 11, 2012, 10:36 AM
My computer died over the weekend and I lost all of my websites pertaining to firearms. I need help in locating all of them again. Thanks for everybody's help with this.

If you enjoyed reading about "Need help" here in archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join today for the full version!
Jorg Nysgerrig
December 11, 2012, 11:34 AM
How exactly are we supposed to know which websites you had pertaining to firearms?

This section is for technical support regarding this forum.

December 11, 2012, 11:47 AM
I have a ton of things bookmarked in many, many folders. I save my Firefox bookmarks from time to time and keep them in more than one place. That way if the computer crashes I'll still have them. It is easy to do with Firefox or IE and something you should start doing when you get up and going again.

You could get that file (Firefox), or folder (IE) from someone with the same interests as you.

December 12, 2012, 08:50 AM
I know that you don't know what sites that I visited but I was looking for other websites that people visited so I could get the addresses. This is why I put it into the general forum.

Old Fuff
December 12, 2012, 01:02 PM
Your computer may be dead (R.I.P.) but if the hard drive is O.K. it can be attached to another computer using a special cable attached to a USB port in the host computer on one end and the bare drive on the other. Thereafter data can be moved from the drive to the host and recovered.

Perhaps all is not lost.

Last but not least, it pays to make back-up's - at least of your favorites file.

December 12, 2012, 01:10 PM
Fuff where would one get this cable, what is it called? I have an old HD I'd lime to salavage data from. If possible...

Odd Job
December 12, 2012, 01:16 PM
Robert, plenty of places sell them, shouldn't cost more than $20 in the US. Here's what it looks like:

Old Fuff
December 12, 2012, 01:25 PM
Good question: Give me a little time and I'll be back. I know of three options:

The cable I previously mentioned.
An enclosure that converts the drive an external/USB
A USB connected box into which you plug the bare drive.

I believe all of these options are available from:

And probably from others.

Rail Driver
December 12, 2012, 01:48 PM
Anyone local to me with PC issues such as the above can feel free to PM me and I can help (I've been fixing PCs for pushing 17 years now).

If it's super important, but not time sensitive, I'm willing to work on out of state stuff, but shipping is on you.

As far as different firearms sites -

etc... etc... etc...

Old Fuff
December 12, 2012, 08:23 PM
See posts #5 and #8 and then follow the links below. TigerDirect is a respected supplier, but there are others.




In the present instance I would recommed the cable, but if the drive is not damaged you can easily install it in an enclosure and use it as an external drive to make and keep backups (or whatever).

If you enjoyed reading about "Need help" here in archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join today for the full version!