Changing a CZ 550 varmit

PDA

Allen in MT
December 11, 2012, 11:12 AM
What changes if any can be made to the CZ 550 Varmiter Cal. 308 to make it a more profeciant long range shooter?

If you enjoyed reading about "Changing a CZ 550 varmit" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
juk
December 11, 2012, 03:44 PM
It should be good to go. It should have a great trigger when it is "set". The only things I might could think of that would help would be to either check barrel float or pillar bed the stock. A good scope is a must for any kind of long range shooting.

stubbicatt
December 12, 2012, 08:55 AM
Been shooting mine now for 4 or 5 years or so. I find that it is just fine as it is. I have the walnut stock, and couldn't be happier.

I did purchase two of the 10 round mags from CZ USA, I think they were just under a C note apiece. I use them exclusively, I don't use the 4 rounder, as the rifle is just too heavy for any "hunting" purposes, especially if I have to carry it very far.

I set it up for the Versapod, which I really like. I have a long one for sitting and a short one for prone.

I still haven't settled on a sling for it, but have some cheesy Walmart sling which is ok for carrying, but useless otherwise. I may try to find a 1917 style sling at some point in the not so distant future.

Good luck and enjoy your new rifle.

Allen in MT
December 12, 2012, 09:23 AM
I topped it with a Vortex 4x16-44 and will probably get a custom turret after I get some shooting with it. Have to get muzzle velocity and bullet info for that.
I got a case of 168gn HPBT gold match and want to stick with that load.

Ky Larry
December 12, 2012, 07:09 PM
I have the same rifle with a Nikon BuckMaster 6-18X44 scope. The only thing I did to mine was have it bedded. I reload and have found that with my rifle, 150gr bullets shoot best out to 350 yrds. Can't see well enough to shoot much past that.

stubbicatt
December 12, 2012, 11:33 PM
Yep. Sorta by accident I bought a couple thousand 155gr Lapua Scenars, which as it has turned out is a very fortuitous mistake! Those things shoot great out to 1100 meters or thereabouts. I haven't shot past that with this rifle.

It is a great rifle by any measure, that's for sure.

CraigC
December 13, 2012, 02:03 PM
I'm not trying to be the spelling police but why is the "N" in varmint invisible to so many people??? I'm baffled by this phenomenon.

stubbicatt
December 13, 2012, 06:05 PM
Sort of like the "gh" in "thought." Or the silent "e" in coyote. Though there are some who say ki yo tee or ki yoot. I dunno.

Good thing is I knew what he meant. :)

Craigman
December 13, 2012, 08:09 PM
Can you explain why you feel it is not proficient as of right now?

You say you want to stick to the Federal load you have right now. Not every rifle likes GMM. Maybe try other ammo?

Scope looks good, The only other question is. Are you a proficient shooter?

If you enjoyed reading about "Changing a CZ 550 varmit" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!