Form letter (waiver) for range instruction

PDA

Trent
December 11, 2012, 10:43 AM
Anyone have a waiver of liability for shooting instruction they could share?

Would like one that serves these purposes;

1. Affidavit that the person isn't a prohibited person
2. Waiver of liability (death, injury, etc)
3. Indemnification (property damage, etc)

If you enjoyed reading about "Form letter (waiver) for range instruction" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
tyeo098
December 11, 2012, 11:41 AM
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=shooting+range+waiver

First like 15 links are all PDF's.

The patronizing method was for making me drool all over my computer when your post pictures of your shiny toys. ;)

Trent
December 11, 2012, 07:25 PM
Hahaha ok, I deserved that.

I didn't even think to Google the thing. I figured I'd find someone here who owns a range that already had a lawyer-reviewed form I could have (or buy).

I thought about having my lawyer draft one but he's expensive. :)

oneounceload
December 11, 2012, 07:52 PM
Most of those forms really do not do much in so far as getting folks to assign away their rights. If something goes awry, you can bet a lawyer will find a way to successfully sue

Trent
December 12, 2012, 11:54 AM
True, a person can sue someone for anything they want. However.. your chances of defending yourself in court are MUCH higher if you have a signed waiver of liability. :)

Trent
December 12, 2012, 12:01 PM
PS - the purpose of this whole "waiver" thing is I keep getting more and more people approaching me for introductory firearms instruction. I've taken a couple dozen new people to the range this year and taught them safety and marksmanship. While there hasn't been (and ideally never will be) an incident, I'd feel much better about having a waiver before we hit the lanes.

Also, I'm thinning out my collection a bit, and there's a (surprising) number of "first time buyers" that have approached me when seeing a firearm I have listed. I won't sell a firearm to someone who's never handled one before, period. In each case so far, we've hit the range and gone over safety and handling before completing the transaction.

I certainly don't HAVE to do this, but it helps me sleep a little better at night knowing that the person who just bought one of my guns has been given a solid lesson on safe handling. So far no one has objected; on the contrary, it's why more and more people are starting to get in touch with me.

(And yes, I plan on taking the NRA instructors course next spring so I can start "official" sanctioned classes.)

Frank Ettin
December 12, 2012, 12:45 PM
Waivers can be useful and can be given effect by courts. But if someone wants the most effective waiver, it's best not to try to rely on random forms from internet sources.

The key to making a waiver as effective as possible is to do a good job of researching the case law in the jurisdiction in which you'll be using the waiver.

If you enjoyed reading about "Form letter (waiver) for range instruction" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!