Mild 7mm rem mag 120/130 gr loads for deer

PDA

razorback2003
December 11, 2012, 03:42 PM
I would like to know if anyone loads somewhat mild 120 and 130 grain loads for 7mm rem mag. I have a Savage 110 with a 24 inch barrel. It is an accurate gun.

I have shot a sporting weight Rem 700 308 on the bench of a buddy's and do not have problem with 150 grain loads out of it being uncomfortable. That was a new gun with that new recoil pad remington is putting on its guns.

I have also shot Rem 7 mag managed recoil loads and they are pretty easy to shoot.

I know I should just get a 270 or something smaller but this gun was given to me as a gift by family.

If you enjoyed reading about "Mild 7mm rem mag 120/130 gr loads for deer" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
NeuseRvrRat
December 11, 2012, 03:46 PM
i don't think i've ever noticed recoil when i was hunting

jwrowland77
December 11, 2012, 04:11 PM
Nope, I've never noticed the recoil while shooting at a deer. Now the range though is a different story.

I have a load that is very accurate from my gun and easy on the shoulder.

Hornady 139 BTSP
IMR 4350 57gr.
Win case.
OAL 3.290.
CCI large rifle magnum primer.

Again this is the load I use in my gun that is safe in my gun. Use at your own risk.

gamestalker
December 11, 2012, 04:27 PM
I'm a 5'4" 125 lb. man who shoots & hunts with the 7 mag., and recoil has not been a huge factor for me. I really don't feel much difference between a .270 win with 130 gr. bullets and the 7 mag shooting such weights, especially when shooting at game. Off the bench recoil always feels much worse.

As for my common load, I have had good results with a Hornady 120 gr. #22810 V Max with 65.0 gr.s of RL22. It's been a really good all around bullet in the field.

The 130 gr. I've tried, but didn't care for it's performance on deer sized game is a Speer 130 gr. BT #1624 with 67.5 grs. RL22. Accuracy was excellent, as was velocity, but the exit hole has been really large on mule deer indicating to me that the bullet may be disinegrating on impact?

Now I'm stepped up to a 145 gr. Grand Slam #1632 using 66.0 grs. of RL22. That bullet has worked much better in terms of penetration with each kill a clean through and through with less blow out on the exit cavity.

I also like the Barns 120 gr. LRX with 70.0 grs. RL22. I noticed that pressures seemed to run a bit higher with this load though. But as you can probably tell by my loads that I usually chase velocity providing accuracy is still acceptable.

GS

rcmodel
December 11, 2012, 04:45 PM
Downloading a 7mm Magnum is dangerous if you don't do it right.

Typical Slow burning powders used in Magnums and small bores like the 7mm are especially dangerous due to the risk of SEE or Secondary Explosion Effect..

If you want to do it safely, here is how:
http://www.hodgdon.com/PDF/H4895%20Reduced%20Rifle%20Loads.pdf

rc

627PCFan
December 11, 2012, 05:10 PM
I worked up 7mm 120Vmax loads several years ago. They were the sharpest recoiling loads I can remember, and pressure seemed sporadic. Try 175's for a slower push with slow powders.-

Kachok
December 11, 2012, 05:14 PM
My 7mm Rem Mags always kicked no matter what the bullet or powder charge. A batch of 175s left me black and blue for three weeks afterward. That was an oldschool model 70 with no recoil pad, it bruised everyone that ever touched the trigger on it.

eam3clm@att.net
December 11, 2012, 08:55 PM
My vanguard seems to like any weight bullet so far. A few months back I ran some ladder test with the Hornady 139 grain btsp bullets with Reloader22 and 7828 ssc. It liked the RL22 the best, with a charge of 64.2 grains. H4831sc also worked ok but I ran out of it before I got a load that I liked. If you have several powders to choose from you might find a good accurate load at the starting charges that will be more than safe. FWIT the felt recoil form this gun is softer that my 270 win, but the win is a lighter gun. Midsouth Shooters supply had some of the discontinued hornady 154 or 152 grain round nose bullets the last time I was in there. I might be wrong but my understanding is that the were made to expand at slower velocities. Maybe for a 7x57 rifle. I will also add that the 139 grain hornady bullets did not hold together for me with true 7mm mag impact velocities. I had several bullets that the core seperated from the cup. I tried to mirror the velocity of 7mm-08 and they held together better. IIRC they were stroking at alittle over 2800 fps.
When I get a chance I plan to try a little faster powder so the velocity will be a little lower, but have near the same chamber pressure for a consistant powder burn. The load I listed is good on paper, but the chroney shows fault with the load. It has a higher velocity spread than what I would like. The charge is near max and the bullet is seated where it still gets a good run at the rifleing, but longer than the col the book calls for.

HARV6
December 11, 2012, 09:02 PM
I just loaded up some starting-moderate loads with 110 Barnes tipped tsx's after reading some good posts on their lack of recoil. They should kick a bit less than a 270win and be around 3300 fps. Haven't got to the range yet though.

If you enjoyed reading about "Mild 7mm rem mag 120/130 gr loads for deer" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!