THR Gathering threads are too hard to find

PDA

SodaPop
March 3, 2004, 07:20 PM
I started a thread Monday morning and last night I posted the latest reply, and right now, its on the second page of the General Discussion forum. The thing I really wish we had here was some kind of rally point for gatherings. If I don't BTT for the next several weeks its going to be hard for others to find the thread.

It would be nice to see the TN, PA, NJ, MD and VA gatherings on some kind of easy to find forum.

I'm asking............:)

If you enjoyed reading about "THR Gathering threads are too hard to find" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
P95Carry
March 3, 2004, 07:45 PM
You have a valid point there Soda ..... with the traffic THR generates and the posting frequency .. things rapidly get ''buried'' ... and so not seen by those who should. More often that not they get ''stumbled on''.

Only saving grace sometimes is that when the thread ''gets going'' the interplay between existing posters does help bring it to the top more often.

I doubt the admins want to add extra forums too often but this does seem one case where ''meetings'' - and NOTHING else - could very beneficially have their own ''corner''. The number of threads would be so limited they would be visible to any who checked said forum.

Mal H
March 3, 2004, 09:06 PM
I think the idea has merit. Hang on a bit. We'll see what others have to say.

SodaPop
March 3, 2004, 10:13 PM
I'll throw in a case of Snickers bars or Doritos for the first Moderator that goes along with the idea.

P95Carry
March 3, 2004, 10:21 PM
And I'll add a bag of Tostitos Scoops ... with a jar of salsa .. as hot as ya like!:p

Moparmike
March 3, 2004, 10:55 PM
The only problem with the idea is that not everyone would immedeatly visit the gathering forum, or would visit too late. While I like the idea, I dont think it would be conducive to the gatherings.

I think floating the threads would be a good idea, and therefore would require communication with a mod of that forum.

Just my $.02:)

SodaPop
March 3, 2004, 11:13 PM
I disagree.

People see present and past historys of gatherings.

It makes them check in more often.

P95Carry
March 3, 2004, 11:33 PM
I'm with Soda here Mike ... thing is ''floaters'' affect everyone .... not everyone wants to be involved.

Those who do ... can easily drop in to a dedicated forum .. even weekly would do .... and that way keep tabs on what is going on. Once ''into'' a thread then continuity is assured thru email notification.

The hard core of members who enjoy socializing and meeting at shoots would soon learn to watch I am sure.:)

Mal H
March 3, 2004, 11:51 PM
Mike - the one thing we won't be doing is floating the gatherings threads. Floated threads are for topics that could/should interest all members. The regional type of threads are too specific to a select group of members, e.g., the TX members could care less when and where the PA or VA members will meet. That's not to say members from other regions wouldn't be interested in what went on at the gatherings, I know I enjoy reading the 'after-the-party-is-over' threads of the various gatherings no matter where they were held. But I can guarantee members wouldn't want to see 15 floats on various regional events.

If a member is interested in a get-together, they will certainly visit a forum for them. If they are not interested, then it doesn't matter to them where the threads are located.

[Edit]
I think I just said practically the same thing Chris said in the above post. But, I used more words, so I win! :)

Balog
March 4, 2004, 02:30 AM
I'll throw my support in for a Get Together forum.

dustind
March 4, 2004, 02:55 AM
Mpayne brought up this idea at the first MN THR meet. I, and many others at the meet second the motion.

All of the world's meetings would easily fit in one sub-section. It would also decongest the general forum a little bit, which is a good thing, IMHO.

P95Carry
March 4, 2004, 01:39 PM
Thx Mal and ''the team'' for setting up the ''Rallying Point'' ... I think once those interested in meetings and shoots get to know of it and remember .. it will be immensely useful.

David Park
March 4, 2004, 04:57 PM
Thanks, mods. "Lock & Load" was my favorite forum on TFL. :) I don't have much time to read THR lately, and I've already found two VA threads in the new forum.

Mal H
March 8, 2004, 06:39 PM
I love it when a plan comes together!
:D

Chris and others, I'm glad this worked out. SodaPop, this was a good idea whose time had come. I had to leave on an emergency trip and the Preacherman took the ball and made the touchdown.

If you enjoyed reading about "THR Gathering threads are too hard to find" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!