Considering the purchase of a used AR, what are the models/manufacturers to avoid

PDA

MacTech
December 11, 2012, 07:44 PM
Like the title says, I'm considering the purchase of a used AR, but the sheer volume of choices is bewildering

Are there any manufacturers or models that are best avoided?

I'm not looking for anything too elaborate or expensive, just a good, basic model, simplicity and reliability appeal more to me than cool gadgets, I'm a manual action guy, and am happiest with a lever, bolt, pump, or break action

Yet, there's something tempting about a good basic AR

If you enjoyed reading about "Considering the purchase of a used AR, what are the models/manufacturers to avoid" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
simonstough
December 11, 2012, 07:49 PM
my honest best advice is to build one, i put mine together in about an hour for about 750 dollars, so for roughly the same price as a DPMS brand new you can have a higher quality rifle. i have heard good things about the CMMG bargin bin rifles but finding them in stock has proven difficult.

NeuseRvrRat
December 11, 2012, 07:51 PM
http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQchzIxirIkyUiOUR-07zLwzmi8Yr9uuYS3P4H-ye3s50Bzf_YHygFvM6MH

rookorami
December 11, 2012, 08:01 PM
LOL Rat, the picture says it all

kyletx1911
December 11, 2012, 08:02 PM
4 da win

MacTech
December 11, 2012, 08:10 PM
Okay, let me rephrase the question then, what's a decent, basic starter AR? Budget for a used gun would be around $500, any real "sleepers" out there?

gotigers
December 11, 2012, 08:28 PM
S&W sport, DPMS, Double Star, Del-ton. For a little more money; Windham Weaponary, Bushmaster, Stag, S&W M&P15A

Finding any used without the owner trying to gouge you will be difficult. They all think they have a one of a kind.

Olympic is one i don't buy, but some like them.

Stay away from Vulcan, Hesse, Blackthorn.

breakingcontact
December 11, 2012, 08:29 PM
In that price range, I vote M&P Sport. Maybe find one used for that price.

Fred_G
December 11, 2012, 08:32 PM
Palmetto State Armory sometimes runs some good deals on stripped lowers. Build your own lower, and buy an assembled upper would be a good way to save some $ if you are not up to assembling the upper.

If you enjoyed reading about "Considering the purchase of a used AR, what are the models/manufacturers to avoid" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!