CCI 550 Magnum in .38 Special

PDA

utbrowningman
December 11, 2012, 09:19 PM
Give me your thoughts on using this primer in a Colt Officers Model .38 (1912-1913) Special with Universal powder and once fired brass. I did not realize I picked up the 550 primer. I don't think I should have issues but want your thoughts. Also, using 158 grains Hornady lead swagged bullets.

If you enjoyed reading about "CCI 550 Magnum in .38 Special" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
ArchAngelCD
December 12, 2012, 01:15 AM
You only need magnum primers to ignite hard to ignite ball powders like HS-6, HS-7 and W296/H110. If you don't have a use for those magnum primers try to trade them off to another reloader or just go ahead and use them in the .38 Special. Remember to drop back your powder charge and work back up just like when you change any component in a recipe.

(use them with HS-6 and build FBI replica loads)

7mmb
December 12, 2012, 01:52 PM
I've done testing over the chronograph using different primers with the same bullets and powder charges in 357 Magnum. The CCI550 doesn't generate a whole lot more velocity than the CCI500, probably less than a .2gr difference in powder would make. You can use them with Universal in 38 Special but just stay below max. Chronograph them if you can to make sure you're on the safe side. I was in Gallenson's in downtown SLC last Saturday and they had boatloads of CCI500s in stock. They had Remington 1 1/2s and I think they had WSPs too. A good sign because Scheels in Sandy is out of all brands of small pistol standard primers and Sportsman's has been spotty having them in stock too. If you don't want them I could take them off your hands for what you paid for them. I will make sure they are put to good use. :D

rsrocket1
December 12, 2012, 02:58 PM
ditto to what 7mmb.
Magnum primers make almost no measurable difference and no felt difference in mid range loads. I never push the limits in my loads so I've not measured the difference in max loads. Same goes for using small rifle primers in SPP applications so long as you don't have weak hammer or striker springs.

MtnCreek
December 12, 2012, 03:09 PM
I have a similar pistol and although it's built pretty heavy, I always worried about loading anything too stout for it.

If you lived near me I would gladly trade you standards for your mags; may want to ask around to see if someone locally would want to trade.

My little pistol is about the best shooting .38 I have. I bet yours is a shooter too.

gamestalker
December 12, 2012, 11:02 PM
I've used them in 38 spcl. when in a pinch for 500's, but I dropped my powder charge a tad. The only real problems I've ever experienced with this is when going the other way, substituting a 500 for 550.

I also tried using 550's in 9mm and .40 cal and didn't like the pressure increases they caused with those cartridges. And although I decreased my powder charge in those applications a bit, I ended up with rounds that consistently went bang, but velocity and pressures were not as consistent.

GS

ArchAngelCD
December 13, 2012, 12:34 AM
You can not equate substituting a magnum pistol primer for a SPP and a small rifle primer for a SPP, it's just not the same. Even though the magnum pistol primer will burn a little longer and a little hotter it's still a pistol primer and most handguns will reliably set them off. The same can't be said about a small rifle primer...

utbrowningman
December 13, 2012, 10:10 AM
Thanks for the replies. Contacted a co-worker to make a trade. I'm sure everything would be fine, I just don't want to take any unecessary risks with this revolver.

ArchAngelCD
December 14, 2012, 12:53 AM
Thanks for the replies. Contacted a co-worker to make a trade. I'm sure everything would be fine, I just don't want to take any unecessary risks with this revolver.
I'm glad you are going to be able to make the trade but I would not have worried about ruining your revolver. Like I said above, magnum pistol primers will burn slightly hotter and slightly longer than standard primers. They will not produce a nuclear explosion, really...

I suggested the trade because it makes things easier so that you didn't have to work up a new load, not because the magnum primers are dangerous in any way...

If you enjoyed reading about "CCI 550 Magnum in .38 Special" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!