My New Springfield Krag Carbine

PDA

Trent
December 12, 2012, 12:26 AM
Well, I found this old warhorse while visiting the pawn shop today.

She called out to me. I just couldn't pass up a Springfield 1898 30-40 Krag Carbine.

I'm a sucker for old guns.

(Need better pictures when it's light out; and she needs a REAL good cleaning. When I took a pic with the flash I saw some surface rust.. plus 100 years of grease, grime... blech.)

http://i.imgur.com/docSD.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/0udHB.jpg?2

http://i.imgur.com/H7ju9.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/BjqmV.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/VFjvG.jpg?1

And some old Boolits handed down to me from my dearly departed Uncle Joe. They were stored in a "Seagram's Crown Royal" bag -- (AKA What can I use as a BOOLIT BAG!)

They're definitely an unknown. So I'll pull the bullets, feed my overwintered pepper plants the powder, weigh the boolits, and recharge/reseat.

http://i.imgur.com/Sjk33.jpg?1

If you enjoyed reading about "My New Springfield Krag Carbine" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Trent
December 12, 2012, 12:34 AM
pics fixed

Trent
December 12, 2012, 01:06 AM
Also - When I clean it, I'm not going to try to "change" it. Just need to get a few spots of noticeable rust off, and give it a good coat of oil. The patina and dark stock stays. She earned all that. :)

horsemen61
December 12, 2012, 01:13 AM
Can I ask you how much you paid roughly

Trent
December 12, 2012, 01:32 AM
$600 out the door.

(EDIT: Was tagged $799, but I'm a "frequent patron" at the establishment.) :)

horsemen61
December 12, 2012, 01:36 AM
Nice gun

bainter1212
December 12, 2012, 01:40 AM
Nice rifle. Carbines kinda hard to come by so glad you snatched it up. There's a sporterized 1898 carbine at my LGS, been sitting there for two years. I'm planning on walking in and offering him half the tagged price at some point in the not too distant future. Of course the action cycles smooth as butter. Its amazing how the Krag actions are so much smoother than most of your modern bolt actions.

Trent
December 12, 2012, 01:43 AM
Yeah, it's definitely an interesting piece. The magazine design has me mesmerized dude.. :)

The bolt? Oh man, I can't even begin to describe how smooth it works. I have NEVER felt a bolt action this smooth before. It's effortless.

Trigger is a touch sticky, need to get it apart and get the crud out.

Certaindeaf
December 12, 2012, 01:45 AM
Your uncle sure loaded up some interesting rounds. Almost be a shame to pull them (I'd probably not shoot them too though).

Nice rifle!

Trent
December 12, 2012, 02:03 AM
Oh they'll get loaded back the way they were with new powder of known type and quantity. :evil:

I'll keep a couple of each type as-is for my cartridge collection, and as a momento to my uncle.

There's 48 rounds in the bag, at least 5 different projectile types. Who knows what they're loaded to. My uncle was known for pushing things to the limit. Liked big booms, 10 gauge magnum, that sort of thing. He even had one of those rather rare 357 Maximums, the thing was enormous and shot what by all rights should be called a rifle cartridge. :)

Been trying to talk his daughter out of that Maximum for 10 years now, but she won't budge. :)

Molasses
December 12, 2012, 10:12 AM
Just a question, not trying to start anything or tear down your purchase, but are you sure that's an actual carbine and not a cut-down rifle? Or maybe a carbine barrelled action in a shortened rifle stock?
I'm not an expert or anything, it's just that the distance the forend extends past the band doesn't match w. what I remember seeing in photos of Krag carbines.

husker
December 12, 2012, 10:16 AM
Nice. They aint cheap no more either

Kyle M.
December 12, 2012, 10:33 AM
Very nice I had one when I was about 15 that I purchased from an older gentleman. He told me it was a 1898 rifle that had been sporterizef and had the barrel shortened. I sold it several months later for $400 the guy I sold it to later found out it was all original and sold it on gunbroker for $1800. It's one of the few gun sales I've made that I try to refrain from thinking about.

Old Shooter
December 12, 2012, 10:38 AM
I always said you can get some good deals (price or item-wise) at pawn shops if you just keep checking on their inventory every now and then

You just proved me right.

Nice old Krag...enjoy.

Trent
December 12, 2012, 12:07 PM
Just a question, not trying to start anything or tear down your purchase, but are you sure that's an actual carbine and not a cut-down rifle? Or maybe a carbine barrelled action in a shortened rifle stock?
I'm not an expert or anything, it's just that the distance the forend extends past the band doesn't match w. what I remember seeing in photos of Krag carbines.

Actually, it's a very good question. There's enough inconsistencies. :)

It's got a 1902 series rear rifle sight, lacks the "C" marking for a carbine rear sight. The stock on it ORIGINALLY had a 1901 site - based on the 1/2" gap in front of the rear site, it was originally fitted with a 1901, not a 1902.

The stock has a 1903 cartouche above the rear of the trigger.

The serial range indicates it was manufactured in 1900.

Front sight doesn't match known specimens.

Lacks the benecia stamp so it wasn't a DCM school refinish.

It DOES have the U in the appropriate place on the swivel band which is correct for an 1899 Krag carbine. It lacks the swivel on the side of the rifle and has the rear swivel under the butt of the stock, which is the correct config.

So, not true to form, but still a remarkably skillful conversion, almost identical to the Benecia school reworks but lacking the front bayonet band. (Those had a longer stock in front of the swivel band).

As far as what I paid vs. what I got; well, value and beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and I'm not unhappy. :)

If you enjoyed reading about "My New Springfield Krag Carbine" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!