Carbine

PDA

rodwha
December 12, 2012, 09:55 AM
I really like the Walker carbine (http://www.thehighroad.org/showpost.php?p=8540390&postcount=3430) that someone had made. It made me think that doing such with a '51 or '62 Colt would make a great little critter gitter that can convert back to sidearm when wanted.

I fear it would be quite costly, but i'm certainly interested.

Anyone know where a 10-16" barrel could be made at? Or a stock?

If you enjoyed reading about "Carbine" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
rodwha
December 12, 2012, 09:59 AM
I must say that were I to do something like that I'd want a longer stock as the idea of busting caps and fire right by my face doesn't sit well with me.

wap41
December 12, 2012, 11:22 AM
you could start wit a 1860 colt repo.there are detachable carbine stocks for them.

rodwha
December 12, 2012, 11:31 AM
But I want it to be a .36 cal. There's a detachable stock for an 1861, but a longer barrel with better sights would make a big difference in shooting little critters. Plus I'd prefer the cylinder be a little further from my face.

I really feel a need for an 1862, and to have a carbine barrel and stock would be great I think.

I have an Old Army and have thought about how a stock could be made for it as I think that would be cool too...

Fingers McGee
December 12, 2012, 12:58 PM
Pietta makes (made?) an 1851 Navy carbine in .44. Bottom one in the picture

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c86/fingersmcgee/005.jpg

A Pietta .44 cal carbine barrel is avalable from VTI. I believe it's 12". You could mate this up with an 1851/1860 frame and shoulder stock.

Unfortunately, AFAIK, no one makes a long .36 cal barrel.

rodwha
December 12, 2012, 01:04 PM
I really like the looks of that little carbine on the bottom. Too bad there isn't a .36 cal...

It just seems more appropriate to .36 cal as it would have a flatter trajectory with a more little critter caliber. A .44/.45 just seems a bit big.

Although for the cost of the gun and accessories I could shoot lots of little stuff with all of the .457 RB, powder, and caps it would have purchased...

rodwha
December 12, 2012, 01:06 PM
I've heard bad reviews on those attachable stocks, that the fit and finish is horrible. What say you?

Fingers McGee
December 12, 2012, 01:18 PM
I've got the three detachable stocks pictured and they all fit fine.

Fingers McGee
December 12, 2012, 01:33 PM
Although for the cost of the gun and accessories I could shoot lots of little stuff with all of the .457 RB, powder, and caps it would have purchased

Cost per round difference between .36 and .44 is around $.03 depending on how much powder you're using. Here's a reloading calculator that may be of interest and help:

http://reloaderhub.com/calculator.cfm

If you enjoyed reading about "Carbine" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!