Anschutz 1712 Silouhette Rifle

PDA

Sako Shooter
December 12, 2012, 10:01 AM
Does this rifle have a varmit type barrel or a lighter, sporter type barrel. I understand its a heavier barrel for offhand shooting, but don't have one to handle. Feel free to tell me anything else about this rifle, as I hear its the one to beat in sporters.

If you enjoyed reading about "Anschutz 1712 Silouhette Rifle" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
9mmepiphany
December 12, 2012, 01:55 PM
I don't know if I'd call it a varmint type barrel, but it is a heavier profile than the Anschutz sporter barrels.

I chose it because I intended to have it scoped and wanted the higher comb height. I also really liked the roll-over cheek piece and the contrasting grip cap. The adjustable trigger reach was just a bonus.

It really deserves nice glass on it. I mounted a Leupold VX-II, 3-9 x 33mm Ultralight E.F.R. on mine and even sprung for the aluminum flip-up lens caps

Here is a quick picture I snapped of it when it first arrived...along with a FN SLP
http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n79/9mmepiphany/DSC_1249.jpg

Sako Shooter
December 12, 2012, 05:54 PM
I hear it is a very, very accurate rimfire rifle. I'm torn between it and a 57m. Difference is, I can actually handle the Cooper.

Howard Roark
December 12, 2012, 06:58 PM
The barrel is slightly tapered because silhouette rules specify that hunter class rifles have to have a tapered barrel. Not how much, but that it is.

I don't know if you plan to use the rifle for silhouette competition, if so, be aware of a few things. If the stock doesn't fit you, you are stuck with it unless you are OK with modifying/hacking on it. This isn't a big deal but a better way to go is to buy a barreled action for a grand and then get a Treebone stock in the Mark Farr design or find an old actual Farr stock. They aren't made anymore.

I don't know what kind of trigger is in the Cooper but Anschutz two stage triggers are simply the best.

Personally, I would get the Anschutz. There are very few Coopers on the line at silhouette and smallbore matches. I suspect that this is due to the superior two stage triggers and the perinial award winning 54 action and high quality barrels.

9mmepiphany
December 12, 2012, 06:59 PM
The big difference that I saw was that Anschutz offers different models with different features, Cooper offers more options on models of their rifles.

Anschutz is more like highend 1911 manufacturers like Brown or Wilson; while Cooper is more like a Custom 1911 builder.

Having said that, If I were building a accuracy centric .22lr rifle, I'd start with the Anschutz M54 action over the Cooper

Hoser
December 12, 2012, 11:12 PM
My Sporter/Hunter rifle is a 54 repeater with a Lilja barrel built by Evelio McDonald.

You cant go wrong with an Annie.

plexreticle
December 13, 2012, 12:25 AM
Cooper will look better for sure, Annie will probably shoot better.

9mmepiphany
December 13, 2012, 12:39 AM
The Annie does have a very European flavor to it's furniture, while the Coop's style will be more familiar to the American eye.

I really liked the roll-over cheekpiece...I even thought about adding a shadow line to it...but then I like the Weatherby Californian look too; Yup I have a Weatherby Mark XXII

twofifty
December 13, 2012, 09:10 PM
It is too bad Weatherby discontinued their Mark XXII (or is that XII?)

A friend has one and it is just as good as my Germany-made Anschutz. This is not surprising given that the XXII has an Annie action-trigger-barrel on a fine grade stock. That was a brilliant bit of licensing on Anschutz' part.

9mmepiphany
December 13, 2012, 09:44 PM
I just realized that I wasn't being clear. I don't have the Weatherby bolt action .22lr...which used the Anchutz M164 action...I was really disappointed that at that price point, they didn't go with the 54 action.

What I have is the old Semi-auto Weatherby Mark XXII. They had two versions, one box mag fed or the other tubular mag fed. I have one made in Japan...mine has the factory scope also

http://www.cowanauctions.com/itemImages/tee0161.jpg

twofifty
December 13, 2012, 10:08 PM
Ah. So your semi is an all-Weatherby design and manufacture then? I am not all that familiar with the Weatherby line except for their Wby-Anschutz bolt-action sporter.

What are the shooting qualities that you like about your XXII Weatherby?

A good friend who is brand spankin' new to firearms wants his first rifle to be one of the popular Ruger 10/22s. This guy wants to first learn marksmanship, then purchase a CF rifle to go deer/elk hunting next year.

I agree with his choice given that the 10/22 is accurate enough to learn on and more, plus it has a high fun factor. Fun is what I hope will hook him into the gun sports ... so that he takes the time/effort needed to become a good position shooter. I figure fancy rimfires can come along later if'n he gets into metallic silhouette or whatever.

9mmepiphany
December 13, 2012, 10:33 PM
Mostly it was the stock design/dimensions.

It is as true full sized stock, high comb and nicely proportioned cheekpiece.

It doesn't hurt that the trigger and barrel are excellent and the scope correctly scaled

Gordon
December 14, 2012, 01:58 AM
I have the Weatherby/Anshutz and even with the 164 action it cleans everyones clock unless they have a free rifle or a bull gun.It also matches my old German Sauer Mkvs and the German made .224 Varmintmaster. I will never let it go, I put a $500 Nikon 4-12 AO scope on it this year because it is so accurate. I think the Anshutz barrels are "choked" or something mystical.

Sako Shooter
December 14, 2012, 02:53 PM
I just ordered a 1712, so I guess all my questions will soon be answered.

If you enjoyed reading about "Anschutz 1712 Silouhette Rifle" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!