Chiappa M1 Carbine .22lr FEELS LIKE THR REAL THING!

PDA

CoyoteSix
December 12, 2012, 05:18 PM
So i was in my LGS today and found and fondled the Chiappa M1 Carbine in.22lr

The thing felt and looked great!

dare i say it really did feel like the real carbines I've handled.

Anyone have experience with these puppies? I wanna know how it likes bulk long rifle, how it ruins dirty, and how well built it is. It felt over built and sturdy.

As a young college student that lord's M1 carbines and Garands but can't afford'em this seems perfect. But i always like THR's info!

If you enjoyed reading about "Chiappa M1 Carbine .22lr FEELS LIKE THR REAL THING!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
kBob
December 12, 2012, 05:32 PM
Various folks are reporting problems with them over at Rim Fire Central. I have not handled one yet as I have yet to see one here abouts.

I understand they ARE NOT copies of Erma EM1s. My experience with the EM 1 was happy on both sides of the pond and I wish I had bought one.

I had hopes for the Chippy but they seem to be having teething issues that make me want to wait and see.

Honestly a used 10/22 and tech sights sounds like a better deal and if you want put it in one of the M-1 Carbine style stocks and have a rifle that looks something like an M-1 Carbine but that works reliably.

-kBob

bigfatdave
December 12, 2012, 05:46 PM
rimfirecentral reports are mixed at best - you should read it over there, it will be in the "other rimfire" subforum

You can also rig up a 10/22 as a fake M1 Carbine, EABco has a stock and I recently saw a better replica stock with proper barrel band, but I'm brain-farting where that was. I have the EABco stock and I was seriously jealous of the improved version.

The EABco stock, a sling/oiler from the CMP, and a set of Tech Sights made an old junky 10/22 into a really nice carbine trainer.
It fools the guys who got issued a Carbine, I have to take the real deal to the range if I take the fake one, because they all want to share a war story and I'd feel like a jerk just offering them a mag of .22lr in return.

CoyoteSix
December 12, 2012, 05:55 PM
Thanks guys. A 10/22 replica was the original plan. The little chippy just through me off. I guess i just like buying a second rifle over modifying one.

It'd be awesome if some made a M1paratrooper stock for the 10\22... sigh

There is the butlercreek folder but i like wood better...

bigfatdave
December 12, 2012, 06:06 PM
I was going to buy one of the Chiappa replica guns

then I read the RFC reviews
then I encountered one at a shop and was seriously NOT impressed with anything but the stock (they DO have a surprisingly nice wood stock)

bigfatdave
December 12, 2012, 06:10 PM
Look for a junker 10/22 at gun shows, you can always find another 10/22

Heck, they're so common, there might be an extra in your coat closet

kBob
December 13, 2012, 12:07 PM
The whole factory made 10/22 M1 stock thing sort of started on RFC a couple of years back or so. SOmeone had modified and actual carbine stock by hoging it out and glass bedding a 10/22 into it. Others had made mods to a standard ruger birch stock to get the look and several folks opined that a drop in 10/22 to M-1 Carbine stock would sell like hot cakes. The first such stocks I am aware of were by a couple of guys that I believe were sponsors on RFC and when they met with success others jumped on the band wagon.

Any how you might look up the thread on modifying a real M-1 Carbine stock for the 10/22 and buy a M1A1 type folder reproduction to try it yourself. Seems expensive though but if its what you really want..... I personally would find a M-2 Carbine beater stock to "practice" on before I started carving up a $169 folder repro. Of course then you would have both styles of military stock.

I think the best looking ones have had a 15 round carbine magazine shortened and epoxed onto a standard ruger 10 round rotory mag. Please use a commercial magazine for the cutting and epoxing.

Those ea brown carbine sights that mock the original l type drift adjustable sights make me wonder if a windage/ range adjustable sight like the late guns and rebuilds used to fit that dove tail.

With the sights, a carved up and reglassed M-1A1 stock and a cut up commercial magazine it might well fool some folks.....and be half way to the cost of buying a real carbine.

-kBob

If you enjoyed reading about "Chiappa M1 Carbine .22lr FEELS LIKE THR REAL THING!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!