I HATE rem 55gr .224" FMJ+ sizing die questions

PDA

Reefinmike
December 12, 2012, 10:01 PM
I decided to grab a few hundred remington 22 caliber 55 grain fmj bullets at a close gun shop instead of taking the 40 minute trek to the store that carries hornady bullets. I HATE :cuss: these because they are inconsistent length, inconsistent diameter, very inconsistent cannelure, all of which leads to an inconsistent overall length. I set up my seating die for the new bullet and had a 1.755" case(my longest) and turned it in just a hair for a very light crimp. I pumped out 5 rounds before noticing difficulties. the cannelure grove was all over the place so some pieces of brass were attempting to crimp on the rounded bullet surface causing the case to "bell out" at the base of the shoulder. So I simply backed off the die and seated the bullets to 2.225(well, within .02 of that because they were all over the place :rolleyes:). So i made up 50 of these without crimp. then i went to go push test one. I'll admit, I have never thought to do the push test but for some reason I thought to and im happy I did. Every one i checked pushed right on in the case. At this point Im thinking "ooh no, something happened along the line and all my ammo in my safe is going to KB on me" I went and checked all of my hornady loads and I was not able to push the bullets in .0005", crimped or not.

So the box of 50 I made up, I went back and crimped them the best I could by feel on the press so I dont bow out the case shoulder. sure enough I had another 5 or so that had bowed out shoulders and would not pass the plunk test in my rifle. A spark went off in my thinker and I removed the decapping pin from my sizing die and just ran the 10 or so bowed out rounds through the die. It worked wonderfully and they all passed the plunk test without any cases growing from their original length. I did notice that as it resized the necks with the bullet in place, that it "shined up" the top .125" of the neck and left a very very minor ring that you can barely feel with your fingernail 1/8" down the exterior of the neck. should this be Ok or should I discontinue this practice for safeties sake? These will obviously be blasting rounds as they all have different crimps, different overall lengths, etc etc. Im sure i will run into more of these "belled out" shoulders as I use up these bullets... im mad I opened all three packets :banghead:

also, forgot to mention im using the lee RGB die set

If you enjoyed reading about "I HATE rem 55gr .224" FMJ+ sizing die questions" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
NeuseRvrRat
December 12, 2012, 10:06 PM
you should not resize a case with a bullet in it. the expander ball actually sizes the neck on the ram's downstroke and you've removed it.

you could chuck the decapping rod in a drill and polish the expander ball down .0005" or maybe .001". this might help with your low neck tension, but if you've got sufficient neck tension on your reloads with other bullets, i'd probably leave it alone. more crimp is not the solution for insufficient neck tension.

as far as the bullets go, i've started using 55 gr milsurp pulldowns from hi-tech ammo. they are consistent and shoot well for me. cheaper than most of the bulk commercial offerings.

kingmt
December 13, 2012, 06:35 AM
Throw those away. The cases & bullets will be junk now. The case mouths will be to thin & the bullets undersized.

Your lucky you didn't get one stuck.

Walkalong
December 13, 2012, 07:26 AM
I quit trying to roll crimp Winchester 55 Gr FMJ bullets for the same reason. I started putting a modest taper crimp on my blasting/plinking ammo. I have shot all of them now and am working on shooting some Berrys I bought in 07. They are more consistent than the Winchesters. I have no idea who made them, they were just priced right. I have a few Hornady 55 Gr FMJ bullets, but I am saving them. You are right, they are definitely nicer.

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=120702&stc=1&d=1273145417

sure enough I had another 5 or so that had bowed out shoulders
Yea, it takes very little pressure to bulge out the shoulder just enough to cause problems.

hentown
December 13, 2012, 08:02 AM
First mistake you made was thinking that you needed to crimp .223 ammo! ;) My main complaint with Remmy and Winchester bulk 55gr fmj bullets was that they're both inaccurate, in my experience.

I just bought a case of 6k Hornady 55gr fmjbt from Wideners @ $.08 each, and they're excellent.

rcmodel
December 13, 2012, 11:47 AM
+1

Don't crimp them.

If your neck tension is correct, they don't need to be crimped.

If you do insist on crimping, buy a Lee FCD crimp die.
It crimps with a split collet operated off the shell holder and exact case length is not a factor at all.

rc

119er
December 13, 2012, 03:57 PM
I kinda regret buying the 1000 pack without trying them first. I ignored all the bad reviews and gambled that they couldn't be that bad. I lost the bet. Mine are not as bad as some people have mentioned but out of my 16" AR I have to push them hard with 25.5gr of H335 in LC cases to get any group at all at 100yd. It's a pretty hot load but it groups around 2". The lower loads a lot of people like(24.5 seems poplular) shoot like garbo in my rifle. I'll blast these away and take my lesson learned.

eam3clm@att.net
December 13, 2012, 08:36 PM
I must say that I also hate the winchester FMJs. Mine ranged from a very pointed tip to a round nose profile.

RustyFN
December 13, 2012, 08:42 PM
as far as the bullets go, i've started using 55 gr milsurp pulldowns from hi-tech ammo. they are consistent and shoot well for me. cheaper than most of the bulk commercial offerings.

I'm glad to see somebody has had good luck with those. They shoot OK for me but I just can't seem to get them to shoot as tight as the 55 grain bulk Hornady.

NeuseRvrRat
December 13, 2012, 08:49 PM
i haven't tried the bulk hornady bullets and i suspect they would shoot better than the pulldowns. the pulldowns are accurate enough for the intended use and cheaper, so i just go with it. i keep some SMK loads around for the friendly wagers. pretty much the same POI, but much smaller groups ;)

longdayjake
December 14, 2012, 02:28 PM
Someone remind me why we are putting that much effort into making cheap little plinking 55 grain ammo? I mean, I guess I understand putting this much effort into some 75 grain SMK loads but cheap little 55 grain plinkers really don't warrant this much work.

eam3clm@att.net
December 14, 2012, 08:04 PM
Someone remind me why we are putting that much effort into making cheap little plinking 55 grain ammo? I mean, I guess I understand putting this much effort into some 75 grain SMK loads but cheap little 55 grain plinkers really don't warrant this much work.
Maybe we have OCD. I am proud of what I load and somtimes I like to show off a little. Its hard to show off with somthing that was just thrown together and shoots area of aim instead of POA. The decision on how much time they are willing to spend to get acceptable accuracy depends on the individual person. I am not knocking your 223 bullets and I cannot since I have never gotten any ( I have gotten others from you). For what its worth, I take the time to cast, size/lube, and load plinking ammo for my 9mm's.

rcmodel
December 14, 2012, 08:27 PM
I load cheaper 55 grain FMJ-BT for close range plinking & beer can blasting.

When I actually need to hit something at long range, like a coyote, and know it is going to perform, I use quality bullets.

55 grain Nosler B-T & Win FMJ-BT.
Same exact load, range, and sight setting.
5-shot groups.

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j219/rcmodel/KTOG/EoTecGroup.jpg

rc

Reefinmike
December 14, 2012, 08:35 PM
I thought my thread was dead :)

with hornady bullets, I have never crimped. i started to but I found it to be too big of a PIA if using mixed brass as all federals were short and wouldnt have a consistent crimp. Ive never had neck tension problems, its the bullets.

I called remington yesterday and got a call back today. The lady on the phone asked me to pull some of the most problematic bullets and send them in and they would send me a check for what I paid. I dont want to try to take advantage of the situation, but I kind of hope they will reimburse me for the pound of powder, 300 primers and hours of case prep. pulling all of these with a kinetic puller will take forever and im very weary of shooting these off. Id be fine shooting them one by one, but certainly not going to let one of these smack the feed ramp and possibly have major setback and a KB.:banghead:

Kachok
December 14, 2012, 08:46 PM
I have used Remington products for years, but seems that their QC gets worse every day. Once I run out the last of my old Core-Lokts I will be off Remington products for good.

If you enjoyed reading about "I HATE rem 55gr .224" FMJ+ sizing die questions" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!