Kinda thinking out loud here... .44 version of an NAA loader for Remmies?

PDA

Busyhands94
December 12, 2012, 10:52 PM
So I have been milling over this idea for a while now. A fellow member mentioned I should make them, but I wasn't sure how to modify the design to work for a .44. I'm thinking about making and selling loaders for the Remington that work just like the little .22 loaders for the NAA companions do. Not even sure there would be a market for a pocket loading stand, what do you guys think?

Obviously, we aren't dealing with little stainless steel cap guns that shoot lead round nosed bullets at 1200 FPS with smokeless powder. We are talking Remingtons, or cap and ball Colts, you know. Old stuff, great old stuff that we all hold so dearly. An aluminum tool wouldn't cut it, so I'm thinking maybe 1/2" mild steel. Blued, maybe leather handles and some file working. I have a bunch laying around, I just need to get a disk for my cutter so I can make a prototype.

Here's a rough sketch I did with Gimp (good photo editing software by the way) and a white background.
http://i1178.photobucket.com/albums/x372/busyhands94/loadingtool.jpg

What has me puzzled is two things. How big should the overall length be? And would shooters actually buy something like this or would I end up making 12 of them and have a bunch of cool looking paperweights?

The look should be 1800's. Those screws will need to be antiqued.

Not trying to promote my own product here, just looking for some insight on a tool I'm developing. :)

If you enjoyed reading about "Kinda thinking out loud here... .44 version of an NAA loader for Remmies?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
ofitg
December 12, 2012, 11:15 PM
Sounds like a good idea, I might be interested in getting one..... wouldn't have to "look 1800s", though, just simple, functional, and inexpensive.

Suggestions? Interchangeable punches for .36 or .44 cylinders, perhaps? Or how about a pin on the opposite handle to anchor the cylinder in place?

The handles should be long enough to provide good leverage, preferably similar to the 8" Remmie's built-in lever.

Busyhands94
December 12, 2012, 11:54 PM
Ofitg, interchangeable punches for .44 and .36 would be nice. Not sure I have the tools to make them interchangeable though, so that will require more contemplation. I'll go fetch my pipe and thinking cap! :D

Would maybe 7" be a good length for a pocket loader? I can fit 7" in my front pocket. But there's gotta be some good leverage too. Of course there's gonna be that silly chimp that tries to seat his hand cast roundballs made from antimony with a hammer so it's gotta be durable too.

Thanks Steve! :)

Jim, West PA
December 13, 2012, 09:25 AM
This is a great idea Levi.
As Ofitg has pointed out, an anchor would be required.

For strength, i would consider making your handles laminated.
Even laminations of aluminum would be plenty strong and make the tool light.

Selling a few 'prototypes' would give you the funds to buy better materials and things like taps and dies needed to make different caliber plungers.
You could also cut initial costs buy using Plasti-Dip on the prototype handles instead of leather.

kBob
December 13, 2012, 09:45 AM
Levi,

As the guy that put that bug in your ear I would be happy to test and reveiw one of these set up to load a Pietta .44 NMA.

I only use a hammer to start the somewhat hard single aught buck shot in the little .31 remington as their loading lever system is notoriously weak.

It occurs to me that you have a .31 Remmie 1863 cylinder and that you might make your first proto type to load that.

-kBob

ofitg
December 13, 2012, 10:13 AM
+1 on kBob's comments - I would also be interested in a loader for the .31 Pocket Rem.

Busyhands94
December 13, 2012, 03:04 PM
That brings me to another idea I had... those NAA loaders are pretty close in size. But you don't want a 1/4" ring on each ball you seat because the caliber is different. Of course I could buy a handfull of NAA loaders, then make a new plunger for them. I have a lath and it wouldn't be hard at all to do with some brass or steel bar. Or perhaps make the handles from steel and blue them, and of course filework! :D If you are gonna build something you aught to make it look awesome.

As for testing it, I have .32 caliber bullets and buckshot. The bullets for .32 S&W are actually the perfect size for the cylinder, at .312 according to Midway USA (that's where I originally bought them.)

arcticap
December 13, 2012, 04:22 PM
I realize that you want to make a simple hand held design. But the simple table top type would have more application with both the Remington and Colts.
I'm not sure but your design might damage the ratchet teeth of the Colt cylinders if it came into contact with them.

http://www.buffaloarms.com/Loading_stand_for_black_powder_revolvers_pr-3814.aspx

Plus the table top style can be partially made out of wood, and possibly have different size rams and inserts for different size cylinder holes.
The longer the handle, the more leverage for larger calibers and conicals.
Or one could be made specifically for the .31's and still be made to be small and handy. For example, the popular Colt 1849 Wells Fargo Pocket revolver doesn't come with a loading lever.

Busyhands94
December 14, 2012, 12:12 AM
Steve, that's a good point there. It didn't occur to me that the ratchet teeth on Colt revolvers could get damaged! Those loading stands are exactly like the one I have. It is recessed for a Colt cylinder where the pin screws in.

Of course, nobody has made a pocket loading press for cap and ball revolvers aside from the companions that I'm aware of. That's what's so appealing about this idea. Just a small, well made tool that will make life easier for my fellow shooters.

I'm probably not going to get rich off this, but if I can help out some fellow shooters with something they need for their pocket pistols I'm happy with it.

arcticap
December 14, 2012, 01:26 AM
Give it a shot and see if you can make it work.
Folks probably don't realize that these Rydon single caliber loading presses have a plastic base, but I guess that they hold together well enough to work.

http://www.buffaloarms.com/Loading_stand_for_black_powder_revolvers_pr-3814.aspx

faustopph
December 14, 2012, 12:16 PM
Busyhands have you been reading my mind? I have put some thought into this for a while now and am looking at the material side of things at this time.

You keep on keeping on with your design and get the kinks worked out. Mine is a bit different and I can't understand why someone hasn't come up with something back in the day.My design or your design would easily fit in a saddle bag along with the other loading components.

Busyhands94
December 14, 2012, 03:24 PM
Alright, I'll give it a shot and see what I can come up with! :)

And you are absolutely correct faustopph, the idea is the small loaders should be able to fit in a pocket, saddle bag, or possibles bag without taking up too much space. Cause you gotta have extra space for extra ammo! :D

BCRider
December 14, 2012, 11:34 PM
Well.... loading stands for either full guns or just the cylinders have been around for quite a while for the bigger bore .36's and .44's. That's not to suggest that a nice folding compact model won't turn the world on it's ear. But the basic concept isn't new by any means.

arcticap
December 15, 2012, 05:27 PM
I've never tried it but couldn't a simple ball starter such as for a BP rifle be used to load a cylinder off the frame?
And that also leads me to wonder, why not simply use the frame mounted ram that comes with the .44 Remington instead of making a specialized pocket loader for it?
After all, the NAA mini-.22 pocket loader is made because the gun does not have any ram attached to the frame.
But the .44 Remington revolvers do.
I guess that a pocket press could be used to load a spare cylinder, but a Remington cylinder is easy enough to put on and to take off to use the gun's ram for loading if desired.
IIRC, only some of the Colt .31's, Patersons, and some of the snubnose revolvers don't have a useful ram on the frame. And the snubnose .36 Colt comes with a brass "push ram" to load with. It has a wide flat end to be able to push against with the palm of your hand or against a stable object like a table top to load using less effort.
But a .44 pocket press may require more effort than using the ram that comes already mounted on the .44 Remington's frame.

Busyhands94
December 15, 2012, 10:52 PM
Steve, the idea is you can use it for snubbies and shorties. Like the 63 Remington, fine example. The loading lever on that is too small and weak, so that's why a press would be perfect for that.

Although some people do prefer loading presses for their revolvers. Perhaps some kind of folding base? It's gotta be small and fit right in the pocket. I have the perfect idea how these loaders could have a folding stand incorporated into the design and also a pin that will go through the hole in the middle of the cylinder. And when I say awesome, I mean it! :D

It came to me in a dream last night. I forgot what I dreamed, then I was smokin' my pipe and fishing by the river in the quiet of the morning and remembered it, then improved it through some contemplation of the design. http://i1178.photobucket.com/albums/x372/busyhands94/puffy.gif

This, is seriously good. A folding loading stand that will precisely load all five .32 cannonballs.

arcticap
December 16, 2012, 12:55 AM
If it will work for .31's then it sounds like you're really on to something.
And if its scale could be enlarged to work with larger snubbies then that would be groundbreaking. :)

Busyhands94
December 16, 2012, 02:15 AM
The design is simple, not a lot can mechanically go wrong aside from some part breaking. But I don't make crap, I make things that are utilitarian.

This design should work for .44 and .36 snubs, and of course the little .31's. Tomorrow's job is gonna be to build one or maybe more. Honestly, I don't know if I'll be able to sleep tonight. I'm ichin' to break out the power tools and make something awesome.

BCRider
December 16, 2012, 12:20 PM
I can see it being something sort of like a two hinged foldup sort of "nutcracker" style deal made from aluminium bar stock of good quality. In use it would fold up neatly but still be a little bulky for a pocket carry. However a belt pouch or simply keep it in a possibles bag along with the flask of powder and balls would not be out of the question at all.

I'm just not sure how to make it look period correct. Hauling it out to use would be a little like anachronism of the wrist weapon used in Cowboys vs Aliens.... :D

Have you got any ideas for how to design it yet? The sketch below just flashed into my head while writing this reply. In considering the dynamics of using a small folding "pocket loader" compared to a table top version I like the stability inherent in using a pull apart action instead of a squeeze together sort of action. In use one hand would grab the blue cylinder and lower portion of the frame and the other would hook around the lower end of the red lever and pull in the directions shown to ram the ball home.

The rammer is shown as being a lot longer than it needs to be for two reasons. First is to give room to the cylinder for slipping it onto and off the center support rod. Second is that a longer rammer minimizes the angle change difference seen as the ram travels in a circular arc at the top.

I suspect that if the cylinder pin was replaceable then different sizes for each cylinder could be used for the best possible support. And since the Remington cylinders use such a small pin there may need to be an extra "anvil" for support that sits in the elbow of the frame so the anvil takes the pressure instead of the pin trying to bend. In fact that's not a bad idea in any event even for Colt styles.

The need to make the rammer in a couple of different diameters suggests that one size for .36 and .44 with a second smaller size that would work for the .31 and .36 sizes might work out best. Or perhaps replaceable rammer pins of the best diameter and length.

As shown it would certainly slip into a back pocket. But the rammer handle would likely stick out if it's long enough to provide the leverage needed. And I see that I've also shown the rammer pin as being a trifle long. With the lever in the start position shown it should actually be up off the ball by a just a little.

raa-7
December 16, 2012, 01:16 PM
Hey Levi I think it's a good idea as far as being a useful tool.Personally,I'd rather load my Rem cylinder out of the frame as many shooters do.Maybe you can do a prototype and take pictures of it and maybe have like a short instruction paper with it/how to use etc,and just get the idea out and see how the response is before you make too many,this way you won't get stuck with any of them.But I think it would be a good little tool for alot of shooters.I've been thinking about one ever since I've owned my .44 The NAA bp revolvers have to be loaded with them like you said and also there are quite a few models that require a separate loading tool like this so I'm thinking this would be good and everything I can think of just points to "positive" and we all know you have the skills to do this no prob. -ron-

Busyhands94
December 16, 2012, 09:34 PM
BCRider, I like that design. It does look like it would be a little difficult to make, but it's still a pretty good one and is still totally doable. Kinda makes me want to design one that mounts to the tailgate kinda like a C-clamp.. That would be pretty cool too for the high volume BP shooters here, and it would be just plain good to have.

Ron, thank you for the kind words and the ideas. Making a short instructional sounds like a nice way to see if anybody truly wants one. My thoughts? How about I make a folding version and one that's just like NAA's version but in .32 caliber. Why not make both.

Today I couldn't get a prototype together, it was pouring rain and muddy. Plus if I broke out and fired up the drill press I'd be riding the lightning and nobody would ever get a loading press. My sheltered work area isn't finished, and I still need some depot nails, 2x4's and screws to get it built so I can make these things. The shop/reloading room has been turned into the household dump.

Rest assured, I took full advantage of the unfavorable weather conditions. I GOT TO GO MUDDIN'!!! YEEEEEEEEEEEHAW!!! Then of course I let God wash my truck for me while I warmed up by the fire with a hot cup of coffee. You couldn't tell what color my truck was! :D

First dry day we get I'm building one.

YumaKid
December 17, 2012, 08:32 AM
You had MORE rain in NorCal? Yesterday was the first completely sunny and dry day since last Wenesday around these parts! My son (16) harrowed the turnout arena at a good clip because he thought the little 4x4 Kubota would sink if he went too slow. Nothing pretty, just trying to fluff up the ground to promote drying.
He came back in with only about 5000 mud "freckles".

faustopph
December 17, 2012, 10:02 AM
articap,that is what I have been using for my .31 is my ball starter for my muzzleloader. It works good but is best with a table top or bench under the cylinder for consistent pressure when ramming the ball.

arcticap
December 18, 2012, 01:24 PM
This Colt cylinder loader that Smokin'Joe made is so amazingly simple that you've got to see it to believe it. It loads 3 balls at a time but only as deep as the face of the cylinder. To ram the balls any deeper would require an extra step such as using the frame mounted ram, a starter, or a dowel or such.
But using filler might negate needing an extra step to ram the balls deeper.

http://www.thehighroad.org/showpost.php?p=7121933&postcount=17

kBob
December 18, 2012, 01:42 PM
OK how did I miss that?

I think perhaps mounting it on a block and using a speed wrench (ratchet wrench) might be interesting. I am alittle afraid of using a power drill with a socket driver on it but that might work if no open powder was about.

Hmmm, perhaps threading three bolts into the top washer and dishing the ends out like the end of the pistol's ram might allow this to fully seat three at a time.

Getting the balls stated enough to cut the ring of excess would still be a great way to not over stress the ram on say a little Remmie.31 '63. if this can be made to work for those. Also for a colt cut short and still having some of the ram left like the one on the current shortened Walker thread that could provide little leverage.

Thanks for the link and thanks to the guy that came up with it.

-kBob

kBob
December 18, 2012, 01:46 PM
Still wonder if taking a C or O type reloading press and mounting a cylinder arbor sized pin on the shell holder with a cushion or cutt out for the cylinder ratchets and providing a washer like that or one with individual short rams might not work.

Maybe even a three at a time set for use with the Lee nit cracket tyle reloading tool.

Just thinking.

-kBob

BCRider
December 18, 2012, 11:07 PM
I REALLY like Smokin' Joe's three rammer setup. If that were expanded out into a less fumbly to use tool instead of the bits of this and bits of that and two wrenchs that want to fall off it could be quite the package. The ONLY issue being that it would not be good for "load 5 only" Cowboy Action. But for range plinking days where it's OK to load all six at a time this would ROCK! ! ! !

Changes would involve a plate with three ramming pins set into a metal ramming plate so there's no need to ram the balls home when the cylinder is put back in the frame. The self equalizing nature of the "tripod" would ensure that all three chambers are equally compressed.

Busyhands, around here a bumper mounted version would not work well since our laws and range rules do not allow us to haul our car/truck out onto the firing line at the range. You see ALL of our handguns other than a few special proper antiques have to be fired at club ranges. And the clubs frown on driving right up to the firing line.... :D

Busyhands94
December 19, 2012, 12:17 AM
Man, that would be a PITA if I had to walk from the truck to shoot. Usually I drive down a dirt road, hit a few mud puddles along the way, pull up, lay my ammo on my tailgate, set up the steel, and feed from there. The beauty of it is that the tailgate has these sort of indentations that are perfect because you can just dump your roundball on there and they won't roll away.

Alright, we got a clear day tomorrow, but I might have work. We'll see if I can make a prototype, I really wanna see if this will work.

Of course, no need to re-invent the wheel here. Sure, there's a tons of designs for loaders out there. Probably as many as there are cap and ball revolvers. But nobody has made a .32 caliber hand squeezer type. That's why I am. :D

ofitg
December 29, 2012, 08:08 PM
Levi, have you made any progress with your project?

Busyhands94
December 29, 2012, 08:23 PM
As far as a full sized Remington press, I still have to get some flat aluminum bar stock for it. The hardware store has some but I'm broke, I do have some good ideas for how the bullet seating plunger will look and how it will attach though, and I did buy screws for it.

For the .31 I have modified a spare .22 Mag NAA loader that was sitting my my gun drawer collecting dust. I know you can seat .32 S&W bullets in the cylinder with it, but I don't have any roundballs to test it with. I'm going to purchase some NAA loader so modify and make into .31 caliber pocket loaders.

The only problem is I can't get em' out of there. Anybody got an extra .31 Remmy they wouldn't mind parting with? :D

ofitg
December 29, 2012, 09:39 PM
On several occasions I have unloaded percussion revolver cylinders by removing the nipples, and then inserting an aluminum rod through the nipple wells (careful not to damage the threads) to drive the balls forward, out of the chambers.

So your .31 cylinder loader worked out OK? Can you post photos? I might be your first customer.

Busyhands94
January 2, 2013, 08:16 PM
Steve, I have been searching all over and couldn't find it. Then it occurred to me that I left it at my now ex girlfriend's house because I was using her bench grinder to rectify a problem with the plunger hitting the edge of the chamber. I'm NOT talking to that lying, cheating, dishonest #%&$@ again. :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :mad: :cuss: :cuss: Wish I'd known the day before I caught her cheating. :fire:

However, I'll see if I can get some aluminum sheeting tomorrow and make one from scratch.

Busyhands94
January 22, 2013, 12:00 AM
http://i1178.photobucket.com/albums/x372/busyhands94/bump_zpsf1482f6f.gif
Bump! :D
http://i1178.photobucket.com/albums/x372/busyhands94/Photo0192_zpsc051ae00.jpg

http://i1178.photobucket.com/albums/x372/busyhands94/Photo0191_zps0178a89a.jpg

http://i1178.photobucket.com/albums/x372/busyhands94/Photo0190_zps3f63d22b.jpg

http://i1178.photobucket.com/albums/x372/busyhands94/Photo0189_zps6ddc84c9.jpg

I made that sucker today, took me about 6 chaws and 2 cups of coffee. But that sucker seats those .32 caliber bullets in that cylinder just fine, no doubt you'd be able to use it for roundballs. I gave the steel a good cold blue but left the aluminum sanded. It's got locking washers (the kind with the little rubber inserts) just like the ones NAA has so it won't fall apart in the users pocket and it would be harder to loose parts.

I also had to engrave where it was made. The good ol' US of A by M'ericans. :cool:

Not sure what I'd charge, but I could make a bunch of these. I like the idea of helping shooters rediscover mouseguns and their potential by making them want to shoot more! :)

Levi

ofitg
January 22, 2013, 02:06 AM
Levi, that looks pretty good!

Let us know when you decide on a price..... gotta cover the cost of materials, plus your time..... how long does it take for "six chaws and two cups of coffee"?

Franco2shoot
January 22, 2013, 10:49 AM
I would suggest that the bottom pin should be two pins and the plunger should have the pivot point. The bottom rail should have the means to hold the cylinder with a short stub extending up.

I use a table mount press that does a really nice job but is too bulky to take to the field.

If you use a cotter pin to retain the plunger, different size plungers could be easily swapped out and sold.

KKKKFL

Busyhands94
January 23, 2013, 01:10 PM
Ofitg, building it took about 3.5 hours start to finish. I got that aluminum at a garage sale for cheap, but I know of a scrap yard that I can get the same stuff at for probably less. Problem is I don't know if I'll be able to find the place, it's been years and I have the navigational skills of a drunk in a foreign town! It's this scrap yard that is in the same town as my college called Bateef scrap I think, they have basically everything you'd ever need there. Inside they have a bunch of old rifles and shotguns on the ceiling (some from the BP era) and I also saw a musket in there once! :) Oh yes, and some good air rifles you can buy! :D

I have never sold anything like this before, but I have done similar projects. Does $45 sound fair is that too steep for a handmade item like this?

Franko2shoot, I like that idea. Just to make sure I'm getting the right idea here, are we talking something along the lines of a commercial cylinder loader mixed with an NAA loader? Because that might be VERY useful for something like that.

The main reason I made the plunger stationary and no pin to go into the cylinder is because the cylinder is much smaller. You can hold it straight much like on an NAA .22 cylinder and still seat the bullets neatly. For the most part, I think as long as you aren't using ridiculously oversize balls of hard lead it should work fine.

Another reason is there's less moving parts. Less to break, less that can go wrong! :D You can probably guess why I prefer a .38 revolver over a 9mm any day of the week!

ofitg
January 23, 2013, 08:57 PM
Levi, with 3-1/2 hours of labor, your price sounds reasonable.... can you include postage with that (ie, $45 postpaid)?

My budget is already blown for this payday so I'll have to wait until the end of the month.

BHP FAN
January 23, 2013, 09:19 PM
I have loaders for my .44, and another for my .36, and another, more elaborate one that has fittings for .31, .36, and .44, but none that would fit in my possibles bag. I'm in. Let me know where to send the cash, I lost the addy I sent the mousegun cylinder to.

Busyhands94
January 25, 2013, 12:59 AM
Levi, with 3-1/2 hours of labor, your price sounds reasonable.... can you include postage with that (ie, $45 postpaid)?

My budget is already blown for this payday so I'll have to wait until the end of the month.

Steve, I'll make ya' a deal. How about half price shipping? I could use a $5 flat rate box and only charge half if that sounds fair enough.

BHP FAN, I'll be sure to make another one over the weekend and I will shoot a PM to your inbox when it's been created! :)

Note: If you are a veteran whether active duty or retired you get a $5 discount.
However If you're a member of congress the price is double. ;)

BHP FAN
January 25, 2013, 03:42 AM
USN, HTFN, 1976 to 1980 ''Tin Can'' man aboard a Guided Missile Destroyer...Thanks!

swathdiver
January 25, 2013, 12:05 PM
USN, HTFN, 1976 to 1980 ''Tin Can'' man aboard a Guided Missile Destroyer...Thanks!

Which one?

HUnter58
January 26, 2013, 08:41 AM
Not small and compact, I have one of these. Very nice quality.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BRAND-NEW-BLACKPOWDER-CAP-BALL-CYLINDER-LOADER-/170980466691?_trksid=p2047675.m1850&_trkparms=aid%3D222002%26algo%3DSIC.FIT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D11%26meid%3D5148007069324530855%26pid%3D100011%26prg%3D1005%26rk%3D1%26sd%3D170964615635%26

BHP FAN
January 27, 2013, 12:17 AM
DDG 19 ''Ratty Tatty'' Tattnal, named after the Flag Officer of the CSS Virginia, who ordered it burned in an attempt to keep it out of yankee hands...

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://fivekiller1n0.tripod.com/images/ddg19.jpg&imgrefurl=http://fivekiller1n0.tripod.com/&h=607&w=838&sz=83&tbnid=HiCT0Gj-Bufi6M:&tbnh=91&tbnw=126&prev=/search%3Fq%3Duss%2Btattnall%2Bddg-19%26tbm%3Disch%26tbo%3Du&zoom=1&q=uss+tattnall+ddg-19&usg=__Oe8XszhwiWPkXn6DMgcKdwaPWqA=&docid=nEb_nCJRrPLseM&hl=en&sa=X&ei=IbgEUen3DMeoqgG1lYH4Dw&ved=0CDoQ9QEwAQ&dur=5829

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Josiah_Tattnall

flahipneck
January 27, 2013, 08:19 AM
Nice little one for the .44 1858 Remmies, 51 navy, 60 army. http://www.cabelas.com/product/Shooting/Black-Powder/Black-Powder-Accessories|/pc/104792580/c/104701680/sc/104218380/Revolver-Cylinder-Loading-Stand/753165.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse%2Fshooting-black-powder-black-powder-accessories%2F_%2FN-1100207%2FNs-CATEGORY_SEQ_104218380%3FWTz_l%3DSBC%253BMMcat104792580%253Bcat104701680&WTz_l=SBC%3BMMcat104792580%3Bcat104701680%3Bcat104218380

BHP FAN
January 27, 2013, 05:03 PM
I really like those, I have two, one with a .36 plunger, one with a .44 plunger, but they don't fit in my possibles bag, and they don't make one in .31. I sent a design for a quick caliber change modification to Alessandro Pietta, and he wrote back [basically] 'nice...but simpler is better...'

swathdiver
January 28, 2013, 12:48 AM
DDG 19 ''Ratty Tatty'' Tattnal, named after the Flag Officer of the CSS Virginia, who ordered it burned in an attempt to keep it out of yankee hands...

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://fivekiller1n0.tripod.com/images/ddg19.jpg&imgrefurl=http://fivekiller1n0.tripod.com/&h=607&w=838&sz=83&tbnid=HiCT0Gj-Bufi6M:&tbnh=91&tbnw=126&prev=/search%3Fq%3Duss%2Btattnall%2Bddg-19%26tbm%3Disch%26tbo%3Du&zoom=1&q=uss+tattnall+ddg-19&usg=__Oe8XszhwiWPkXn6DMgcKdwaPWqA=&docid=nEb_nCJRrPLseM&hl=en&sa=X&ei=IbgEUen3DMeoqgG1lYH4Dw&ved=0CDoQ9QEwAQ&dur=5829

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Josiah_Tattnall
Thanks! I remember seeing her a couple of times in the 1980s at Port Everglades and in Mayport right after Desert Storm. I did not know about her namesake, thanks again!

BHP FAN
January 30, 2013, 09:00 PM
deleted...

BHP FAN
January 30, 2013, 09:04 PM
Ha! Stationed in Mayport 1976-1980 aboard the one ship [Tattnal] the whole time, less time spent doing the 30 days as a trainer in 1979, TAD to the Meredith DD890, made in 1945 and used as a reserve training vessel.

swathdiver
January 31, 2013, 03:07 AM
Ha! Stationed in Mayport 1976-1980 aboard the one ship [Tattnal] the whole time, less time spent doing the 30 days as a trainer in 1979, TAD to the Meredith DD890, made in 1945 and used as a reserve training vessel.
Small world! I saw two old US Navy vets today in passing. One wearing a cover from the USS Randolph and the other from.. the Meredith! Talk about coincidences!

MCgunner
January 31, 2013, 07:51 AM
I actually tried my NAA on my .31 Remmy, no go, needs to be bigger. I got my eye on a press, though. http://www.blackdawgecartridge.com/catalog/bd_cyl_loader.html

http://www.blackdawgecartridge.com/images/CYL3.jpg

Right now, i'm using a cheap traditions. It works, but it's kinda cheesy.

http://images.cabelas.com/is/image/cabelas/s7_217560_842_01?rgn=0,0,547,417&scl=1.4394736842105262&fmt=jpeg&id=1PAQlDILBJXn4vMCXpQZBQ
http://www.cabelas.com/product/Shooting/Black-Powder/Black-Powder-Accessories|/pc/104792580/c/104701680/sc/104218380/Revolver-Cylinder-Loading-Stand/753165.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse%2Fshooting-black-powder-black-powder-accessories%2F_%2FN-1100207%2FNs-CATEGORY_SEQ_104218380%3FWTz_l%3DSBC%253BMMcat104792580%253Bcat104701680&WTz_l=SBC%3BMMcat104792580%3Bcat104701680%3Bcat104218380

Thing is, either one of these presses is a lot faster than the NAA press. But, I admit, the NAA press would be pretty easy to make for a larger gun.

BHP FAN
February 3, 2013, 12:09 AM
I have both of those presses. The Traditions is actually the better of the two. The table press has short brass jags that should be longer, one of my .44 Cylinders has a nice gouge in the metal at the mouth of the chamber, from the steel arm. I was trying a light load for a brasser. I guess the take-away for the table press is use either Wonder Wads, or full house loads.....

MCgunner
February 3, 2013, 09:48 AM
I use cornmeal filler. I find it more accurate than not using a filler, anyway. I like to think it'd prevent a chain fire from the front, too. I don't like using crisco. I guess it's the less gap the ball has to jump to the forcing cone that improves my accuracy. Cornmeal's cheap, wife has a cupboard ful, well, a good stash anyway. We fry a lot of fish. :D

I've yet to try the wads. They might help lessen fouling since they're lubed.

raa-7
February 5, 2013, 06:46 AM
Levi, I think you should leave the handles alone,without covering with anything.I think simple but effective is going to be the deal here.It will be alot easier for you too.jmho tho. I know that many will want one' including me. -ron-

MCgunner
February 5, 2013, 09:51 AM
This would be really dandy for the .31 IMHO. Probably have to build each one special for the gun as the cylinders are different lengths.

ofitg
February 8, 2013, 11:16 AM
Levi, the tool arrived in the mail. Thanks!

Busyhands94
February 8, 2013, 04:58 PM
Steve, it's good to hear it got it. Hope you enjoy it! :)

BHP FAN
February 9, 2013, 10:28 PM
I'd like a smallish one for my .31 Pocket Remmie....

http://i989.photobucket.com/albums/af11/hut-man/mouseguns.jpg

Busyhands94
February 9, 2013, 10:42 PM
Got it. :) I will be sure to make you one after I get home from church and shooting tomorrow. I reckon there should be enough sunlight left to fully complete that loader.
I also have an engraver, I can engrave your initials on there if you'd like me to.

BHP FAN
February 9, 2013, 10:57 PM
How about ''.31''?

Busyhands94
February 15, 2013, 04:30 PM
Will, I built you one and engraved it with the caliber as you wanted. :)
Here it is before I cleaned er' up and blued the steel.
http://i1178.photobucket.com/albums/x372/busyhands94/Photo0249_zps8fb3b7fd.jpg

The finished loader all blued and purdy! :D
http://i1178.photobucket.com/albums/x372/busyhands94/Photo0253_zps75156d94.jpg

The caliber is on there too.http://i1178.photobucket.com/albums/x372/busyhands94/Photo0252_zps807e071d.jpg

BHP FAN
February 15, 2013, 10:27 PM
saweet!

Busyhands94
February 15, 2013, 10:41 PM
I hope it's useful to you! :)

If anyone else wants a loader PM me, I've still got plenty of of aluminum! :D

BHP FAN
February 15, 2013, 11:52 PM
That's going right in my possibles bag!

Busyhands94
February 16, 2013, 12:27 AM
Will, I hope you love it! :)

BHP FAN
February 19, 2013, 11:16 PM
got it today! thank you, sir!

Busyhands94
February 20, 2013, 01:20 AM
You are welcome! Hope you enjoy! I threw in some of my monster homebrew conicals, make sure you blow some nice big fat smokin' holes in stuff with them! ;)

BHP FAN
February 20, 2013, 08:23 PM
That's the plan! I'm debating staining up some broom stick to make handle extensions. the way that it is now fits right in my possibles bag, or heck, my jeans back pocket, but some faux walnut handles might be pretty coolio, too...

BHP FAN
February 24, 2013, 01:23 PM
...and thanks for the antler palm saver. very ram rod friendly. I might even build a fire bow fire starter kit around it.

Busyhands94
February 24, 2013, 10:32 PM
Will, that's a measure for your .36! :) You can use it for that too, it's a multipurpose tool.

BHP FAN
February 25, 2013, 07:43 PM
Multi pupose, indeed! I actually have a little brass measure, but than antler is coolio!

Busyhands94
February 28, 2013, 05:35 PM
Glad you like it. Enjoy and keep sending voluminous amounts of lead downrange with lots of smoke! :D

BHP FAN
March 1, 2013, 11:41 PM
Have to go to the VA hospital in 'Frisco again next week, but when I get back, I'll be making some smoke!

If you enjoyed reading about "Kinda thinking out loud here... .44 version of an NAA loader for Remmies?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!