Clorox/Bleach on knives prolonged

PDA

Saakee
December 13, 2012, 01:43 AM
I wasn't paying attention and i stuck my knife [CRKT NIRK (http://www.crkt.com/Klecker-NIRK-Black-Blade-Black-Frame-Combo-Edge-Knife)] in what I thought was a mug of water before I cleaned fruit juices off it then completely spaced it and ended up leaving it in it for about17 hours now. Is the bleach gonna cause any issues with the coating or the metal?

If you enjoyed reading about "Clorox/Bleach on knives prolonged" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Il Duca
December 13, 2012, 06:50 AM
I would think that if it was going to cause a problem with anything, you'd already be able to tell.

Woody402
December 13, 2012, 10:24 AM
A few years ago I had a Spyderco knife can't remember for sure the model but I believe it was VG-10 steel that I used to clean a few ducks after a hunt. My wife put it in the sink in bleach water and less that an hour later it had rusted on the surface. Happened that quick. Didn't hurt the knife but it surprised me how fast it happen. I may be wrong on the steel. It was a newer steel that spyderco was using at the time.

hso
December 13, 2012, 10:26 AM
Rinse well, very well, and dry. Followup with light oil.

CWL
December 13, 2012, 01:58 PM
Well, any DNA you had on it is long gone.

lobo9er
December 13, 2012, 02:23 PM
if it was gonna rust it would have as has been said. other than that I cant see it causing to much trouble. How about a boiling water bath followed by a break free or what ever oil you like bath.

Sav .250
December 13, 2012, 04:09 PM
Do you see anything? no? Looks like your good to go.

Saakee
December 13, 2012, 09:14 PM
Well, any DNA you had on it is long gone.
the fruit police will never catch me now!

Okay, wasn't sure. When I worked as a prep-then-on-to-sous chef all my knives got bleach baths throughout the day but only a quick dip then run under hot water and wipe down but I'd never left them in longer than it took to put blade in, swish, maybe reach in and hand scrape off anything that wouldn't come off, then they were out of the bleach: just long enough to kill bacteria on blade before moving on to a different station or item to prep.

the blade looks fine and so does the black finish though I never realized just how dinged up this knife was until I was examining it this closely.

splattergun
December 14, 2012, 10:07 PM
remove

If you enjoyed reading about "Clorox/Bleach on knives prolonged" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!