45 primers

PDA

dab102999
December 13, 2012, 07:29 AM
I am gunna be aquiring my first 45 shortly and will be going down to stock up on some reloading supplies. I useually always by cheap factory ammo for plinking to build up my brass but my question is with small and large primers. Is there a general age of ammo where they switched or is there a general brand that will use large vs small? Or would i just be best to pick up a brick or two of large pistol primers? This would be the only caliber i currently load that would take large pistol so would hate to by a brick if my odds are not that many out there...ya know what i mean.

If you enjoyed reading about "45 primers" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
NeuseRvrRat
December 13, 2012, 07:56 AM
Is there a general age of ammo where they switched...

no, they still make .45 ACP with large and small primer pockets

...or is there a general brand that will use large vs small?

i have found small pockets in most of the ATK brass (Federal, Speer, Blazer headstamps) and Winchester NT headstamp. the rest i've seen has been large, but there may be others that are small.

Or would i just be best to pick up a brick or two of large pistol primers?

i'd say it's definitely easier to find the large pocket than the small. i seek out the small just so i don't have to keep LPP around and i've always been able to find plenty of brass on THR classifieds and other forums.

bds
December 13, 2012, 10:22 AM
At the ranges I shoot at, I am picking up about 95%+ large primer pocket 45ACP cases and 5% or less small primer pocket 45ACP cases on average.

Most factory ammunition still use large primers.

Unless you are specifically buying small primer pocket cases, I would buy large pistol primers.

Over time, if you accumulate large enough stock of small primer pocket cases, then you may want to consider using small primers or sell/trade them.

dab102999
December 13, 2012, 12:13 PM
Thanks for the info. Greatly appreciated.

mdi
December 13, 2012, 01:00 PM
If I were just reloading for my 45 ACPs, I would try to keep 2 to 3 thousand of each size, small and large (because I also load for 9mm, 38/357, .44 Mag/Spec., I keep as many as I can on hand; to date 2k LPM, 3K LP, 2K SP, 3K SPM, plus a goodly supply of rifle primers.). I keep my eyes open for any at my local supplier and purchase some when I got money in my pocket...:D

James2
December 13, 2012, 01:34 PM
so would hate to by a brick if my odds are not that many out there...

I would not hesitate to buy a brick of large for the 45 ACP. As others have said, plenty of brass with large primers. I see more of that than small.

If you enjoyed reading about "45 primers" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!