Your Favorite Duck

PDA

FITASC666
December 13, 2012, 07:04 PM
What is the best tasting duck meat out there? I'm sold to teal....Let the opinions roll!

If you enjoyed reading about "Your Favorite Duck" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Double_J
December 13, 2012, 07:26 PM
the one on the plate right then. I have not had any that I don't like, as long as it is not OVER-COOKED.

BP44
December 13, 2012, 07:28 PM
Well I really like a big fat farm duck, but out of the birds that frequent my neck of the marsh I would have to say pintail or teal. I won't turn my nose up at a smiling mallard though:eek: they eat as good as the rest of em.

buck460XVR
December 13, 2012, 07:50 PM
45 years ago as a kid when I set out to jump shoot ducks off the creek, or local potholes, my dad always told me if they weren't Mallards or Pintails, not to bother to bring them home. Since we raised Rouens and Pekins, wild duck was not really a delicacy. Same went for rabbits. After eatin' Californians and New Zealands, I never much cared for the Cottontails we used to shoot.

Ditchtiger
December 13, 2012, 08:07 PM
I know a fellow out here who shoots mergansers.
I've tried it and it's not bad smoked.

mike.h
December 13, 2012, 08:30 PM
teal, pretty sure part of the reason is because you have to work a little harder to get, verse a mallard or canvas back. ....who am I kidding, they're all good. ;)

Texan Scott
December 13, 2012, 08:34 PM
a l'orange :p

Liberty1776
December 13, 2012, 10:12 PM
Double J has it right. Don't overcook and they're all good... BUT, gotta admit my favorite is Wood Duck.

303tom
December 13, 2012, 10:13 PM
Mallard duck....................

ColtPythonElite
December 13, 2012, 10:15 PM
Cold Duck....

Patocazador
December 13, 2012, 10:15 PM
I think there's very little difference in the fabulous taste of a blue-winged teal and a redhead .. as long as they are both med-rare. I prefer the redhead just because they are larger (burp). ;)

gspn
December 14, 2012, 12:06 AM
Teal without a doubt. Mallards taste a little bit like liver to me...and I can't stand liver.

Everyone makes fun of spoonbill and calls them a trash bird around here. Out of curiosity i arranged a blind taste test one night. All the birds were sorted by type and marinated separately with the same type of dressing. Each was given a number. I cooked group number 1 first and allowed everyone to taste it and score it. Then I moved on to number 2 and so on.

Teal came in first, spoonbill was second. I don't recall how the others shook out but the fact that the widely dissed "trash bird" came in second was a real eye opener to me.

Blue68f100
December 14, 2012, 09:25 AM
Teal is my favorite.

WayBeau
December 14, 2012, 09:26 AM
I've always been partial to the Canvas backs. Mallards or Black ducks come in second.

drsfmd
December 14, 2012, 10:00 AM
I know a fellow out here who shoots mergansers.
I've tried it and it's not bad smoked.

Brave man. The advisory issued by our state is not to eat them at all, due to contaminants.

Sav .250
December 14, 2012, 10:08 AM
Hate to say it guys but the one duck I had was way to ..............greasy for me.

drsfmd
December 14, 2012, 03:20 PM
Hate to say it guys but the one duck I had was way to ..............greasy for me.

Was it a domestic or wild duck? Wild duck has very little fat.

MCgunner
December 15, 2012, 06:11 AM
Mallard. Don't get too many in the marsh. Of the marsh ducks, teal. My favorite waterfowl is sand hill crane.

MCgunner
December 15, 2012, 06:13 AM
BTW, spoonies have saved many a limit. :D They ain't that bad. I eat 'em.

pbrktrt
December 15, 2012, 09:01 AM
Wood Duck with Teal a close second.

josiewales
December 20, 2012, 03:22 PM
Duck Duck. My favorite kind! :D

JWF III
December 20, 2012, 07:29 PM
At the end of the fifth day, God tasted what he created, and had teal for dinner. He decided that he could have done a little better. Flavor was good, just a little on the small size. So, what the bible doesn't tell you, during the fifth night, God made the Specklebelly. That's when he decided everything was good.

Wyman

sdhunter
December 20, 2012, 07:53 PM
mallard injected with garlic butter marinade and deep fried in peanut oil, nothing better.

morcey2
December 20, 2012, 08:52 PM
Tape

anothernewb
December 20, 2012, 09:18 PM
Sorry I don't have an opinion to contribute to the thread, but for laughs: I have never eaten duck, but - I inherited a 12 ga when my father passed away- but would you believe it never occurred to me until this thread to actually use it for hunting. It's been sitting in the corner for a year as the "last line" home defense.

The sheer irony is that my father used it for 40 years duck hunting.

Next season I'm getting a stamp.

JC98
December 20, 2012, 09:20 PM
Wood duck, teal, mallard. Course I will eat whatever I can get my hands on :)

Trad Archer
December 21, 2012, 06:53 PM
Mallard, pintail, teal, woodies, and canvasbacks.

tahunua001
December 24, 2012, 04:29 PM
the one on the plate right then. I have not had any that I don't like, as long as it is not OVER-COOKED.

you ever eat merganser ducks? apparently they are quite foul(no pun intended)

a-sheepdog
December 25, 2012, 11:55 AM
I like woodies but on that same note, I relly enjoy goose as well. I am not real picky though, I have enjoyed all the ducks that I have shot.

MCgunner
December 27, 2012, 01:51 PM
Sorry I don't have an opinion to contribute to the thread, but for laughs: I have never eaten duck, but - I inherited a 12 ga when my father passed away- but would you believe it never occurred to me until this thread to actually use it for hunting. It's been sitting in the corner for a year as the "last line" home defense.

The sheer irony is that my father used it for 40 years duck hunting.

Next season I'm getting a stamp.

Well, firearms were for hunting for me long before I ever thought of 'em along the self defense vein. I've only bought handguns strictly for self defense and have bought a few handguns for hunting, deer and hogs, of course. .22s for squirrel. My dove gun, a 20 gauge Spartan coach gun, serves multiple duties and is my house gun loaded with 3 buck when not dove hunting.

That shotgun needs to have a steel shot compatible modified or I/C choked barrel. If it was made before 1980, that might not be the case. Don't shoot steel through a barrel not approved for such. One can legally hunt with an old shotgun and bismuth shells, but you'd better have a higher ammo budget than me. The stuff ain't cheap.

Hanshi
December 27, 2012, 04:48 PM
My favorite duck? Daffy.

d4xycrq
December 27, 2012, 04:58 PM
Best duck? Crispy Aromatic.

Ray

45crittergitter
December 29, 2012, 09:57 PM
+1 for Teal, with Woody a close second.

Pistol Ranch
January 3, 2013, 02:39 PM
Another teal voter here..

If you enjoyed reading about "Your Favorite Duck" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!