Question about Hornady LnL case feeder

PDA

SC_Dave
December 13, 2012, 08:53 PM
I'm thinking of getting one. Do they work well on 9mm? Pros? Cons?
Thanks, David

If you enjoyed reading about "Question about Hornady LnL case feeder" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Waldog
December 13, 2012, 09:23 PM
I've got a case LNL case feeder. I load 9mm, 40, 45ACP, 38/357, 44Mag, 223, 308, 30.06 The case feeder directions are terrible. Some complain that the case feeder it is noisy. I find it no more so, than any other case feeder I have used, including BLUE ones. I did encounter a few problems that seem to be common. Small 9mm cases, when they drop on to the shell plate, would occasionally bounce off. Also, the opening at the top bucket it too wide and small cases would drop side-ways and jamb the feed chute. I made two minor modifications and now my LNL case feeder works perfectly.

1) To prevent cases from bouncing off the shell plate I found a piece of THIN, THIN, about 1/16" thick PVC. This is not WATER pipe. I found it at Lowes. The pictures are self explanitory:
http://i998.photobucket.com/albums/af107/Waldog/DSCN5569.jpg

http://i998.photobucket.com/albums/af107/Waldog/DSCN5572.jpg

http://i998.photobucket.com/albums/af107/Waldog/DSCN5571.jpg

2) I used a thin piece of roof flashing to cover about 1/2" of the right side of opening on the bucket. Cut to fit and install with 1/4" long sheet metal screw.
http://i998.photobucket.com/albums/af107/Waldog/photocopy_zps2ce103d9.jpg

http://i998.photobucket.com/albums/af107/Waldog/photo_zps2b0056eb.jpg

Crunchy Frog
December 13, 2012, 09:47 PM
I added one to my LNL and it works pretty well. I mostly load .38 Special with a fair amount of .45 ACP. Both take the large pistol case feeder plate (this is the plate that sits inside the hopper) and that's the only plate I have.

The 9mm uses the small pistol feeder plate but I tried my large plate and it fed the nines.

I followed Waldog's suggestion with the thin wall PVC; a nice trick. Now I have to figure out what I'm going to do with the remaining length of pipe.

December 13, 2012, 11:45 PM
I used a thin piece of roof flashing to cover about 1/2" or the right side of opening on the bucket.

I did the same thing when I bought mine last year except I used a piece of an old credit cart and taped it in place. It sure made a big difference. The case feeder works great.

119er
December 14, 2012, 12:07 AM
I haven't tried any of the tricks above but I love mine. You'll learn its personality as you go. I've probably loaded around 4000 9mm so far and it is the only caliber I have that problem with and it has jammed up the chute/funnel a few times. I know it happened when it starts raining cases on my press. I get so used to my pace and the motor constantly running that I don't notice it with everything else I'm paying attention to.

Blue68f100
December 14, 2012, 09:35 AM
I've used one for 4 yrs now and it works fine for 9mm. The mods Waldog posted are very good and should come as factory. I have done the same but not near as nice looking as his. The biggest problem was hitting the pusher foot knocking them out of position. The shield prevents this from happening. The reduced opening makes sure they drop in straight and don't get cocked causing a dam. Vibration from a weak bench will cause more problems due to shaking. So a solid bench is a must with a brass feeder.

thump_rrr
December 14, 2012, 10:36 AM
I also used the PVC pipe mod as shown above by Waldog.
I used 3/4" CPVC which I had laying around.
I use my case feeder for 9mm, .40s&w, .45acp, .223 Rem, 7.62x39, and .308 Win.

My opinion is that a case feeder that works properly allows you to pay more attention to what you are actually doing which is why I like it.
I also added the bullet feeder which makes reloading pistol ammo so much more fun.

Spammy_H
December 14, 2012, 11:02 AM
Waldog - besides making a great mod, those are excellent up-close pics!

I'm just getting started with my LnL and will probably get a case feeder at some point, so I appreciate the post. I always appreciate the personal mods / tweaks people make to their equipment that I can learn from.

Uncle Richard
December 14, 2012, 11:51 AM
Don’t regret my purchase. I load a lot of 40sw and the LnL requires a specific drop tube funnel, which did not come with my feeder when purchased a year ago; however, that may have changed. Contacted Hornady CS and they sent it to me at no cost.

I recommend it. Works fine and speeds up production.

When loading small cases like 380, they have a tendency to bounce off. I plan to implement Waldogs modifications.

Johnnymg
December 24, 2012, 02:32 PM
My LnL case feeder works great with 40 S&W and terrible with 9mm. The main problem is the case tips and jams due to the (slightly bulged) primer dragging over the retention spring. I've seen similar complaints on youtube/forums. Other than rigging up an additional guide there isn't a standard adjustment that can fix this problem.

JohnG

tightgroup tiger
December 24, 2012, 06:50 PM
I had a post like this on here about3 months ago. I did buy one and don't regret it at all.

I load nothing but 9mm on my LNL-AP. My case feeder works fantastic after I did few things to it.

The only problem it had was the shells tripping going into the shell plate. Out of the first 800 I had two jam at the top. I would reach up and pop it with my finger and it goes back to work.

Timing the case shuttle to the shell plate can be a little tedious but it isn't that bad.

It took me about 1 1/2 hrs to install it, and I happened to be off work the week it came in so I took pretty much two days of that week to play with it and tune it in because I modified the case shuttle on mine.

Someone in my post suggested glueing a piece of leather on the bottom of the case shuttle to lower the pushing point of shuttle on the case. I had no leather so I put a 1/8 skirt of masking tape around the bottom of it and poured it full of JB weld, (why I took two days to tune it in), left it cure and filed it into shape so that it is almost touching the shell plate on the press when over lapping the shell plate when all the way in. That may sound like an overkill but I had nothing else to do.

I also noticed that the edges of the groove the shell retaining spring were really sharp so I took a really fine whet stone and stoned down the groove where the case slides into the shell plate. I then took off the shell plate and worked it over with the stone to take off burs and wired edges. It had more than a few.

I didn't notice these when feeding buy hand.

All and all I spend a very little amount of time doing a modification that may or may not have really needed to be done, but it sure didn't hurt.

That case feeder was the best improvement for that press I could have bought.
I would recommend one to anybody as long as they load enough to justify it, or have arthritis really bad.

I use my case feeder for depriming my 9mms before giving them a bath. I can deprime on it at around 22 cases a minute with out even working the press hard. That's about the speed you see the Dillon 1050 supers with auto-drive running at, not that fast, they just don't stop.

I'm loading around 500 cycles and hours.

You do have a good learning curve coming your way with intructions that were written for first style of this press that came out. In other words the instructions are very obsolete unless you have a press with a serial number before 7000.

I work on machinery for a living so i really didn't use the instuctions for anything other than the pictures.

Hope this help somehow.

If you enjoyed reading about "Question about Hornady LnL case feeder" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!