6.5 Swede Deer cartridge advice

PDA

jrdolall
December 14, 2012, 11:23 AM
I got my "new" Swede drilled and tapped and mounted a Leupold Var-X II on it. Just got it back from the smith and it is sighted in using the Privi ammo I picked up locally. Don't ask what it was because the box went to the smith and didn't come back. I need to get my hunting ammo purchased and zero using the ammo I will hunt with. I can pick it up at Academy if they have any or order online.
Any real world experience that would recommend a particular manufacturer or bullet type? Alabama Whitetail deer and maybe Montana Lopes would be the only targets. I have plenty of hunting guns and this is just another for the collection but I like my rifles to be ready to hunt when I want to use them.
I shot the gun a few times using the Prive and iron sights and it is a sweet shooter. 1918 manufacture but sproterized.

If you enjoyed reading about "6.5 Swede Deer cartridge advice" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Kachok
December 14, 2012, 12:52 PM
That cheap Prvi 139gr SP ammo shoots really well in my Sweed, though I normaly hunt with my handloads I have used Prvi once before. One shot kill at about 90yd, broke the onside shoulder going in and punched though destroying the heart and lungs and still had enough umph to leave a silver dollar sized exit wound. I would not hesetate to use again in a pinch.

Smokey Joe
December 14, 2012, 02:43 PM
Jr Dolall--The few times I haven't used handloads in my Swede, it has liked the Federal blue box ammo--that's the cheaper stuff, not the higher-falutin' Federal red box ammo.

Same ammo did a fine job killing one deer, IIRC. Don't recall what bullet Federal uses for that ammo, but whatever it was, worked.

lhead71
December 14, 2012, 06:51 PM
If you want to shoot it at modern pressures/velocities, you have to buy Norma or Lapua ammo. Saying that, you don't need it for killing deer. Use a good modern bullet and you will be fine.

Kachok
December 14, 2012, 09:35 PM
I would not even say that you need "modern" bullets. 140gr class 6.5mm tend to have fantastic penatration even in old cup and core bullets. Remington Core-Lokts, Winchester Power Points, Federal blue box, or Prvi SP should all work fine for deer, I have several different loads for my 6.5x55 none of them use fancy bonded, partition, or all copper construction, they simply don't need it for deer class game. That said if you wanted to use premium bullets there is nothing wrong with that either.

T.R.
December 15, 2012, 10:12 AM
My wife hunts with a custom Browning in 6.5mm Swede. Nosler Partition 140 grain bullets have felled white tails, mulies, antelope, and elk. None got away.

TR

If you enjoyed reading about "6.5 Swede Deer cartridge advice" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!