What exactly is THR material

PDA

JBrady555
December 14, 2012, 01:34 PM
Hello I really enjoy reading in the forum. I have learned so much here but also I see alot of discussions closed prematurely for "not being THR material" or for not being appropriate to the mission of the THR. I understand closing threads when filled with bickering and fighting, but many times civilized conversations are closed very quickly and I just don't understand why. Where can I read more about the mission of THR, so that I can understand why we can't discuss some things.

If you enjoyed reading about "What exactly is THR material" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
silicosys4
December 14, 2012, 01:37 PM
http://www.thehighroad.org/announcement.php?a=20

Sam1911
December 14, 2012, 01:44 PM
First place to check is right at the top of the screen: http://www.thehighroad.org/announcement.php?a=20

If it doesn't have anything to do with guns, shooting, RKBA, self-defense, hunting, or a few other very closely related topics, it isn't a "High Road" discussion topic. We don't have a "general interest" or "current events" section -- and that's on purpose. Want to discuss cars, sports, trucks, cigars, movies, TV, sports, the stock market, sports, food, your health, sports, history, economics, marriage, whiskey, and sports -- with "like minded" folks? Great! Just don't do it HERE. ;)

If it is simply repeating "news of the world" -- especially "bad news of the world" -- it isn't a THR thread. Or, as we say, just because a gun was mentioned in a story doesn't make it "gun related" for THR purposes. We're here to discuss responsible, lawful gun ownership, so bad people doing bad things with guns isn't prima fasce a THR thread. (Now, if you want to bring up a discussion topic in the S,T,&T forum about how to react to a certain scenario, that's fine.)

Also, political threads are very tightly regulated. It is hard to dissect gun rights topics from politics some times, but general "liberal-vs.-conservative" and "Dem-vs-Rep" threads are always off-topic.

And then there are nuances of what we're about that are hard to put firmly into text. The more threads you read and participate in the more you'll find you grasp "what is THR."

Robert
December 14, 2012, 01:44 PM
THR has a very focused mission, that being to provide the highest level of civil discussion pertaining to the 2nd Amendment and the RKBA. There are many subjects that would be fun to talk about but do not meet the standard, and just because a news story or event mentips a firearm does not mean it is on topic either.

THR is not a news wire for events outside of the stated mission.

JBrady555
December 14, 2012, 02:04 PM
First place to check is right at the top of the screen: http://www.thehighroad.org/announcement.php?a=20

If it is simply repeating "news of the world" -- especially "bad news of the world" -- it isn't a THR thread. Or, as we say, just because a gun was mentioned in a story doesn't make it "gun related" for THR purposes. We're here to discuss responsible, lawful gun ownership, so bad people doing bad things with guns isn't prima fasce a THR thread. (Now, if you want to bring up a discussion topic in the S,T,&T forum about how to react to a certain scenario, that's fine.)

I guess the gun related news topics is what I wish we could discuss more. But I'm here to play by the rules so I'll leave it at that. Thank you for the clarification.

Sam1911
December 14, 2012, 02:20 PM
Ahh, well, there's ways to discuss things like that usually. We can discuss something from an ST&T angle if you can present a question to be answered or a theory to propose.

Or we can discuss a law or a principle that relates to something that happened.

What we don't want is simple repetition of news so everyone can chime in about how bad it all is, or how we aught to hang 'em high, or "well, now they're gonna come for our gunz!" That isn't productive. It doesn't teach anything and doesn't help us plan for anything. And, most of the time there's such an incredible flurry of wrong and just plain BAD information in the first day or two after some "newsworthy" event, that we just don't want it tossed around here until concrete information is forthcoming.

JBrady555
December 14, 2012, 03:03 PM
thanks sam, that was a good explaination.

If you enjoyed reading about "What exactly is THR material" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!