Dillon 550B question

PDA

Hotshot10
December 15, 2012, 10:10 AM
I was reloading .357 Magnums last night on my 550B after changing the dies and powder from my .38 Special settings. About halfway through a batch of 200, I noticed some powder (about two or three grains total, maybe) on the ground and around the bottom of the main shaft. I wiped it up, thinking that I might have spilled some when pouring the 2400 into the powder measure tube.

By the time I finished last night, the powder had mysteriously appeared again. I can't figure out how it is getting there. I thought that perhaps I had deprimed a case without repriming, but none of my cases were like that. The only irregularity that I had was with the .357 cases sticking in the expander on the way down, but the cases were brand new and tend to do that anyway.

Any thoughts on what might be causing this?

If you enjoyed reading about "Dillon 550B question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Kevin Rohrer
December 15, 2012, 11:58 AM
Two or three granules? Not to worry, unless, like you said, there are cases w/o primers.

Static electricity could have collected them in the powder bar or powder measure tube and eventually fell out. Or, if you cycled the press too aggressively, they could have vibrated out of a case.

bobinoregon
December 15, 2012, 11:58 AM
my guess would be if it's jerking the machine on the way down that it's probably shaking a little loose powder out of the measure. You probably don't see the same thing loading shells that dont hang up do you? Only other thing I can think of is not having the powder die adjusted quite high enough.

cfullgraf
December 15, 2012, 12:09 PM
The slide bar powder measures like on Dillon presses will leak a little powder as they cycle. Bits of powder will get between the housing and the bar and work its way out.

dap22
December 15, 2012, 12:15 PM
No doubt a silly question but........is your 550 secured tightly to your bench and is your bench stable?

Hotshot10
December 15, 2012, 12:38 PM
No doubt a silly question but........is your 550 secured tightly to your bench and is your bench stable?

Yes on both counts. The press is bolted to the bench and the bench is bolted to the wall.

my guess would be if it's jerking the machine on the way down that it's probably shaking a little loose powder out of the measure. You probably don't see the same thing loading shells that dont hang up do you?

I haven't run any used cases through there yet. I'm going to clean some today and try it again tonight.

The slide bar powder measures like on Dillon presses will leak a little powder as they cycle. Bits of powder will get between the housing and the bar and work its way out.

I did not know that.

Thanks, all. I'm going to run it again tonight and see what happens.

redneck2
December 15, 2012, 04:36 PM
Depends on how full the cases are, but sometimes just cycling the shell holder makes some powder jump out. I've had the same thing loading pistol. Try turning the shell plate a little more gently.

kelbro
December 15, 2012, 04:53 PM
Mine does the same thing sometimes and it's on 357. What I have started doing is to insert the bullet after the powder drop and before rotating the shellplate to the seater station. Powder quit jumping out.

Hotshot10
December 15, 2012, 05:21 PM
Hmm. I did not think about that. ^ It makes sense, though, because it only happened when I was loading .357s, not the .38s. I'll try placing the bullet in the case before turning the shell holder and turning the shell holder more gently. Thanks.

Cheetos
December 15, 2012, 07:24 PM
I have noticed some powder on the shellplate when I load 9mm and figured out that some of the powder can come out of the case when turning the shellplate. Being more careful and turning it more slowly usually stops it.

scotty
December 15, 2012, 09:30 PM
I noticed the same thing when loading .357 on my 550. Loading full power .357's with magnum powders results in the cases being pretty full. Full enough that the powder can come up past the tip of the powder funnel when the case is belled and powder is dispensed causing some spillage when the case is withdrawn from the die. In addition to what the others said, lowering the ram more gradually can keep the spillage to a minimum.

rfwobbly
December 16, 2012, 01:31 PM
I think it's the powder jumping out of the cases too. You're too rough on the shell holder rotation. Maybe you need a female reloading assistant ? :rolleyes:

► If the powder measure slide bar is leaking, then Dillon makes an extra tight version for use with Accurate No5 and No7 which they apparently hand out free upon diagnosis of this issue.

;)

If you enjoyed reading about "Dillon 550B question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!