19th century derringer with "B" "M" markings on the frame

PDA

Hapworth
December 16, 2012, 11:44 PM
Trying to determine the maker of a 19th century derringer, typical Colt Thuer #3 clone, though it more closely resembles the Marlin version with the Ballard-style barrel latch.

No markings save for serial number, but etched on the grip frame are the letters "B" and "M" in the same type as the serial number.

Anyone know who might've made this piece?

If you enjoyed reading about "19th century derringer with "B" "M" markings on the frame" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Jim K
December 17, 2012, 12:20 AM
That general type of pistol was made by at least a half dozen companies in large quantities. The guns were sold cheaply and marking stamps were expensive, plus most makers did not have enough pride in the product to want their names associated with it.

If you post a picture, maybe someone with more info can identify your gun.

Jim

Hapworth
December 17, 2012, 09:18 AM
I've looked at several iterations from the various known makers of the time. The piece in question is virtually identical in appearance to the Marlin pictured in the link below:

http://media.liveauctiongroup.net/i/9487/10488589_1.jpg?v=8CDD7E412A61EA0

I'm hoping the "B" and "M" stamps on the frame might be a tell-tale sign for someone...

Jim K
December 17, 2012, 09:54 PM
Marlin guns were clearly marked; other makes had no markings. The letters on your gun mean nothing to me and very likely will mean nothing to anyone else. They could be inspection markings from the factory, or an owner's initials, or a property mark from some organization that owned it (Boston and Maine Railroad?). As I said, someone else may know, but I would not hold out a lot of hope for further information.

Jim

Hapworth
December 18, 2012, 12:53 PM
My thoughts, too, but worth a try. Many thanks, Jim.

If you enjoyed reading about "19th century derringer with "B" "M" markings on the frame" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!