Food for thought. Explanation for sight, ammo weight inconsistency?

PDA

19-3Ben
December 17, 2012, 04:11 PM
One thing I've noticed is that most fixed sight .38s and .357s tend to work best with 158gr loads. It seems to the "the standard weight."

In looking for good defensive ammo in .38spl there are few loads in that weight range. They are mostly in the 110-130gr. range.

It seems bizarre to make self defense ammo that does not shoot to point of aim with standard fixed sights.
On the other side of that coin, if ammo makers want to use lighter bullets (presumably to keep velocity up for more reliable expansion, and to get higher energy numbers for the marketing departments), why don't revolver manufacturers change the height of the front sights so that the standard POA=POI becomes approx 125gr.?

I mean, either the ammo manufacturers should change, or the gun manufacturers should, but having two different standards here really like a recipe for badness.

Just food for thought.

A little background- the reason this came up is because I was recently testing out my Taurus 85. It shoots high with 158gr loads, but is spot on with 125gr loads. I was actually kinda pleasantly surprised, as I had anticipated the old "any defensive ammo you want will shoot to POA so long as it's the FBI load."

If you enjoyed reading about "Food for thought. Explanation for sight, ammo weight inconsistency?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
MikeJackmin
December 17, 2012, 04:32 PM
Perhaps this is done because its easier to file the front sight down to accommodate lighter bullets, than to raise it for heavier ones?

Or maybe they just haven't given the matter much thought since the 1970s...

9mmepiphany
December 17, 2012, 05:27 PM
Both of the above points make complete sense.

Also remember that there isn't a current Standard Range to check zero. Most customers might be stunned to discover that their revolvers are zeroed at 25 or 50 yards

Missionary
December 17, 2012, 08:06 PM
Greetings
As far as self defense goes... In a real self-defense situation of 10 feet and less.. how much difference does that front sight height really make?
I realise we like to get all our ducks in a row for that perfect group cluster. The average homeowner and the average CC carrier is not real concerned about whether his present load is hitting 2 inches high at 10 feet or two inches low. Granted at 10 yards and farther the impact gets much more evident. But at 10 yards am I really in need to be "filling my hand"?
At 30 feet I would like to think there is some object in a parking lot or downtown situation I can use for cover. Least that is what I understand I should be contemplating.

If you enjoyed reading about "Food for thought. Explanation for sight, ammo weight inconsistency?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!