Cousin Earl's Krag

PDA

RPRNY
December 17, 2012, 06:58 PM
A recent purchase of a sporterized Persian Mauser was aptly described by a forum regular (my apologies for forgetting who it was) as "looks like that one was done by Bubba's older and wiser cousin about 1964". So, the latest addition to what I am now calling the "Cousin Earl Collection" of mid-Sixties era Fajen/Bishop sporterized military rifles is my first Krag:

http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa272/LRDG/Krag/pix106592084.jpg

http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa272/LRDG/Krag/pix026959664.jpg

I'm excited because I'm no fan of recoil, like the 30-40 ballistics for Northeast hunting, and have heard so much about the butter smooth Krag bolt.

If you enjoyed reading about "Cousin Earl's Krag" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
stan rose
December 17, 2012, 07:39 PM
That is a very nice looking rifle. I too have a soft spot for the older well done sporters. Good luck with it.

WardenWolf
December 17, 2012, 08:12 PM
Very nice.

ridgerunner1965
December 18, 2012, 08:15 PM
thats prob the nicest krag sporter rifle ive ever seen.i enjoy seeing old military rifles like that turned into fine hunting rifles.i would definitely hunt with that rifle.

303tom
December 18, 2012, 08:43 PM
That is a good looking shooting iron you got there..............

RPRNY
December 18, 2012, 11:55 PM
Thanks. Not yet in my grubby little paws so I don't know if it's a shooter yet. Can atone recommend some good factory ammo to get started with before I buy dies and brass?

airedaleman
December 19, 2012, 12:55 AM
Handsome rifle. I'd try any factory ammunition I could get my hands on. It's not a caliber you'll find at Wally World, or most gun shops for that matter.

Looks like a Weaver N mount. Scope looks like a Weaver, too. Which one?

RPRNY
December 19, 2012, 09:52 AM
Weaver V9-II.

On ammo, I see HSM, Remington and Winchester all roughly the same 180gr at 2350 fps and then I see BVAC (Bitterroot Valley) 150 gr SP at 2600 fps. I have never heard of BVAC. Are they fly-by-night or a legit manufacturer? As I will likely buy and reload the brass, does anyone have any comments on BVAC brass?

Walkalong
December 19, 2012, 12:07 PM
I like it.

bannockburn
December 19, 2012, 12:07 PM
RPRNY

I just have to say that is one of the nicest and cleanest looking Krag sporters I have ever seen. Try going to ammosek.com for a really comprehensive listing for .30-40 Krag ammo availability.

RPRNY
December 19, 2012, 03:06 PM
I'm coming up with mixed info on ammo for the Krag. Chambered for the 200 gr RN and with a 1:10 twist rate, I would imagine it will prefer longer rather than shorter bullets and there seems to be a view that it doesn't feed spitzers well? I would have thought the Barnes TSX 180 gr spitzer would be a good place to start but I'm reading a lot of anti-spitzer pro-RN experience on the web.

Any experiences you may have would be most appreciated.

Oh, and where's Saxon Pig? I finally have a photo that almost rivals his presentations and I don't want him to come along with a better photo of his Krag(s)!! ;-)

SlamFire1
December 19, 2012, 03:47 PM
Interesting scope mount. I bought a stripped Krag action and wondered how I would build it into a rifle, have the irons but would much prefer a scope. Well lucky you.

The 30-40 round is an excellent round and the Krag action is positively the smoothest action I have ever played with.

I like the magazine box for a sporting rifle. Just open and drop them in. Too bad it is so expensive to make that it is only found on American and Norwegian service rifles.

Red October
December 19, 2012, 05:57 PM
I like it!
(Of course, I've got a Krag thread running around here some where.)
:)

RPRNY
December 19, 2012, 09:02 PM
SF and any other Krag owners - have you slugged your bore and come up with anything much larger than .309 diameter? I am now reading a lot about .310 - .312 diameters. I have a bore slug kit, so will do so. I will likely load 200 gr RN GC hard cast lead in this rifle and keep MV in the 1850 range. Need to read up on best powders with cast bullets in the Krag.

RPRNY
January 4, 2013, 12:58 PM
Picked up my Krag yesterday and what a treat!

An excellent little Fajen stock, and aftermarket barrel that slugs a true .308 and shows no sign of corrosive ammo use. The bolt is as smooth as molten butter and the magazine is tight. No visible stress signs. The safety works very well with the vintage Weaver V9 II scope - my chief criticism with which is the extremely fine and not very visible cross hairs. It is extremely light and if I can locate a vintage peep sight, I may revert to irons. I finally got an amazing deal on GB!

Now onto load development. Given the true .308 bore, I will likely shoot jacketed bullets although I will try some Lyman 311299 to see how they perform. Any thoughts or advice would be most welcome.

Vern Humphrey
January 4, 2013, 01:01 PM
I have a sporterized (or bubbaized) Krag. The original stock was cut down and cross-hatched (in lieu of a checkering tool). I like the gun though -- it has a cocking piece peep sight that would probably sell for as much as the gun itself.

Someday, I'm going to put a Boyd stock on it.

tahunua001
January 4, 2013, 01:03 PM
much nicer than the POS my Local pawnshop is trying to sell for $1900

If you enjoyed reading about "Cousin Earl's Krag" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!