..............dragoon..........?

PDA

the Black Spot
December 19, 2012, 10:26 AM
Looking at a armi San Marco model for $290 good condition. Is this about right on price?
Is the dragoon grip shorter than a walker?
Thanks

If you enjoyed reading about "..............dragoon..........?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
mic214
December 19, 2012, 11:21 AM
I think that is a great price! The used ones I have seen have been running around $350.00. I picked myself up a Uberti 3rd Model Dragoon a couple of months ago for $350.00.....

As for the grip size, I do believe that the Dragoon grip is a little smaller than a Walkers grip....

CraigC
December 19, 2012, 02:19 PM
I wouldn't pay that much for an ASM. My Uberti was only $350 a year ago. Right now the Uberti Walker is on sale at Cabela's for $339.

rondog
December 19, 2012, 02:26 PM
Look it over closely. Use a flashlight and a bore light, and cycle the cylinder through each position. Check for chamber alignment with the barrel on each chamber.

I used to have a Dragoon that someone traded me for a wrecked Ford van I had. I don't know who made it, but it came from Italy, and I wouldn't have loaded and fired that thing for any amount of money. Using a bore light and cycling the cylinder through every chamber, I was astonished to see that NONE of the chambers lined up cleanly with the barrel, NONE of them at ALL! I could see the cylinder wall on every chamber, and in different positions too. It wasn't a timing issue, it was a piss-poor machining and quality issue. Firing that thing would have shaved massive amounts of lead off of every ball, if it didn't just outright blow up to begin with.

I ended up giving the pistol to a photographer who did "Old West" portraits, with strict instructions that he was to NEVER attempt to fire that pig, or allow anyone else to try. I explained it very clearly how that cylinder was, and he swore that all he wanted it for was to use as a photo prop. And that's all that p.o.s. was good for.

Malachi Leviticus Blue
December 19, 2012, 02:30 PM
Seems on the high side of realistic
You can find them for less but that all depends on what it's worth to you and how long you want to look. Id expect a nice example to go for less than $250 on an auction site.

Foto Joe
December 20, 2012, 10:46 AM
As you've probably figured out by now, there are some folks out there who don't have much good to say about Armi San Marco, I'm not one of them.

Several years ago I gave $300 firm for an ASM 2nd Model Dragoon, what a wonderful gun!!! Mine actually has a Tiger Maple grip on it and is an excellent shooter. On the other hand, based on this experience I also picked up an ASM Walker the following year. The two guns although both made by ASM couldn't have been any more different, the Walker was very poorly made and gave me fits right up until I traded it off.

Simply have a good look at it and if possible pull it apart "before" you put out any fun chips. By the way, the maker of any particular Colt's pattern gun really has little to do with the end quality in my opinion. Some of the most problematic guns I've had were Uberti, both CB and Cartridge and some of the smoothest have been Pietta. There really is no way to judge a gun of the type we like simply by whos name is stamped on the barrel.

CraigC
December 20, 2012, 11:17 AM
There really is no way to judge a gun of the type we like simply by whos name is stamped on the barrel.
It's a pretty good indication and there are some justifiable generalizations to be made. There are many issues that can be ruled out with a thorough inspection but others, like those ASM is notorious for, that cannot. One must go by reputation alone. You pay your money, you take your chances. Anybody can turn out a turd and anybody can turn out a gem. Some are just a bigger risk than others.

the Black Spot
December 24, 2012, 07:53 AM
Don't suppose someone could post a back to back pic of a walker and dragoon to show handle differences? Thanks

arcticap
December 24, 2012, 09:11 AM
The Walker and Dragoon essentially have the same size grip with there being only a small difference in the transition at the top of the grip frame.
There may also be a very slight dimensional difference between the diifferent makers.
See the comparison photo posted by mykeal in this thread:

GRIP COMPARISON - dragoon vs walker

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=611063&highlight=grip+comparison

If you enjoyed reading about "..............dragoon..........?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!