About the "Rallying Point" forum

PDA

Preacherman
March 4, 2004, 10:07 AM
Hello, all THR'ers. This new forum is in response to a request from Sodapop, who asked whether we could have a single location to post information about social occasions, range days, get-togethers, etc.

Thanks for the idea, Sodapop: your wish is our command (sort of! :D ). Here's a forum for that purpose. Please post here for all social occasions, and check this forum periodically for events in your area.

Enjoy!

If you enjoyed reading about "About the "Rallying Point" forum" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Combat-wombat
March 4, 2004, 12:59 PM
I'm not sure, though. It's a good idea, but...

I usually just hang out in General and L&P. Occasionally, I'll check non-firearms and rifle country. Rarely do I go on other forums.
I think people will check this forum much less, therefore missing announcements of shoots in their area. I say we just keep it to General Discussion.

March 4, 2004, 01:27 PM
How about if they call you personally at home and/or you cell phone to see if the time and dates suit you and then give you either a reminder call or a ride to the shoot ? :D

cordex
March 4, 2004, 01:48 PM
Wombat,
I usually just check the "view new posts" section, so floats don't help me. I think we should institute 444's idea of phoning individuals is a good one. Maybe get Oleg's Herald Network in order.

Let me get my voice into shape here for a moment.

Mememememememeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

;)

Zak Smith
March 4, 2004, 02:26 PM
Combat-wombat,

I used to browse TFL that way, but then I switched to always going straight to the
"View New Posts" (http://www.thehighroad.org/search.php?s=&action=getnew) link and just see what's changed since I was here last. This way I pick up posts in forums I wouldn't otherwise frequent.

-z

Andrew Rothman
March 4, 2004, 03:36 PM
Sounds familiar - like a message I sent to Oleg in January:New forum area idea
At the Minneapolis meet yesterday, we were brainstorming about how to better manage planning similar events.

It is a challenge -- and a hack -- to keep bumping to the top a regional event of little or no interest to most users.

What we came up with was this: a "regional" forum, under Social Situations or maybe venues.

Such a forum could have posts preceded by a geographic designation, like "MN: THR Shoot - January 24"

I imagine that besides coordination of get-togethers, it would be a good place to talk about local gun shops, ranges, etc.

Going further, there could be sub-forums for geographic areas, such as "Nashville," "North Central," "Texas" or "Pacific Northwest." But that's probably more granular than you'd like to do at this time.

Thanks for taking a look at this idea.

Oh, and when in April will you be in Minneapolis? We'll want to schedule a shoot around then.

Matt

Glad it's getting some traction.

SodaPop
March 4, 2004, 04:06 PM
I usually just check the "view new posts" section

There are tons of people here that do that.

Just use your signature like I do and others will find this forum. Think of your signature as an airplane that flys over the beach saying, "Eat at Joe's". :)

I've met 100 or more TFL members from hanging around the Lock and Load forum. Its time to build upon a new group of brothers and sisters at THR.:)

OEF_VET
March 4, 2004, 06:08 PM
Pete,

I like the idea. Maybe some people need to either startusing the 'View New Posts' option, or, Heaven forbid, change their routine and experience the rest of the site. You never know, you might actually learn something new or gain an interest in a new subject. Branch out, get off of your Gen. Gun Disc. couches and see the rest of the world.

Here's to hoping it proves as popular an idea as I'd like to see.

Frank

hso
March 5, 2004, 01:38 AM
Thanks 'Pop, good idea. Kinda like the Weekend section of the paper to find out what's to do.

Lightsped
March 5, 2004, 12:16 PM
This is a great idea. I had requested this a long time ago. No one showed much interest then.

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=37831

Anyways, glad to have the Rally forum now. Thanks

SodaPop
March 6, 2004, 11:12 PM
Another request.......................

Can we have a BASS PLAYER forum?

Pretty please?:)
http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=62613&highlight=bass+player

ksnecktieman
March 18, 2004, 01:30 AM
I like this idea. Maybe as it develops we can have a thread for each state, and get to know who is in our area?

I also start by going to new posts, but I find I miss a lot that way too. Some days there are a lot more posts than I have time to check out, and posts will slip past me that I have interest in.

cidirkona
April 1, 2004, 03:14 PM
Wow, I don't know what's cooler - people getting together, or the pics they bring back!! Either way, I love this forum.

-Colin

If you enjoyed reading about "About the "Rallying Point" forum" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!