Impact on competitive shooting because as a result of current events

PDA

Queen_of_Thunder
December 21, 2012, 11:41 AM
What do you think? Impact or no impact.

If you enjoyed reading about "Impact on competitive shooting because as a result of current events" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
mgmorden
December 21, 2012, 12:03 PM
I'm confused as to the question. What do you mean by "trimmings"?

Queen_of_Thunder
December 21, 2012, 07:26 PM
This blasted phone and it's predictive technology changing words. Arghhhhhh!

How about current situation instead of trimmings.

9mmepiphany
December 21, 2012, 07:28 PM
You mean like the garland and the tinsel we had for our X-mas match last year?

9mmepiphany
December 21, 2012, 07:29 PM
How about current situation instead of trimmings.
I'm expecting to see more females at our monthly IDPA matches

...especially after seeing Forensic Psychiatrist Dr. Michael Welner on the View this morning

mgmorden
December 21, 2012, 10:47 PM
I'm not sure. IDPA already has 10 and 8 round limits for their divisions. You likely won't see much change there regardless of if any legislation passes.

Most Steel Challege stages you've bombed if you ever go over 10-rounds, so even in the divisions where its allowed I doubt anything will have much effect there.

USPSA - if a mag cap ban is put into place it'll effect some divisions. Revolver, Single-stack, Limited-10, and Production would be unchanged (and the 10-round limited in place for L10 and Prod were put in place due to the last AWB and states that are still living under it). Limited and Open in USPSA would be the most affected. Most limited guys shoot ~20 round mags and Open guys are shooting 30+. If a new 10-round mag limit were to pass, I'd expect that those would continue unchanged for a while, but after a few years barring any repeals or whatnot I'd expect Open to be capped at 10-rounds and Limited to merge w/ Limited-10 just to keep new shooters from being at a disadvantage.

The various flavors of 3-gun would probably be the most effected. Most of the rifles those guys use would end up being classified as "assault weapons" and they also mostly use mags greater than 10-rounds. My guess is that eventually they'd end up moving to a 10-round format too and most people would end up finding something semi-auto that escapes the ban.

Overall, while it'll hurt, if anything does pass I'm sure we'll make do. I certainly ain't gonna stop shooting regardless.

jmorris
December 21, 2012, 11:21 PM
The AWB and 10 round mag limit didn't effect open or limited for 10 years.

mgmorden
December 21, 2012, 11:55 PM
The AWB and 10 round mag limit didn't effect open or limited for 10 years.

Yes but there was a known sunset provision in place then. Basically, there was hope that things would get back to normal assuming the ban was never renewed. If the new version has no such clause, I doubt they'll go that long again without adopting a more permanent rule solution. For people that started out as shooters they'll be equipped but it'll be offputting for new shooters for them to have divisions that they have to spend a fortune on old used magazines in order to compete. And if they make the transfer of hicaps illegal then I doubt the divisions would even stay for 5 years before being changed.

All in all its a bit moot though. I don't see any legislation making it pass the House right now. In 2014 if the Repubs lose their majority THEN we might have a little more to worry about.

What's really annoying though is even for Production 10-round mags suck - at least on the M&P. Its damn near impossible to get a full 10-round magazine to seat right with the slide down. The top bullet doesn't give enough resulting in you really having to push HARD to get a full mag to seat. 17-rounders downloaded to 10 have no such issue.

Jim Watson
December 22, 2012, 01:29 PM
The gunboards have more faith in the House Republicans than I do.
Most are go along to get along compromisers more interested in swapping votes for pet projects than listening to their constituents.

rskent
December 22, 2012, 05:22 PM
Impact or no impact.
If you shoot highpower service rifle with an AR ( I do ) you may have a problem.
If you shoot 3 gun matches with an AR you may have a problem.
If you hunt with an AR you may have a problem.

If you think that the people that are advocating an AWB are going to stop there, you definitely have a problem.

Jim Watson
December 22, 2012, 10:36 PM
We are now getting plans for "compulsory buy-backs a la Australia."

While I am sure that the antis would love that, even if it doesn't go through, they have the advantage that plenty of other repressive schemes would then sound "reasonable."

1SOW
December 23, 2012, 12:31 AM
I would not be surprised if mag capacities would be lowered dramatically and might extend into previous owner/users--ALL Mags..
I fear talk of "AUTOMATIC weapons" (with Automatic's NEW definition of self-feeding, being severely restricted. The affect on manufacture, development and supply including parts would be a very bad thing.
I fear such new laws would not have an expiration date, but would take full Congressional action to revoke.

If you enjoyed reading about "Impact on competitive shooting because as a result of current events" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!