Sig 220 24lbs spring in a 226?

PDA

Kachok
December 22, 2012, 01:15 AM
I am trying to beef up the recoil spring in my 226 for my rather potent 180gr 40cal Longshot handloads (1200fps!!) This load has no pressure signs on the primer or the brass but it throws the brass 20 yards and the slide is coming back rather hard. I cannot get a 24 lbs recoil spring in 226 40 cal but there are some listed for the 220 45 ACP which is basicly the same pistol in 45. Are these springs interchangable? I would think that the stiffer spring would extend the life of the pistols frame since the slide is not slamming back as hard.

If you enjoyed reading about "Sig 220 24lbs spring in a 226?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
rcmodel
December 22, 2012, 01:36 AM
my rather potent 180gr 40cal Longshot handloads (1200fps!!)Cease & Desist if you want your gun to live.

You are skating on thin ice right there my friend.

Recoil springs have nothing to do with frame life, as the damage is already done in slide velocity before the spring has finished saying to itself.
"OH SHI -- Excuse me.
I meant to say OH SHOOT!
He did pulled the trigger again!!

A recoil buffer might help some.

But shooting .40 180 grain bullets at 1,200 FPS in a handgun designed for 10mm instead of a .40 Short & Weak would help much more!

rc

Kachok
December 22, 2012, 01:53 AM
That is not a "hot" load that is published in Hodgdon though I am a bit faster given the longer barrel. The longshot powder is rather slow burning for the S&W so the pressures do not seem to be high. Like I said not pressure signs at all, but it feels more like a low end 44 mag then a 40. I load these for SD only and cycle them about once a year so high volume shooting is not an issue.
I wish someone would make an high cap 10mm for small people like me, but that is just a pipe dream.
How is it that the recoil spring would not reduce the impact on the frame? I thought that was what they do??? They are the component that is what separates the slide from bottoming out on the frame right? So a stiffer spring should in fact absorb more recoil force then a softer one...... I would think.

If you enjoyed reading about "Sig 220 24lbs spring in a 226?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!